Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Some line up ideas

lonesometiger

Unless the Tigers make some more moves. The team is pretty well set.
This is a line up I think the Tigers will try.
Kinsler 3 year splits show .271 best
Cespedes ? he never batted 2nd in the MLB
Cabrera I don't think we move him!
V-Mart Paying him 68 mil to hit behind Cabrera right!
J.D. Martinez Do we want to break up a good thing!
Nick C His splits show he needs to bat 7th.
Davis Has hit every where but his best spot as the 6 spot
Avila His 3 year splits show this is where he needs to BAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iglesias His 3 year splits tells the story, it's here or an out! Unless u really think his 4 for 11 in the 2 spot going the hold up.

Base on there splits here one They should try
Kinsler
Cespedes
Cabrera
V-Mart
J.D. Martinez
Davis
Nick C
Avila
Iglesias

The real problem to me is I don't want our 3,4,5 hitters broke up. But that's is where Cespedes has hit in the MLB. The other problem is that with Iglesias in the line up Davis will be limited to how many times he will bat 9th.

Here one I think they will try
Kinsler
Davis
Cabrera
V-Mart
J.D.Martinez
Cespedes
Nick C
Avila
Iglesias

A little food for thought.

I hate not having a lead off guy, Davis and Kinsler with OBP of .320 and .307 respectively. That's sad. I would maybe try Avila at 1, hope he can bat .240 and with a good walk rate. Hell we need a top of the order hitter..then I'd move Kinsler and Davis down the order, maybe to 7 and 8.

And don't forget about the guy some are waiting for, Moya. With his huge k to BB rate. Just horrible. Can't we anyone that can take a walk. 1 guy and he's our C that hit's .210.

Last edited:
vs RHP:

Avila C
Kinsler 2B
Miggy 1B
Vmart DH
JDMart RF
Cespedes LF
Castellanos 3B
Gose CF
Iggy SS

vs LHP:
Davis CF (good OBP vs LHP)
Kinsler 2B
Miggy 1B
VMart DH
JDMart RF
Cespedes LF
Castellanos 3B
McCann C
Iggy SS

Normally I'd suggest something like VMart 2nd and Miggy 4th, but I know it'll never happen, so heres something slightly more realistic. If Avila doesnt lead off vs RHP, I have no fucking clue who will. Maybe Gose will surprise everyone and be competent vs RHP...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, nope. We're fucked.

If they hit Cespedes 2nd, I'll have a fucking fit. Horrible, horrible idea.

Last edited:
And don't forget about the guy some are waiting for, Moya. With his huge k to BB rate. Just horrible. Can't we anyone that can take a walk. 1 guy and he's our C that hit's .210.

VMart, Avila, and Miggy are the only ones on the team who know how to take a walk. Its fucking pathetic.

Well, and Don Kelly, but he's terrible at everything else, so fuck him. I hope he's gone for good now.

Last edited:
With the current lineup I'd go

Kinsler
JD
Miggy
VMart
Cespedes
Nick C
Avila
Iggy
Davis/Gose

I wouldnt use JD in the 2 hole either, his walk rate is also rather poor. The Tigers just dont value plate discipline.

I wouldn't be set on locking JD in to part of the 3-4-5 yet. While I'm hoping he puts up numbers like last year, until he does, he's till an unknown.

I mean, nobody expects Iggy to hit .303/.349/.386/.735 just because he did it once before.

No real leadoff or # 2 hitter in this lineup;
3 best obp mentioned are slow slower and slowest, although Miggy is a 'smart' baserunner and is usually good at taking an extra base say first to third,
imo, Cespedes needs to bat 6th.

Bless you boys Tigers blog has their ideas on the lineup;
http://www.blessyouboys.com/2014/12/17/7406037/detroit-tigers-2015-lineup-analysis
What will the Tigers' lineup look like in 2015? They moved JD up to the 2 spot vs. RHP, Cespedes 5th.

Last edited:
No real leadoff or # 2 hitter in this lineup;
3 best obp mentioned are slow slower and slowest, although Miggy is a 'smart' baserunner and is usually good at taking an extra base say first to third,
imo, Cespedes needs to bat 6th.

Bless you boys Tigers blog has their ideas on the lineup;
http://www.blessyouboys.com/2014/12/17/7406037/detroit-tigers-2015-lineup-analysis
What will the Tigers' lineup look like in 2015? They moved JD up to the 2 spot vs. RHP, Cespedes 5th.

I like the one against LHP w/ Rajai Davis leading off, It really stretches the bats in lineup.

I think Cespedes will bat 5th and JD will bat 6th. Kinsler will be 1st or 2nd depending on who else is playing that day.

lot of ifs for sure, but at least we still have some fire power, on the offensive end... Pitching, we'll have to wait and see.

Ausmus said Avila 2nd vs RHP is a real possibility.

About fucking time. If he DOES do something like that, I think it'll go:

vs RHP:
Kinsler 2B
Avila C
Miggy 1B
VMart DH
JDMart RF
Cespedes LF
Castellanos 3B
Iggy SS
Gose CF

vs LHP:
Davis CF
Kinsler 2B
Miggy 3B
VMart DH
JDMart RF
Cespedes LF
Castellanos 3B
McCann C
Iggy SS

I could live with those lineups.

