Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers trade Devon Travis to Jays for Anthony Gose

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2014/11/12/7213015/anthony-gose-devon-travis-trade-blue-jays-tigers

Well, here's our defensive whiz CF. Probably going to split some time with Davis in CF, but I assume he'll be largely full time. Im going to bet DD goes hard after Melky Cabrera now (or another corner OF bat.)
An outfield of JD, Gose, and Melky w/ Davis regularly rotating between the outfield spots would be pretty solid. You'd have speed and defense when you needed it, and offense when you needed to score some runs.

An outfield of JD, Gose, and Melky w/ Davis regularly rotating between the outfield spots would be pretty solid. You'd have speed and defense when you needed it, and offense when you needed to score some runs.

I would platoon Rajai and Gose and have Melky and JD be the full time corner OF'ers

Gose should not hit against LHP. So it's a perfect platoon situation with Davis. But we need a COF to make that happen..

Or sign Headley to play 3B and move Nick to the OF again.
Yep, or HanRam for 3B... I don't care how we do it, but we've got options now. I'd be fine with JD playing one corner OF spot, Gose/Davis mostly platooning in CF, and Melky/Nick/Torii(if he's CHEAP)/??? in the other corner OF spot. If we need defense, Gose sticks in CF, and Rajai plays one of the corner OF spots.

I don't want Torii even if he's dirt cheap, his fielding is just going to get worse, and his bat is not enough to justify it. He should probably retire, but he won't.

Not sure if this was the only Gose thread, but it was the first one I saw. I don't know if the Tigers see something in this guy, but he doesn't appear to be (based on his 3 yrs in the league and minor league #s) anything more than a late inning defensive replacement. I'm surprised that he was brought in with the understanding that he would even have a platoon position available to him.

His major league numbers are putrid. His numbers were pathetic at home and worse on the road. But with Gose and Davis there was either no FA that could play center or they wanted to go cheap..

I would have much rather paid Rasmus, could have gotten him cheap on a one year deal to repair his fa stock. Was terrible last year but all his years prior was a plus defender with power.

All things considered, I prefer Gose to Rasmus. Rasmus is fucking terrible. Gose at the very least will play excellent defense.

Not that I'm happy with Gose either, but still.

All things considered, I prefer Gose to Rasmus. Rasmus is fucking terrible. Gose at the very least will play excellent defense.

Not that I'm happy with Gose either, but still.
True gose is an excellent defender, but with absolutely no bat. I'll take someone that can help on offense and is a good defender over that. Gose will never hit enough to be an everyday player

Rasmus is neither of those.
Please, he has rated closely with AJax every year and show me how many CFs hit 20 homers every year. He is one year removed from a 5war. There is a reason gose was his backup for 3 years

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/an-attempted-defense-of-colby-rasmus-defense/

This is a good article on Rasmus. Too much inconsistency for my taste, too small a chance of good enough reward for the risk of playing him every day and him being terrible. He does have 2 seasons of 4+ WAR, but he also has 3 of 1 WAR or below as well. And who cares about homers from CF? We have plenty of power from other sources. I dont like/want Gose, but I like/want him more than Rasmus. We have enough other bats in the lineup that ill take the elite defense and likely little to no bat over league average offense (with power but lacking anything else) but with potential upside there and likely league average defense (or worse, assuming he wouldnt have taken a defensive nose-dive playing shallow like he does in our huge CF.) However, I want a new CF for next year (one that is not Gose, nor Rasmus, nor Davis.)

Moral of the story is that DD was a dumbass for getting Gose, but he would have been a dumbass for getting Rasmus too. Our OF defense would not have been pretty at all in that case, and we would have had yet another guy with shitty OBP but HOORAY HOMERZ to go along with Cespedes and Kinsler.

Also, Rasmus would lose around 2-5 HR per year in CoPa because he would lose a decent number of homers to CF that were out in other parks.

Last edited:
Actually, as long as I was perusing the home run tracker, I decided to see how many of Cespedes' home runs last year would have been outs in CoPa. Turns out it was 8 of 22. He'd have lost somewhere from 5-8 in 2013 (there are a few right on the line) and 4 in 2012. So basically, we should expect him to hit 15-20 this year, and not 21-26+.

Its within the realm of possibility that he could hit only like 15 homers and have a sub-.300 OBP this year. Fucking terrifying.

Last edited:
Rasmus would platoon with davis in cf since he hits lefties better. My concern is a bottom 3rd line up of all .220 hitters that offer very little at the plate. I'm not confident this offense will be as good as it was last year even with the addition of Cespedes

It probably wont be, but not really because of the bottom of the lineup. Gose will be crap at 9th, Iggy might be ok at 8th, and a properly used catcher platoon should be alright in the 7 hole. Hopefully Casty will improve as well.

Problem was we needed a different player than Cespedes to replace Hunter (someone like Seth Smith, higher OBP so that we can have a decent top of the order hitter), but we didnt get one. The top of the lineup is what worries me, not the bottom. Just about every team has weak hitters in the bottom couple spots, which is why im moderately ok with Gose vs Rasmus because we need the defense more than a little offense from low in the lineup. We seriously don't have a single top-of-the-order hitter on the roster. At least, not one that our moronic manager would actually use (Id use Miggy, VMart, and even Avila vs RHP in the 2 hole or leadoff, but that will never happen.) Kinsler is one by default, but he's really not a good one since he's forgotten how to get on base at a decent clip. Hopefully he'll at least use Davis up there vs LHP, but then he'll probably use him there vs RHP sometimes too because he's a fucking dumbass.

Last edited:
Well there's one thing you can say about Gose, he is consistent..

Back