Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spring Practice Notes

johnny2x2x

Not a lot of news coming out of Spring practice, but there's some.

The DB situation sits like this now, Nicholson and Williamson are locks at safety, and Cox has one of the corner spots locked up and has looked great. Surprise at the other corner as Arjen Colquahon and Jermaine Edmondson have passed Darian Hicks. Vayante Copeland is also in the mix there.

Montae Nicholson is getting some reps at WR in practice.

Riley Bullough has emerged as a leader on the defense and will start at the Mike and be a star, not quite as big as his older brother, but he's a way better athlete with outstanding coverage skills.

The team has looked really really good for Spring, and you'd kind of expect that from a team with 24 seniors. Coach D was quoted as saying that we could play a game tomorrow if we had to.

We've taken this team to an elite level, one more rung on the ladder though and with a veteran team like this it's close to taking the last step. So we look good in practice already, that's all well and good, but what is going to defined this team's ceiling is how much we can improve between now and game 1 and then how much we can improve between game 1 and game 8 and then game 13 or 14. The teams that win it all are playing their best ball at the end of the season. Ohio State was last year, and we were in 2013 when I think we would have beaten any team in the country.

they said reschke is back doing drills, not 100% cleared for contact though but I'd expect him to get a lot of snaps in the fall

they said reschke is back doing drills, not 100% cleared for contact though but I'd expect him to get a lot of snaps in the fall

Heard he'll be 100% go next week.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the true freshmen DBs plays this fall. The kid from Texas, Josh Butler, played against elite competition in high school and was very highly rated. S David Dowell also was very polished for a high school kid and played against the best competition in Ohio.

Also, Darrell Stewart, the WR from Texas, is going to get a chance to earn some reps, he's the reason we told Brian Cole no when he tried to flip to us.

Hearing Miguel Machado is pushing returning starter Kieler to start at RT, Machado is huge and a great athlete, he's going to be in the rotation for sure, 2 years of eligibility left.

Vayante Copelad and Arjen Colquhen have stepped up at corner.

Montez Sweat and Demetrius Cooper are standing out at DE. Cooper had a great start to the season in 2014, but then got banged up and disappeared.

One name Dantonio has not brought up is Hicks...seems like he has fallen down the depth chart big time. Not good for his confidence.

One name Dantonio has not brought up is Hicks...seems like he has fallen down the depth chart big time. Not good for his confidence.

CMD mentioned that Hicks is having a strong Spring the other day. It sounds like Arjen has just really stepped up and will be our #1 corner this year, he has excellent size 6-1, 197 and very good speed. Sounds like Arjen will start at Boundary CB. Not sure if Cox or Copeland will be the FC, but Hicks could still win that job too. Copeland is one of the fastest and shiftiest guys on the team, heard he put on a little too much muscle or he would be further ahead.

It would not surprise me in the least if one of our corners stepped up and made 1st team All B1G.

TJ Harrell is pushing for PT at the STAR LB position. Starting to get the defense and is more able to use that elite speed to make plays.

it will be interesting to see who is the second qb drafted tonight, there was a tweet from Terry saying that he can't catch a break. I've heard some say that he hasn't been practicing lately, it might be an injury

it will be interesting to see who is the second qb drafted tonight, there was a tweet from Terry saying that he can't catch a break. I've heard some say that he hasn't been practicing lately, it might be an injury

Since Cook won't get drafted because he is a senior I'd imagine Terry gets drafted 1st if he's healthy.

You have to think that Conklin will be the 1st player taken followed by McDowell, Nicholson, and maybe Madre London.

Last edited:
Since Cook won't get drafted because he is a senior I'd imagine Terry gets drafted 1st if he's healthy.

You have to think that Conklin will be the 1st player taken followed by McDowell, Nicholson, and maybe Madre London.

I'd go out on a limb and say that Bullough is right in the mix.

Back