Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ranking each team's worst position in 2014

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/53268/ranking-each-teams-worst-position-in-2014

Has to be catcher right? No sir.

1. Detroit Tigers 3B: 3.7 wins below average

This might surprise you since Nick Castellanos had a solid rookie season at the plate, hitting .259 with 46 extra-base hits. But solid isn't the same as good, as the Tigers ranked 18th in the majors in wOBA at third base. But the biggest liability here was Castellanos' defense: His -30 defensive runs saved ranked worst in the majors -- at any position.

Fix for 2015: It's still Castellanos' job. The Tigers have to hope for improvement in all areas.

Good enough for "first place" on the list!

Of course.

Catcher is a primarily defensive position, and Avila is an excellent defensive catcher.

And there's way more to the defense of a catcher than throwing runners out who are trying to steal; primarily it's working with the pitching staff, and making the proper cut off calls, and a whole bunch of shit that isn't all that obvious.

The leaders on the Tigers

Kinsler +3.1
VMart +3.1
JD +2.5
Miggy +2.5

Notable negative players

Torii -1.7
Holiday -1.1
Kelly -1.1

Nice to get rid of $14M in salary for Torii

Of course.

Catcher is a primarily defensive position, and Avila is an excellent defensive catcher.

And there's way more to the defense of a catcher than throwing runners out who are trying to steal; primarily it's working with the pitching staff, and making the proper cut off calls, and a whole bunch of shit that isn't all that obvious.

FYI Avila is +0.4

Of course.

Yeah I knew he wouldn't be. There's just so much seething hatred for the guy that I figured someone would assume it's catcher.

No, its everywhere, especially mlive/freep/detnews article comments.

First thought when I saw the topic title was Castellanos. He has a well below average glove, and probably a below average to average bat for a 3B. I understand he's really young and that he'll likely become a good MLB player in time, but I can't see him developing his glove enough to be considered average or above average. He probably needs to move back to a corner OF spot if we don't see a big defensive jump from him soon.

The leaders on the Tigers

Notable negative players

Torii -1.7
Holiday -1.1
Kelly -1.1

Nice to get rid of $14M in salary for Torii

Don't be shocked to find out he becomes our primary (100 games) DH at about 8.5M. The other 40 or-so games patrolling LF this time-around.

Dombrowski's conference tables have been loaded with all kinds of suggestions recently. All kinds of rumors around the ballpark are flying around.

Last edited:
Don't be shocked to find out he becomes our primary (100 games) DH at about 8.5M. The other 40 or-so games patrolling LF this time-around.

Dombrowski's conference tables have been loaded with all kinds of suggestions recently. All kinds of rumors around the ballpark are flying around.

That would be very disappointing!

In this scenario where Torii becomes the DH, I'm assuming VMart has to sign elsewhere. Now, what do we do with the cash saved from not signing Max or VMart? Do you sign a corner OF (who?), a 3B? (HanRam?), a SP (Shields? Extend Price?), or do something else that escapes me right now?

They seem to prefer a swing DH, someone that plays any position, other than 1B. Money is a big factor in finding that guy. There's too many holes to fill for 30M or-so spending allowance.
I like LaRoche for the spot. Could live with Morse for two years max. But neither of these guys are the level that's departing. And no Markakis please..... his power has departed him. Not in love with Rasmus either. He's not really a CF'er.

I want the Tigers to trade for Mookie Betts or Brandon Nimmo in CF....... cheap, very good and long-term value guys. We need two outfielders really. We never replaced Jackson and now Hunter's job in corner outfield appears open.

If you're looking to spend 14M, I love Melky Cabrera. Give him near Hunter's old pay. Betts or Nimmo plus Melky, using Hunter's old money in 2015. Then take VMart's old money and use it on someone like LaRoche and Neshek.

Now you got....
Nimmo (by trade)
LaRoche
Neshek
Melky

Last edited:
They seem to prefer a swing DH, someone that plays any position, other than 1B. Money is a big factor in finding that guy. There's too many holes to fill for 30M or-so spending allowance.
I like LaRoche for the spot. Could live with Morse for two years max. But neither of these guys are the level that's departing. And no Markakis please..... his power has departed him. Not in love with Rasmus either. He's not really a CF'er.

I want the Tigers to trade for Mookie Betts or Brandon Nimmo in CF....... cheap, very good and long-term value guys. We need two outfielders really. We never replaced Jackson and now Hunter's job in corner outfield appears open.

If you're looking to spend 14M, I love Melky Cabrera. Give him near Hunter's old pay. Betts or Nimmo plus Melky, using Hunter's old money in 2015. Then take VMart's old money and use it on someone like LaRoche and Neshek.

Now you got....
Nimmo (by trade)
LaRoche
Neshek
Melky
I know nothing about either, but Nimmo and Betts both look interesting. Betts is a bit more proven with some MLB success, but Nimmo's size and lefty bat have my attention. I'm guessing that we'll go with Davis for now in CF and hope that Derek Hill is ready in another year or two.

Melky Cabrera is an interesting though for corner OF/DH. He's not Victor at the plate, but he's no slouch either. He's probably on par with Torii at the plate, but he switch hits and his D is probably a bit better now.

You want a DH, use Nick. Go get a 3B. Or you could have Miggy at 3rd and go get a 1B.

-30, lmao awful.

Last edited:
Melky Cabrera is an interesting though for corner OF/DH. He's not Victor at the plate, but he's no slouch either. He's probably on par with Torii at the plate, but he switch hits and his D is probably a bit better now.

Melky reminds me of Carlos Guillen.

You want a DH, use Nick. Go get a 3B. Or you could have Miggy at 3rd and go get a 1B.

-30, lmao awful.

Yep....... all possibilities.
The Miggy move back to 3B would not shock me. His bad ankle is attached to the same foot that locks onto the 1B-bag on infielder throws there.
Rival teams with cheap-shot-artists, could be aiming for that ankle while running, as they are about to engage 1B.

Last edited:
The Miggy move back to 3B would not shock me. His bad ankle is attached to the same foot that locks onto the 1B-bag on infielder throws there.
Rival teams with cheap-shot-artists, could be aiming for that ankle while running, as they are about to engage 1B.

I really doubt that...a player running to 1B at full speed is probably more susceptible to get injured than injuring Miggy.

Since when is MLB the NHL?

Since when is MLB the NHL?

Arod is back..

817153781_medium.gif

Back