Last edited:
Last 3 years VS RHP (total, including minors)

D. Travis .399 OBP 11.3 PA/BB
M. Cabrera .391 OBP 13.9 PA/BB
V. Martinez .388 OBP 13.1 PA/BB
J. Krizan .384 OBP 8.8 PA/BB
W. Bernard .382 OBP 9.8 PA/BB
A. Avila .351 OBP 7.3 PA/BB
E. Suarez .347 OBP 10.3 PA/BB
T. Collins .344 OBP 9.8 PA/BB
X. Avery .340 OBP 11.2 PA/BB
J. Prince .339 OBP 8.3 PA/BB
D. Fields .337 OBP 11.8 PA/BB

A. Gose .331 OBP 11.5 PA/BB
A. Romine .327 OBP 13.5 PA/BB
N. Castellanos .325 OBP 17.3 PA/BB
J.D. Martinez .319 OBP 19.0 PA/BB
A. Green .315 OBP 21.0 PA/BB
J. Iglesias .314 OBP 20.5 PA/BB
H. Perez .314 OBP 20.8 PA/BB
D. Machado .312 OBP 10.2 PA/BB
Y. Cespedes .310 OBP 18.7 PA/BB
S. Moya .309 OBP 20.2 PA/BB
I. Kinsler .308 OBP 16.0 PA/BB
J. McCann .306 OBP 26.0 PA/BB
B. Holaday .305 OBP 16.4 PA/BB
R. Davis .286 OBP 22.2 PA/BB

**BOLD is projected starters

Last 3 years VS LHP (total, including minors)

M. Cabrera .430 OBP 8.1 PA/BB
E. Suarez .377 OBP 10.8 PA/BB
N. Castellanos .376 OBP 10.3 PA/BB
I. Kinsler .371 OBP 12.5 PA/BB
R. Davis .369 OBP 15.5 PA/BB
V. Martinez .366 OBP 20.6 PA/BB
J. Prince .361 OBP 7.2 PA/BB
D. Travis .358 OBP 13.5 PA/BB
A. Romine .353 OBP 13.0 PA/BB
D. Machado .346 OBP 8.7 PA/BB
J. McCann .345 OBP 11.8 PA/BB
W. Bernard .342 OBP 12.3 PA/BB
T. Collins .337 OBP 12.3 PA/BB

Y. Cespedes .330 OBP 14.1 PA/BB
X. Avery .329 OBP 7.2 PA/BB
H. Perez .322 OBP 19.6 PA/BB
J. Iglesias .315 OBP 13.6 PA/BB
J.D. Martinez .315 OBP 13.8 PA/BB
D. Fields .311 OBP 17.5 PA/BB
J. Krizan .306 OBP 8.5 PA/BB
S. Moya .300 OBP 46.50 PA/BB
B. Holaday .299 OBP 16.4 PA/BB
A. Gose .298 OBP 12.7 PA/BB
A. Green .294 OBP 17.0 PA/BB
A. Avila .275 OBP 9.9 PA/BB

Avila 2nd would be a disaster. Forget that he can't make contact, you want to have our 3 slowest guys right after the leadoff hitter? It would take extra base hits to score Avila. Yeah, he might be able to put up a .340 OBP, but with absolutely no speed and his contact rate means he'd rarely be able to move the runner up. Even against RHP, his slash is .244, .351, .761 for the last 3 years, and those numbers were far worse last year. I'd at least like a guy who can move a runner up batting 2nd. Avila, when making contact, would hit into a double play. Basically, you'd be hoping for a walk every single time.. that's not a good strategy to scoring runs IMO. Let JD hit 2nd. Sure, he doesn't walk as much, but he makes far better contact. We know Cespedes will not bat 2nd. I like the idea of Vmart batting 2nd better than Avila because at least Vmart drives the ball and makes great contact on top of drawing walks. Let Cespedes clean up.

Avila 2nd would be a disaster. Forget that he can't make contact, you want to have our 3 slowest guys right after the leadoff hitter? It would take extra base hits to score Avila. Yeah, he might be able to put up a .340 OBP, but with absolutely no speed and his contact rate means he'd rarely be able to move the runner up. Even against RHP, his slash is .244, .351, .761 for the last 3 years, and those numbers were far worse last year. I'd at least like a guy who can move a runner up batting 2nd. Avila, when making contact, would hit into a double play. Basically, you'd be hoping for a walk every single time.. that's not a good strategy to scoring runs IMO. Let JD hit 2nd. Sure, he doesn't walk as much, but he makes far better contact. We know Cespedes will not bat 2nd. I like the idea of Vmart batting 2nd better than Avila because at least Vmart drives the ball and makes great contact on top of drawing walks. Let Cespedes clean up.

How many xbh's would it take to score guys who can't get on base?

I see your point about him being slow, that obvious. But the bottom line is we have to get guys on base for Cabrera/Vmart/JD/Cespedes/whoever. I'll take slow and on base over fast and not on base every time.

After watching and listening to the players in the TigerFest,
imo Gose is a key, IF he can slap the ball around and use his speed.

Does anyone remember him in any Tigers / bluejays games from last year?
Can he bunt?

"How many xbh's would it take to score guys who can't get on base?" Lol.

Back