Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Soria, Scherzer, VMart

Platoon DH's is never a good idea, Takes up a roster spot. We already have Miggy and stone hands Castellanos..add 2-more inept defensive players is a bad idea.

If they end up being expensive its not a great idea, but if they dont I still dont see the problem. We NEED a bench bat, who the hell cares if its because we have a DH platoon?

And since the other 3 bench spots are largely defensive replacements, one can afford not to be. We've had benches of nothing but defensive replacements lately (to most of our complaint), and now no one wants one bench spot to go to a guy with questionable defense but a good bat? For fucks sake. Bench players WONT be both. If they were good at everything, they'd be fucking starters.

If we can't resign Vmart (though I believe we will) I don't have a problem with just scrapping the everyday DH role all together.

Fill the team with as much talent and versatility as possible, then make the lineups out based on the best strategy vs. the opponent.

For example maybe vs. a weak hitting team with a bunch of speedy guys you make Nick C the DH and have the utility IF (Suarez/Romine/Perez) play 3B, the same setup with Porcello and Sanchez on the mound who get lots of ground balls. Or maybe you want both Avila and McCaan in a game vs. a specific RHP, then one of them can DH.

Having the DH spot open makes the team more versatile, the problem is not replacing Victors bat specifically at DH, but overall, no matter where it hits from.

Like seriously, we need a bench bat even if we keep VMart. Why the fuck would it matter if its as part of a DH platoon?

If they end up being expensive its not a great idea, but if they dont I still dont see the problem. We NEED a bench bat, who the hell cares if its because we have a DH platoon?

And since the other 3 bench spots are largely defensive replacements, one can afford not to be. We've had benches of nothing but defensive replacements lately (to most of our complaint), and now no one wants one bench spot to go to a guy with questionable defense but a good bat? For fucks sake. Bench players WONT be both. If they were good at everything, they'd be fucking starters.

if the Tigers had every day players that were both (good offensively and defensivley) they could afford to have a good mix on the bench. Unfortunately, they don't...most of the Tiger's every day players are below average defensively.

If we can't resign Vmart (though I believe we will) I don't have a problem with just scrapping the everyday DH role all together.

Fill the team with as much talent and versatility as possible, then make the lineups out based on the best strategy vs. the opponent.

For example maybe vs. a weak hitting team with a bunch of speedy guys you make Nick C the DH and have the utility IF (Suarez/Romine/Perez) play 3B, the same setup with Porcello and Sanchez on the mound who get lots of ground balls. Or maybe you want both Avila and McCaan in a game vs. a specific RHP, then one of them can DH.

Having the DH spot open makes the team more versatile, the problem is not replacing Victors bat specifically at DH, but overall, no matter where it hits from.

This is what most AL teams do. I think only the Tigers and Boston have a full time DH. KC and Baltimore also have their DH (Butler and Cruz) but they spent a little more time in the field than Ortiz and VMart.

if the Tigers had every day players that were both (good offensively and defensivley) they could afford to have a good mix on the bench. Unfortunately, they don't...most of the Tiger's every day players are below average defensively.

I disagree.

Our whole IF except 3B is average or above. Depending on what the eventual solution to the outfield is we could end up average or above at 6 of 8 everyday defensive positions.

I disagree.

Our whole IF except 3B is average or above. Depending on what the eventual solution to the outfield is we could end up average or above at 6 of 8 everyday defensive positions.

I was speaking to what was out there last year. The team that started the playoffs all of the outfield was way below average, 3B was terrible, ss below average (average when Romine was in there). 2b, C and 1B were the only positions that were average or above average.

This doesnt make any sense to me. Why shouldn't we still try to build a more balanced bench? Are you saying that because some of our regulars dont play good defense, we should only have good defensive replacements on the bench? If so, please never complain again about not having a bench bat, like we could have used in game 3. (if not, ignore that part lols)

Besides, hopefully the moves DD makes this offseason will improve the overall team defense by getting a CF and corner OF who can play good defense (especially CF). JDMart is below average but not terrible, Miggy isnt nearly as bad at 1B as he was at 3B (and he's a damn sight better than Prince), and we already have very good defenders at C, 2B, and SS. Nick only really has room for improvement, and hopefully he'll end up only being below average eventually instead of abysmal.

So basically, we're terrible at one spot, below average (to MAYBE fringe average, like Miggy was this year) at 2 more, excellent at 3, and will hopefully be average minimum at 2 others. I just dont see why having a guy who can hit but not really play defense as ONE bench spot is a bad idea.

I was speaking to what was out there last year. The team that started the playoffs all of the outfield was way below average, 3B was terrible, ss below average (average when Romine was in there). 2b, C and 1B were the only positions that were average or above average.

Last year doesn't matter anymore and has no bearing on this discussion given the holes we need to fill, except to serve as an example of why we need to find good defensive players for CF and a corner spot. And remember, we get an elite defensive SS back for free this year with Iggy's return.

I also don't understand the explanation about the bench having anything to do with defense.

Last year our bench defense was only an upgrade when Kelly played 3rd or corner OF. Everyone else, Suarez, Carerra, Holiday, and Davis were all below average defensive players and everyone off the bench was below average offensive players as well except Davis vs. LHP.

Last year doesn't matter anymore and has no bearing on this discussion given the holes we need to fill, except to serve as an example of why we need to find good defensive players for CF and a corner spot. And remember, we get an elite defensive SS back for free this year with Iggy's return.

we were talking about why the Tigers had to have defensive replacements on the bench last year.

As far as your other post...I agree 100% that they need to have good defensive players in CF and in the corner OF spot. IF they are able to get those filled I have no problem with a balanced bench with a bat. However, LaRoche isn't going to be that guy. He is still an everyday player and will be paid accordingly.

I also don't understand the explanation about the bench having anything to do with defense.

Last year our bench defense was only an upgrade when Kelly played 3rd or corner OF. Everyone else, Suarez, Carerra, Holiday, and Davis were all below average defensive players and everyone off the bench was below average offensive players as well except Davis vs. LHP.

true...those guys were only on the team because the Tigers had no other options. This is because DD has built a Stars and scrubs team. Unfortunately, that is not going to change any time soon.

we were talking about why the Tigers had to have defensive replacements on the bench last year.

That's really only your assessment of the bench Tom. I don't know that anyone else would characterize our bench last year as defensive replacements.

That's really only your assessment of the bench Tom. I don't know that anyone else would characterize our bench last year as defensive replacements.

fair enough. How about I just call them bodies.

fair enough. How about I just call them bodies.

Sure, that works.

But I also agree with Spock, we have to have someone on the bench who can hit or have offensive impact in a given situation, and we have not had that since Marcus Thames.

While I will agree I'm not keen on the idea of signing 2 DH type players, I also don't care if we have a defensive dud on the bench so long as he can contribute when we need it. In fact, I'd much rather have a bench made up of offensive type players than defensive ones given a choice. Defense is nice but this ain't football, and defense doesn't ever get you any points, only offense does. And that's what ultimately wins games.

LaRoche isnt quite an everyday player, he can't hit lefties. he might get paid like one, but hopefully it wont be by us. id take him cheap.

Last edited:
Like seriously, we need a bench bat even if we keep VMart. Why the fuck would it matter if its as part of a DH platoon?

That's where we differ..i don't believe Cuddyer and LaRoche are worth having at all. I rather have a defensive no hit vs a barely stick, IMO, no glove.

Now, lately we haven't had bench guys that played much on defense but I'd still rather see it.

You say Cuddyer can mash lefties regardless where he hits. I don't.

Last edited:
Rockies QO'd Cuddyer, so he's out of the picture officially.

Back