Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

We Traded Devin Travis to Jays

At least he's a lefty so against RHP he's passable. I'm not sure how his defense is, a bit above average maybe. But as far as minor league numbers go Travis was much better at the plate. Probably wanted someone with major league experience.

Last edited:
I'm stunned. This guy has Neifi Perez offensive stat potential. I remember how we all loved that guy on the team.

Top prospect for this guy...awesome! Of course it is the Tiger's top prospect...so the really didn't give up too much!

Top prospect for this guy...awesome! Of course it is the Tiger's top prospect...so the really didn't give up too much!

Well, we are set at 2B with Hernan Perez after we trade Kinsler, Moya and McCann for Evan Gattis.

Last edited:
As much as some of you guys seem to hate this trade, it made sense. I don't love losing our top prospect, but we aren't getting old, expensive trash in return. We have Kinsler signed through 2017 and have a team option in 2018. Behind him, we have other capable enough middle infielders in Saurez, Perez, and Romine. Travis just wasn't going to see the field in Detroit.

We also needed a good defensive CF, which Gose is. He's also young (24 vs. 23 for Travis), hits lefty, he's very fast, and he was a very high prospect (Top 100, like Travis just became) before hitting the majors in 2012. Beyond that, he's under team control through 2020. This deal just made sense for both sides.

The Tigers should look much different in 2015 with Iglesias back as SS, and Gose in CF (at least part-time). We should be a much quicker team with great defense up the middle.

If he can get up to about his MiLB stats (.334 OBP, .715 OPS) he'll be a real asset, his defense is top-notch and he's great on the basepaths. If not, he still has top-notch defense and speed. The guy can really field. Like king said, he's still only 24 and theres still time for his bat to improve. The only way this move sucks is if he hits below his weight AND DD doesnt get another corner OF. A JDMart-Gose-Davis starting set is not ML quality (mostly because of Davis, tbh.)

Travis is overrated, I've read his ceiling is not that high. Being the top prospect in our system is being like the shiniest turd in a pile of shit. And lets not fool ourselves, the BA list for his year is dumb as hell. Theres no way Hill isn't our best prospect.

Last edited:
I'd much rather trade Kinsler for a CF and promote Perez or Travis

It looks like a good move to me. Gose was a top 100 prospect himself. He is only a year older than travis and he can play now. This is much better than wrapping up $5 million in Colby Rasmus. We had to pay Jackson $5 million to play center without hitting. Now we have a new Jackson in Gose that doesn't cost much.

This is true. A team best prospect as a second baseman means the rest of the top 10 isn't that great. Unless he hit(s) like Hornsby/Gehringer/ or a Morgan clone.
Gose is one of several who can run down anything NSEW. It's possible they checked on JBJr from boston and they wanted more than what Tigers wanted to give up. Sounds like he and Iggy will bat 8th and 9th.

I'd much rather trade Kinsler for a CF and promote Perez or Travis

Kinsler is nearly untradeable without us either throwing a big lump of cash in to the deal, or giving up any young players you would replace him with.

Either of these options negates any benefit of trading him in the first place.

This is true. A team best prospect as a second baseman means the rest of the top 10 isn't that great. Unless he hit(s) like Hornsby/Gehringer/ or a Morgan clone.
Gose is one of several who can run down anything NSEW. It's possible they checked on JBJr from boston and they wanted more than what Tigers wanted to give up. Sounds like he and Iggy will bat 8th and 9th.

I would like to see him be a platoon partner with Davis and get another corner OF.

As much as some of you guys seem to hate this trade, it made sense. I don't love losing our top prospect, but we aren't getting old, expensive trash in return. We have Kinsler signed through 2017 and have a team option in 2018. Behind him, we have other capable enough middle infielders in Saurez, Perez, and Romine. Travis just wasn't going to see the field in Detroit.

We also needed a good defensive CF, which Gose is. He's also young (24 vs. 23 for Travis), hits lefty, he's very fast, and he was a very high prospect (Top 100, like Travis just became) before hitting the majors in 2012. Beyond that, he's under team control through 2020. This deal just made sense for both sides.

The Tigers should look much different in 2015 with Iglesias back as SS, and Gose in CF (at least part-time). We should be a much quicker team with great defense up the middle.

We get young trash instead? Gose is not Peter Bourjos, both offensively and defensively.

Gose's top 100 ranking came after the 2011 season in which he had a home OPS of .808 versus an Away OPS of .661. He has not stayed up at the majors since 2012 and his stats offensively is anything but Hernan Perez-like. While his defense in CF is good, it is NOT in the same category as Bourjos.

Career Home .316 OBP .364 SLG .680 OPS

Career Away .286 OBP .297 SLG .587 OPS

Career vs RHP .316 OBP .350 SLG .666 OPS

Career vs LHP .246 OBP .267 SLG .513 OPS

We get young trash instead? Gose is not Peter Bourjos, both offensively and defensively.

Gose's top 100 ranking came after the 2011 season in which he had a home OPS of .808 versus an Away OPS of .661. He has not stayed up at the majors since 2012 and his stats offensively is anything but Hernan Perez-like. While his defense in CF is good, it is NOT in the same category as Bourjos.

Career Home .316 OBP .364 SLG .680 OPS

Career Away .286 OBP .297 SLG .587 OPS

Career vs RHP .316 OBP .350 SLG .666 OPS

Career vs LHP .246 OBP .267 SLG .513 OPS
Why am I not surprised that you hate this trade? You seem to hate every trade DD makes. People say we need to get better defensively, then bitch when we trade for a defender who is most likely only going to platoon with Davis anyhow. Remember, the outfield isn't a finished product yet. Watch for us to sign (Melky?) or trade for a good hitter to play one of the corner spots. Heck, we may even sign or trade for a 3B and move Castellanos and his awful glove out to the outfield where it'd be more tolerable. Taking this deal in a vacuum, we got a fast, young, cheap and controlled defensive CF who bats lefty... all things we sorely needed. What did we give up? A young minor league 2B who was blocked by at least two other players for the foreseeable future. Could we have gotten something different or better for Travis? Who knows. To that point, what makes you think that we could have even gotten Bourjos, let alone for Travis? I'm sure you know this already, but it takes two to tango... the Cards would have to want what we've got, and we'd have to want what they've got, and that still may not be enough to get a deal done. This isn't a video game or fantasy draft, yet posters always want to sit back and second guess every trade or signing as if any and all other options were on the table at the time. Don't take what I say here as an attack on you, Rebbiv, or a complete defense of DD... it's neither of those things. I am just trying to say that we got what we needed (on paper anyways), and we only had to give up a guy who was blocked to do so.

You're right, he's not Bourjos with the bat...Bourjos is as bad or worse, given his career away line of .259 OBP .305 SLG .564 OPS.

And even though Bourjos is a righty, he's somehow almost as bad vs LHP as Gose: .252 OBP .330 SLG .582 OPS.

Sure, Gose probably isnt as good in the field as Bourjos...who is, really? But Gose is ~3 years younger, cheap, controlled, still excellent defensively, and still can improve with the bat. And who knows if Bourjos is even available, especially given that Taveras just died?

All in all, I think this was a good trade.

Last edited:
What am I missing ?

Travis, 23, batted .298/.358/.460 with 10 home runs and 16 stolen bases in 441 plate a AA Erie...
I thought we needed OBP from anyone :/

I know we need outfield defense but are we just trading a guy cause he is coming off a surgery? I hope you guys are right... I know the kid is blocked at second base but numbers wise I feel sorta like DD was fleeced a tad...

Last edited:
Back