Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Green to Tigers Ray To Diamonds Backs

stonecold2136

3 way deal. Names in play, according to sources and reports: Gregorius, going to #Yankees. Greene, going to #Tigers. Ray, going to #DBacks. Others, too.

10:16 AM - 5 Dec 2014

Source: Deal also includes Greene to #Tigers, Ray to #DBacks and another minor leaguer going from DET to AZ.

10:21 AM - 5 Dec 2014

Jon Morosi ✔ @jonmorosi
Follow
DBacks will acquire Robbie Ray and an infielder from the Tigers in this trade.

10:32 AM - 5 Dec 2014

Last edited:
Bye bye Robbie Ray don't let the door hit you in the ass.

So its Ray to the D-backs from the Tigers and the Tigers are also sending an unnamed minor league IF'er to the D-backs

Yankees get SS Gregorius

The Tigers get SP/RP Shane Green

Sending Leyba to AZ as well. The Tigers are supposed to get a relief pitcher in the deal as well (maybe 2)

DD setting up for a Porcello, Price, or Sanchez trade? For some reason, I think Max is going to wind up back here, and Porcello is going to get traded away. Could be for Cespedes and some BP help, though I wouldn't mind seeing Castellanos packaged in an attempt to net Boegarts if The Red Sox are our next trade partners. I know they are high on Boegarts, but they did just go out and sign HanRam and Panda long-term.

Ray, the focal-prospect in the Fister deal, is sent packing. On a Friday. Excellent. Shane Greene appears to be another middling reliever with no upside. 25 years old. Mediocre-at-best career stats. I bet he won't even make the team.

Ray, the focal-prospect in the Fister deal, is sent packing. On a Friday. Excellent. Shane Greene appears to be another middling reliever with no upside. 25 years old. Mediocre-at-best career stats. I bet he won't even make the team.

I know next to nothing about Greene, but it says on MLBTR that he's a candidate to be our fifth starter...

"Greene is a candidate to immediately fill the fifth slot in the Tigers? rotation behind David Price, Justin Verlander, Anibal Sanchez and Rick Porcello. The 26-year-old had an impressive debut with the Yankees in 2014, making 15 appearances (14 starts) and posting a 3.78 ERA (3.73 FIP, 3.40 xFIP, 3.41 SIERA) with 9.3 K/9, 3.3 BB/9 and a 50.2 percent ground-ball rate in 78 2/3 innings. Greene averaged a solid 93.1 mph on his fastball last year and gives the Tigers a piece they can potentially control in the long-term, with Price and Porcello set to hit free agency next winter. Greene is controllable through the 2020 season."

I don't mind this. Ray sucked in his few starts last year, Greene doesn't have a terrible ERA for a rookie pitching in a bandbox at Yankee Stadium.

I like the trade. From what ive read, Leyba is a high-floor guy with zero power who still might never hit, and I think Greene has a better chance of being a mid-rotation starter than Ray.

this trade doesn't look terrible, but it makes the Fister trade look even worse.

I don't mind this. Ray sucked in his few starts last year, Greene doesn't have a terrible ERA for a rookie pitching in a bandbox at Yankee Stadium.

while he had a limited number of starts his home ERA was 4.71 (8 starts) and his away ERA was 2.70 (6 starts and one relief appearance)

2014 PF has Yankee Stadium as a pitcher's park in runs. (.945). Greene's career minor-league WHIP: 1.487. This is a non-deal that only reveals the true value of Ray and further evidence that the Tigers were skinned in that exchange.

On the bright side, this gives some of you guys a reason to dig up that dead horse and beat it some more.

These are the types of players we are going to get when you have so many guys making huge $$$. Stars and scrubs....and it doesn't work in baseball.

I'm sure Rebbiv will have some stats to add here soon, but I personally have a hard time putting much stock into AL East pitcher ERAs and HR totals. Baltimore, Boston, and New York all have ridiculously small outfield sections. Tampa is a complete dungeon with catwalks and other nonsense. Toronto is the most dimensionally "normal", but it's also odd in that it has a retractable roof and that weird 3d turf everywhere but at the bases. Maybe it all evens out in the end, but each of these stadiums can really magnify certain pitching strenghts and weaknesses by playing faster, having a shorter RF/LF fence, having weird gaps, etc.

he wouldn't be a bad option at the 5th starter, better than any internal candidate that we have now.

I just wonder what this means as far as our other starters, maybe we trade price or porcello if Max does come back?

I'm sure Rebbiv will have some stats to add here soon, but I personally have a hard time putting much stock into AL East pitcher ERAs and HR totals. Baltimore, Boston, and New York all have ridiculously small outfield sections. Tampa is a complete dungeon with catwalks and other nonsense. Toronto is the most dimensionally "normal", but it's also odd in that it has a retractable roof and that weird 3d turf everywhere but at the bases. Maybe it all evens out in the end, but each of these stadiums can really magnify certain pitching strenghts and weaknesses by playing faster, having a shorter RF/LF fence, having weird gaps, etc.

I think what concerns me more are his minor league numbers. It really doesn't matter too much...if he turns out to be a 4.5 era type guy that can pitch 180-200 innings a year while he is cheap (3-5 years)....that is probably all the Tigers are looking for.

I think what concerns me more are his minor league numbers. It really doesn't matter too much...if he turns out to be a 4.5 era type guy that can pitch 180-200 innings a year while he is cheap (3-5 years)....that is probably all the Tigers are looking for.
I have no issue with him being a fifth starter candidate. Ray seemed destined for the BP, and maybe not even ready for that this year. Not gonna beat a dead horse on the Fister deal because it made almost no sense from the get go. Hopefully Greene becomes that cheap innings eating fifth starter we need.

Next week could get really interesting for us. I'm expecting to see Porcello moved. I'd say Price is less likely since he's way better, and he's a lefty. I think there's a decent chance that we resign Max and roll with Price/Scherzer/Sanchez/JV/Greene as our rotation next year, then worry about signing Price next offseason. I don't think this is gonna get blown up until Mr. I dies.

If anything we know Greene at least pitched decent at times last season. Ray is a POS destined to be a career minor leaguer.

Last edited:
Back