Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Off Season Grades - Jim Bowden

af1991

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the...18/offseason-grades-thus-far-for-all-30-teams

Detroit Tigers -- Grade: B

The Tigers have had a solid offseason, which started with the re-signing of DH Victor Martinez and the trade for fleet center fielder Anthony Gose. Then came two key under-the-radar additions when they added starters Shane Greene and Alfredo Simon, two pitchers without great track records but encouraging 2014 seasons. Outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, whom they acquired from the Red Sox, lengthens their lineup with power and five tools. Despite the denials, most believe Max Scherzer will eventually return to the Tigers; if that's the case, their grade would improve to an A.

And apparently any team gets an "A" for signing Max....

New York Yankees -- Grade: C+

The Yankees are having a solid yet under-the-radar offseason. They acquired shortstop Didi Gregorius, an above-average defensive shortstop with good range to both sides. They also added an impact left-handed setup reliever in Andrew Miller and another left-handed power bullpen arm in Justin Wilson from the Pirates. They are still in the hunt for third baseman Chase Headley, but the only way they get an A now is if they land Max Scherzer.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the...18/offseason-grades-thus-far-for-all-30-teams

Detroit Tigers -- Grade: B

The Tigers have had a solid offseason, which started with the re-signing of DH Victor Martinez and the trade for fleet center fielder Anthony Gose. Then came two key under-the-radar additions when they added starters Shane Greene and Alfredo Simon, two pitchers without great track records but encouraging 2014 seasons. Outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, whom they acquired from the Red Sox, lengthens their lineup with power and five tools. Despite the denials, most believe Max Scherzer will eventually return to the Tigers; if that's the case, their grade would improve to an A.

And apparently any team gets an "A" for signing Max....

New York Yankees -- Grade: C+

The Yankees are having a solid yet under-the-radar offseason. They acquired shortstop Didi Gregorius, an above-average defensive shortstop with good range to both sides. They also added an impact left-handed setup reliever in Andrew Miller and another left-handed power bullpen arm in Justin Wilson from the Pirates. They are still in the hunt for third baseman Chase Headley, but the only way they get an A now is if they land Max Scherzer.

Completely agree , i dont think we are getting Max back but that way not be all to bad . If we did a little more for the bullpen i think we would get an A .

DD gets an incomplete until the bullpen issue is resolved.

Agree but with that said it wouldnt be the first time a club made moves to put a bp togetger and failed abd tgen they bounced back. I havent given up on soria.

Cant count on rondon, anything we get from him will be bonus. I expect Soria to be the closer by June, frankly.

Because hes coming off of tommy John, even if hes fully healthy its likely gonna take him a while to get back to pitching effectively. He might come back strong, he might not be effective all year long. I just think that putting faith in him to be a big part of the bullpen this year is premature at this point. DD can be optimistic all he wants, and he could end up being right...but planning on the assumption that he will be ready without backup is a mistake. What does our bullpen look like with no Rondon again?

Because hes coming off of tommy John, even if hes fully healthy its likely gonna take him a while to get back to pitching effectively. He might come back strong, he might not be effective all year long. I just think that putting faith in him to be a big part of the bullpen this year is premature at this point. DD can be optimistic all he wants, and he could end up being right...but planning on the assumption that he will be ready without backup is a mistake. What does our bullpen look like with no Rondon again?

Fair enough , i guess im just hoping and wishing for something good to come of this bullpen . They shouldnt be as bad as they were last year haha , it seems like it was just a crazy year where anybody who pitched just flat out sucked .

Soria and ABQ are the only guys I trust at all.

Nathan, Hanrahan, and Rondon are all going to be iffy. Nathan because he seems to be losing it, Hanrahan and Rondon returning from serious injuries/surgerys.

Krol, and Putkonnen will never be special, just hope they can be somewhat useful.

Soria and ABQ are the only guys I trust at all.

Nathan, Hanrahan, and Rondon are all going to be iffy. Nathan because he seems to be losing it, Hanrahan and Rondon returning from serious injuries/surgerys.

Krol, and Putkonnen will never be special, just hope they can be somewhat useful.

