Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

AL Playoff Thread 2014

grandy

2014 AL CHAMPIONS = KANSAS CITY ROYALS

Past Series

ALCS 2 Baltimore vs 4 KC (KC wins 4-0)
Game 1 - Oct. 10: KC @ Baltimore (KC 8-6)
Game 2 - Oct. 11: KC @ Baltimore (KC 6-4)
Game 3 - Oct. 13: Baltimore @ KC (KC 2-1)
Game 4 - Oct. 14: Baltimore @ KC (KC 2-1)

ALDS 1 LA Angels vs 4 KC (KC wins 3-0)
Game 1 - Oct. 2: KC @ LA Angels (KC 3-2)
Game 2 - Oct. 3: KC @ LA Angels (KC 4-1)
Game 3 - Oct. 5: LA Angels @ KC (KC 8-3)

ALDS 2 Baltimore vs 3 Detroit (Baltimore wins 3-0)
Game 1 - Oct. 2: Detroit @ Baltimore (Baltimore 12-3)
Game 2 - Oct. 3: Detroit @ Baltimore (Baltimore 7-6)
Game 3 - Oct. 5: Baltimore @ Detroit (Baltimore 2-1)

Wild Card Game
Sept. 30: Oakland @ KC (KC 9-8)

----------------------------------------

Final Playoff Standings
1. LA Angels........98-64 (Clinched AL West)
2. Baltimore........96-66 (Clinched AL East)
3. Detroit.............90-72 (Clinched AL Central)
4a. KC..................89-73 (Clinched WC1)
4b. Oakland..........88-74 (Clinched WC2)

Eliminated
Seattle.................87-75
Cleveland.............85-77
NY Yankees...........84-78
Toronto................83-79
Tampa.................77-85
Chicago................73-89
Boston.................71-91
Houston...............70-92
Minnesota.............70-92
Texas...................67-95

underline = final playoff position
italics = clinched playoff berth
bold = clinched division

Last edited:
I would love to see the Angels win the west and Oakland have to play a one game WC game.

I would love to see the Angels win the west and Oakland have to play a one game WC game.

I'd rather face Oakland than LA though, we never play LA well but we always seem to bring our A game against the A's.

I'd rather face Oakland than LA though, we never play LA well but we always seem to bring our A game against the A's.

When I read this I thought to myself "You know, it seems like the Tigers never win in LA". I decided to look it up...

Since 2006
The Tigers are 31-43 against LA
21-19 at home
10-24 in LA

The Tigers have won one series in LA since 2006. They're 1-9 for the last 3 years in LA.

Yep. And if they finish with a better record than us, theyd have HFA.

Personally I'd like the NYY to sneak in so we can kick their butts again. Followed by Oakland. 4-4 against both.

IF they end up playing in the ALCS what rotation would you rather face

Lester
Gray
Samardzia
Kazmir

or

Richards
Weaver
Wilson
Shoemacher (I think he is thier #4)

LA's bullpen scares me more. And honestly, other than Gray, the A's rotation doesnt impress me much vs the tigers. We can usually handle Lester, Kazmir and samardzia are wild cards vs us.

LA's lineup also scares me FAR more than the A's. All in all, i'd much rather face the A's than Angels.

Last edited:
LA's bullpen scares me more. And honestly, other than Gray, the A's rotation doesnt impress me much vs the tigers. We can usually handle Lester, Kazmir and samardzia are wild cards vs us.

LA's lineup also scares me FAR more than the A's. All in all, i'd much rather face the A's than Angels.

I would rather face the LAA pitchers. Lester pitched 2 games (11 2/3 inning) vs. the Tigers in the playoffs last year and the Tigers only scored 2 runs on him.

We have a history with Oakland that heavily favors us..that's enough to want to face them. We can match their pitching so that didn't bother me..

I'll take the angels personally. I think they are overall a weaker team than Oakland. Detroit has the rotation to shut down high powered offenses. Even though they lost 3 of 4 out west to them, the pitching really did an outstanding job. Just happened to not score any runs ourselves.

I wouldn't bank on Detroit winning the last 2 series against Oakland. If anything, I think that supplies the A's with even further motivation.

Last edited:
Updated

Baltimore moves ahead of Detroit

Bring anyone on. I could care less, no one scares me but they have to win the division first.

Updated

WC race tightens up, KC just a half game back of Toronto, who has lost 4 in a row now.

Bring anyone on. I could care less, no one scares me but they have to win the division first.

Elite pitching during the playoffs doesn't scare you with our offense? Just look at the last two games rival starters stats this season. Plus tonight we are probably without Suarez and Hunter. That's not counting Austin's recent departure.

I am worried about our offense in October. We could easily lose games 3-2 and 2-1.

Last edited:
Elite pitching during the playoffs doesn't scare you with our offense? Just look at the last two games rival starters stats this season. Plus tonight we are probably without Suarez and Hunter. That's not counting Austin's recent departure.

I am worried about our offense in October. We could easily lose games 3-2 and 2-1.
My point is that im more worried about winning the division / getting into the playoffs. This team is bipolar. Get in first, then discuss who scares me. This year proves it was not about Leyland, it's about the talent on the field.

They hit into way too many double plays led by Miggy and Hunter. Bulpen may be their demise.

Tigers better start winning or we may play ourselves into the playoff game and or out of the playoffs all together...Man are we scuffling.. We need a comeback win today badly..

Back