Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Soria, Scherzer, VMart

I almost think we should let Vmart go if he wants 4 years and sign Billy Butler at a fraction of the cost. Butler is a better hitter than he has been lately, and Kauffman Stadium doesn't help. Put him in front of or behind Miggy and I think he would feel more comfortable than ever. Then we'd have to sign Aoki or Markakis to get out left handed bat.

I almost think we should let Vmart go if he wants 4 years and sign Billy Butler at a fraction of the cost. Butler is a better hitter than he has been lately, and Kauffman Stadium doesn't help. Put him in front of or behind Miggy and I think he would feel more comfortable than ever. Then we'd have to sign Aoki or Markakis to get out left handed bat.
I'd rather sign LaRoche than Butler. Lh bat with power and a plus defender at 1st. Cost will be about the same

LaRoche would be the nice strong side of a DH platoon. Can't hit lefties to save his life, but absolutely crushes righties.

Depends, if no one signs him into January or February, he could be had cheaply. Same goes for Morse or Cuddyer as the RH side of a DH platoon.

The offseason drives me nuts, because I want stuff to happen but it takes so damn long.

I really hope DD makes some good moves, but I'm worried he's gonna fuck it all up. I lost a lot of faith in him after last offseason.

Last edited:
This off season is going to be very interesting. The free agent pool sucks and the Tigers have a bunch of holes to fill. I don't see how they can improve their team without a trade.

This off season is going to be very interesting. The free agent pool sucks and the Tigers have a bunch of holes to fill. I don't see how they can improve their team without a trade.

That trade will probably have to include Kinsler or one of Price/Sanchez/Porcello. They are awfully thin down on the farm to be trading more prospects away for older talent

That trade will probably have to include Kinsler or one of Price/Sanchez/Porcello. They are awfully thin down on the farm to be trading more prospects away for older talent

I agree...I meant a trade of one of their ML players...not prospects.

They are awfully thin down on the farm to be trading more prospects away for older talent

Never stopped DD before, so I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

My guess is Travis, Hill, Moya, Mercedes, Collins, VerHagen, and anyone else is available as trade bait.

I'm also trying to promise myself that I won't be shocked no matter what happens. Nobody saw Fielder coming in 2012, or Fister being traded last year, so I'm expecting something big to happen between now and April 1st. The question will only be will I be happily shocked like in 2012, or nearly homicidal with rage like last year.

Stay tuned.

I think our OF holes are more pressing than DH, even if we dont re-sign VMart. I think a LaRoche/Cuddyer platoon could work nicely, but we need a CF and LHH corner OF to platoon with Davis really badly with few ways to fill that, especially if Markakis resigns with the O's.

I think our OF holes are more pressing than DH, even if we dont re-sign VMart. I think a LaRoche/Cuddyer platoon could work nicely, but we need a CF and LHH corner OF to platoon with Davis really badly with few ways to fill that, especially if Markakis resigns with the O's.

I'm not sure that adding 2 DH to this roster is a good idea.

Agree.... no DH that can only swing over to 1B. A swinger is preferred. But he must adapt to either other infield positions or play corner outfield or catcher.

One of the reasons Vmart is the ideal DH. Hits very well from both sides of the plate.

Many teams will be very interested in him, he is going to get P-A-I-D.

I don't see what the issue would be with having Miggy, LaRoche, and Cuddyer all on the roster. Miggy plays 1B, LaRoche and Cuddyer share DH and bench bat roles. LaRoche can back up Miggy at 1B (as can Cuddyer), and Cuddyer can play 3B or corner OF in a pinch. With Davis to backup all 3 OF positions, McCann to backup/platoon with Avila, and Romine (or someone else) to backup 3B, SS, and 2B, its not like Cuddyer/LaRoche would be taking up an extra bench spot. And we'd FINALLY have a goddamn bench bat, the first useful one since Thames.

With 13 position players, here's how the roster would shape up:

1B: Miggy
2B: Kinsler
SS: Iggy
3B: Castellanos
RF or LF: JDMart
RF or LF: LHH OF to be named
CF: defensive wizard to be named
C: Avila
DH: LaRoche/Cuddyer

Bench:
LaRoche/Cuddyer
Davis
Romine
McCann

I fail to see any big issues with this if we don't resign VMart.

Last edited:
Cuddyer is the field, no thanks. Oh btw..outside of Coors last season he batted like a low end 2B. LaRoche, the same. We don't need .720 OPS at DH.

Last edited:
I don't see what the issue would be with having Miggy, LaRoche, and Cuddyer all on the roster. Miggy plays 1B, LaRoche and Cuddyer share DH and bench bat roles. LaRoche can back up Miggy at 1B (as can Cuddyer), and Cuddyer can play 3B or corner OF in a pinch. With Davis to backup all 3 OF positions, McCann to backup/platoon with Avila, and Romine (or someone else) to backup 3B, SS, and 2B, its not like Cuddyer/LaRoche would be taking up an extra bench spot. And we'd FINALLY have a goddamn bench bat, the first useful one since Thames.

With 13 position players, here's how the roster would shape up:

1B: Miggy
2B: Kinsler
SS: Iggy
3B: Castellanos
RF or LF: JDMart
RF or LF: LHH OF to be named
CF: defensive wizard to be named
C: Avila
DH: LaRoche/Cuddyer

Bench:
LaRoche/Cuddyer
Davis
Romine
McCann

I fail to see any big issues with this if we don't resign VMart.

From what I have read LaRoche is the best available free agent 1B. There are a few teams that need a full time 1B. MLB trade rumors predicts that he will get a 2 year $30M deal but will be looking for a 3 year deal.

Last edited:
He generally crushes LHP regardless of where he hits, and he would generally face mostly LHP. I agree I'd rather not see him in the field, but he'd be there for his bat.

From what I have read LaRoche is the best available free agent 1B. There are a few teams that need a full time 1B. MLB trade rumors predicts that he will get a 2 year $30M deal but will be looking for a 3 year deal.

We gotta have some sort of backup plan if we dont re-sign VMart.

Back