Hate to agree but i do haha , i think albie is one of the big keys to the bullpen and i look for him to have a more important role next year ( 7th inning when we need and out or 8th inning closer ?? ) One could also say thats Rondon's spot and i would like to see that but as u and others have pointed out , we just dont know yet . Time will tell but it looks like we have our bullpen set , unless we keep scherzer and ask Simon to be a part of the bullpen . From what i read thats not the case but it may work out that way ?

I would not mind using Simon in the bullpen anyways and just trying out Greene and Lobstien for the 4th and 5th spot.

I would not mind using Simon in the bullpen anyways and just trying out Greene and Lobstien for the 4th and 5th spot.

Even tho DD insist's we arent going after scherzer , if we do somehow get him back i bet Simon will go to the bullpen . Which wouldnt be all that bad . imo we have quite a bit of options now and i like it .

I think this is your bullpen, some combination out of the following. He may take a flier on another arm but cant see anyone popular comming here. This team is obviously up against its budget

Righties-Nathan, Soria, Rondon, Albuquerque, Hanrahan, Wilson, Putkonen

Lefties- Krol, Hardy, Ryan, Lobstien

The more DD insists we're not going after Scherzer, the more I think we're going to sign him sometime in January, payroll and luxury tax for this year be damned. If we DO sign Max, we had better win a WS quickly before we turn into the Phillies.

As for Al-Al, as much as we all trust him (and I'm one of the lesser ones, I still worry about his control in tight spots), Ausmus has stated point blank that he's a "6th or maybe 7th inning guy", so we can forget about him being used in spots where he should be unless we get a new manager or this one stops being a fucking moron.

Last edited:
The more DD insists we're not going after Scherzer, the more I think we're going to sign him sometime in January, payroll and luxury tax for this year be damned. If we DO sign Max, we had better win a WS quickly before we turn into the Phillies.

As for Al-Al, as much as we all trust him (and I'm one of the lesser ones, I still worry about his control in tight spots), Ausmus has stated point blank that he's a "6th or maybe 7th inning guy", so we can forget about him being used in spots where he should be unless we get a new manager or this one stops being a fucking moron.

If they do sign Scherzer (I HOPE THEY DO NOT) I think the best thing to do next would be to trade Price for some high end prospects and a good reliever.

If they do sign Scherzer (I HOPE THEY DO NOT) I think the best thing to do next would be to trade Price for some high end prospects and a good reliever.

DD trading for prospects? I hope not he is a poor evaluator. It would not shock me if he signed both Max and Price long term.

Last edited:

Ive always thought that if we do sign max then we have to trade price , but if we dont sign max we should lock up price . Id rather sign max and trade price for a big time player and key side pieces . But looks like we arent signing max so i say lock up price !!

Ive always thought that if we do sign max then we have to trade price , but if we dont sign max we should lock up price . Id rather sign max and trade price for a big time player and key side pieces . But looks like we arent signing max so i say lock up price !!

See, now it's our turn to call you idiot.

You sign Max or Price and you handicap the team to the point we will be the Phillies.

We have some big salaries already, JV, Miggy, Sanchez, Vmart, Kinsler. Those 5 players will cost at least $96,800,000 in 2015. Add Max or Price, plus the $8MM raise Cabrera gets in 2016 and we are well over 130 million for just 6 players, 3 of whom only play every 5 games.

That that will leave for the rest is a bunch of crappy players at every other position.

We cannot afford any more top end contracts.

See, now it's our turn to call you idiot.

You sign Max or Price and you handicap the team to the point we will be the Phillies.

We have some big salaries already, JV, Miggy, Sanchez, Vmart, Kinsler. Those 5 players will cost at least $96,800,000 in 2015. Add Max or Price, plus the $8MM raise Cabrera gets in 2016 and we are well over 130 million for just 6 players, 3 of whom only play every 5 games.

That that will leave for the rest is a bunch of crappy players at every other position.

We cannot afford any more top end contracts.

Very true , after all our owner has proven he wont dish out big loot to anyone. Solid point

Back