Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Green to Tigers Ray To Diamonds Backs

I have no issue with him being a fifth starter candidate. Ray seemed destined for the BP, and maybe not even ready for that this year. Not gonna beat a dead horse on the Fister deal because it made almost no sense from the get go. Hopefully Greene becomes that cheap innings eating fifth starter we need.

Next week could get really interesting for us. I'm expecting to see Porcello moved. I'd say Price is less likely since he's way better, and he's a lefty. I think there's a decent chance that we resign Max and roll with Price/Scherzer/Sanchez/JV/Greene as our rotation next year, then worry about signing Price next offseason. I don't think this is gonna get blown up until Mr. I dies.

I think there is almost no chance that they resign Scherzer AND try and re-sign Price after next season. They would have well about $90-$95M annually in 4 starting pitchers. You can NOT build a team around that!

I don't mind the trade at all. Greene is serviceable as a starter, where there was always questions on whether Ray could develop a secondary/tertiary pitch to be effective as a starter. Now we know the response, at least from the Tigers.

Greene 2014 Home 5.84 ERA 1.82 WHIP .832 OPP OPS 2.14 SO/BB

Greene 2014 Away 3.09 ERA 1.22 WHIP .649 OPP OPS 2.89 SO/BB

Greene 2013 Home 4.30 ERA 1.47 WHIP .770 OPP OPS 3.59 SO/BB

Greene 2013 Away 2.10 ERA 1.14 WHIP .658 OPP OPS 7.25 SO/BB

Greene 2012 Home 6.18 ERA 1.65 WHIP .769 OPP OPS 1.23 SO/BB

Greene 2012 Away 4.43 ERA 1.51 WHIP .709 OPP OPS 2.07 SO/BB

At least for the last 2 years, his Away stats are highly encouraging. Was 2012 an aberration? His SO/BB and Opponent OPS Away the last 3 years indicate a good middle of the order starter. Just my opinion, but this was a good value pickup.

I don't mind the trade at all. Greene is serviceable as a starter, where there was always questions on whether Ray could develop a secondary/tertiary pitch to be effective as a starter. Now we know the response, at least from the Tigers.

Greene 2014 Home 5.84 ERA 1.82 WHIP .832 OPP OPS 2.14 SO/BB

Greene 2014 Away 3.09 ERA 1.22 WHIP .649 OPP OPS 2.89 SO/BB

Greene 2013 Home 4.30 ERA 1.47 WHIP .770 OPP OPS 3.59 SO/BB

Greene 2013 Away 2.10 ERA 1.14 WHIP .658 OPP OPS 7.25 SO/BB

Greene 2012 Home 6.18 ERA 1.65 WHIP .769 OPP OPS 1.23 SO/BB

Greene 2012 Away 4.43 ERA 1.51 WHIP .709 OPP OPS 2.07 SO/BB

At least for the last 2 years, his Away stats are highly encouraging. Was 2012 an aberration? His SO/BB and Opponent OPS Away the last 3 years indicate a good middle of the order starter. Just my opinion, but this was a good value pickup.

It speaks of cauterizing the amputated arm to me. Unless you are saying that Yankee Stadium is the only anomaly and we'll see these away numbers at Comerica as well.

It speaks of cauterizing the amputated arm to me. Unless you are saying that Yankee Stadium is the only anomaly and we'll see these away numbers at Comerica as well.

Yankee stadium was just a fraction of where he pitched at the last 3 years. The numbers I showed for last year also included the minor leagues.

I did not say in the previous post that he was going to be a top of the rotation starter, just that he would be serviceable and have good value.

It's a place where Granderson can hit 40+ home runs. That should tell you enough about Yankee stadium.

I think there is almost no chance that they resign Scherzer AND try and re-sign Price after next season. They would have well about $90-$95M annually in 4 starting pitchers. You can NOT build a team around that!

i think they are looking at either or, maybe neither but certainly not both. Porcello won't be cheap either given the young age that he'd hit the market at

i think they are looking at either or, maybe neither but certainly not both. Porcello won't be cheap either given the young age that he'd hit the market at

RP would still be cheaper than the other two. And much younger. Keep RP..he's been very good. Sign Max or Price and add them to JV and you got too many 30 something that all could be #4's in a few years.

Probably right. My guess is only one of the 3 are on the Tigers in 2016. Price and Scherzer are going to get at least $25M per year. Porcello...depends on what he does this season. My guess is he could get anywhere between Sanchez numbers up to $24M+ per year if he continues to improve this season.

Since were on the topic of bringing up previous topics....can you atleast now agree with me that it was a salary dump? lol

Since were on the topic of bringing up previous topics....can you atleast now agree with me that it was a salary dump? lol

It wasn't a salary dumb..it was just a dumb trade. You don't salary dump a guy making peanuts but then signing an expensive closer, trading for Price and then resigning Victor for 4 years. That was after they offered Max 144m.

None of that says salary dump.

Anyone who still see's that trade as part of a salary dump obviously got a D- in elementary school math.

Of course, maybe DD did too.

Yankee stadium was just a fraction of where he pitched at the last 3 years. The numbers I showed for last year also included the minor leagues.

I did not say in the previous post that he was going to be a top of the rotation starter, just that he would be serviceable and have good value.

Possibly true, but had the Tigers traded Fister for Greene and Krol ... actually they essentially did.

It wasn't a salary dumb..it was just a dumb trade. You don't salary dump a guy making peanuts but then signing an expensive closer, trading for Price and then resigning Victor for 4 years. That was after they offered Max 144m.

None of that says salary dump.

dropping a player that doesn't want to be here long term and that youd have to pay in the near future in order to "potentially" better your closer situation. Call it whaever you want....it was obvious he didn't want to pay both. And now all the pieces that were brought over in the fister trade are gone within a year. Pretty obvious he was dumped to me...but you guys can justify it however you want. Either way it was dumb. And in hindsight it was really dumb since Nathan sucked ass.

dropping a player that doesn't want to be here long term and that youd have to pay in the near future in order to "potentially" better your closer situation. Call it whaever you want....it was obvious he didn't want to pay both. And now all the pieces that were brought over in the fister trade are gone within a year. Pretty obvious he was dumped to me...but you guys can justify it however you want. Either way it was dumb. And in hindsight it was really dumb since Nathan sucked ass.

Fister was cost controlled for two years. And it has only been speculation that Fister wanted to go to a West Coast team. Does anyone have a link from Fister's own mouth that he didn't want to stay in DET?

Davis and Nathan both were immediately signed after the Fister trade.

Sure it was dumb. Even if there is truth to Fister wanting to go to the west coast how is that a salary dump? A "get something while you can" dump maybe but not a salary dump.

Maybe you're confusing the two..

IMG_20141205_173005.jpg

Jesus, this shit again

As to the actual topic. I like the deal. I've checked out a few articles about him and sounds like he could be a solid starter for us. Fairly young and under team control for awhile.

Back