Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

VMart signs a new 4 year deal

1983 Wade Boggs Age 25 27 errors .948 Fielding percentage, 4 Gold Gloves
1974 Mike Schmidt Age 24 26 errors .954 fielding percentage 16 gold gloves
2014 Nick Castellanos Age 22 15 errors .950 Fielding percentage

I Don't think that 15 errors is a bad job for a rookie 3rd basemen that has been changing positions his whole minor league career.

Pretty sure rated as the worst defensive player in baseball regardless of position. Fielding pct and errors doesnt mean much when you dont get to anything.
I Don't think that 15 errors is a bad job for a rookie 3rd basemen that has been changing positions his whole minor league career.

Last edited:
Third base isn't Short Stop or second base. You don't have to Get to the ball, it gets to you.

You aren't seriously using fielding percentage and errors as your gauge are you?

Try to understand that sometimes errors occur when a player gets to a ball but can't make the play, while the same ball might go right past another 3B.

Nick has terrible hands, and stone feet. And I don't think you can keep using the "positional transition" excuse considering he's still played more in 3B than anywhere else.

You aren't seriously using fielding percentage and errors as your gauge are you?

Try to understand that sometimes errors occur when a player gets to a ball but can't make the play, while the same ball might go right past another 3B.

Nick has terrible hands, and stone feet. And I don't think you can keep using the "positional transition" excuse considering he's still played more in 3B than anywhere else.

Go and get your stat of choice for the three that I listed. Don't just spout off with out providing any substance to the conversation. If you like a stat better than Errors and FP post it. I made my point using comparative statistics, you bitched about it.

Advanced metrics weren't kept in Boggs and Scmidts era. All I will tell you is -30 defensive runs saved. Worst in baseball, next lowest at 3rd was chisenhall at -14.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/sto...-gold-glove-hunter-altuve-castellanos/slide/4

UZR/150: minus-19.1

Measured by DRS (he finished at minus-30), Castellanos was not only the worst defensive third baseman, too, but he was the worst everyday defender at any position. Only Rays shortstop Yunel Escobar (minus-24) and Astros center fielder Dexter Fowler (minus-20) were even relatively close to Detroit’s rookie third baseman in DRS.

Advanced metrics weren't kept in Boggs and Scmidts era. All I will tell you is -30 defensive runs saved. Worst in baseball, next lowest at 3rd was chisenhall at -14.

Just awful. Double the next nearest guy..

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/53268/ranking-each-teams-worst-position-in-2014

1. Detroit Tigers 3B: 3.7 wins below average

This might surprise you since Nick Castellanos had a solid rookie season at the plate, hitting .259 with 46 extra-base hits. But solid isn't the same as good, as the Tigers ranked 18th in the majors in wOBA at third base. But the biggest liability here was Castellanos' defense: His -30 defensive runs saved ranked worst in the majors -- at any position.

Fix for 2015: It's still Castellanos' job. The Tigers have to hope for improvement in all areas.

Gotta love V-Mart! He is a leader in the clubhouse. Mr I loves him. Glad we got him back

He probably wouldn't have lasted long there either. Based on his footwork he had 1B/DH written all over him

.700 OPS and 11 HR is not going to cut it for 1B/DH though.

If he can develop a little more power, a solid .750 - .780 OPS and 15-20 HR will work as a RF though. You can hide bad defense a little better in the COF than on 3B.

Nick is only 22 years old. Once he realizes that pulling the ball more to LF will make him a complete and better hitter, he will be annually at 20 homers.

He's not a 1B. He can't scoop the ball well at all. He's a bit clumsy / awkward at 3B with his footings and that would transfer over to the other corner of the infield.

LF or DH is his 'safe-zone' future. :nod:

Last edited:
Nick is only 22 years old. Once he realizes that pulling the ball more to LF will make him a complete and better hitter, he will be annually at 20 homers.

He's not a 1B. He can't scoop the ball well at all. He's a bit clumsy / awkward at 3B with his footings and that would transfer over to the other corner of the infield.

That might be the first time I've heard "pulling the ball more to LF.." and "complete and better hitter.." in the same sentence.

Personally, I would put him in RF, the majority of hitters are right-handed so more balls go to left and left center. When we play a lefty heavy lineup, I'd sit him.

I've thought long and hard about Nick C. and despite his age, no matter what position he plays, imo, he will be a liabilty.

he is best used in a trade. sorry. I know, we would need a 3rd baseman.

Last edited:
Back