Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

VMart signs a new 4 year deal

That might be the first time I've heard "pulling the ball more to LF.." and "complete and better hitter.." in the same sentence.

I know it! I looked at what I typed and took a double-take too.
Nick's an odd hitter. Nobody throws him inside because they don't need to...... yet.
Once he reads pitches better and wears some patience, he's going to see more pitches towards the inside of the plate.

That's when his batting average will rise and his HRs will increase. Two more years of experience and we will have a pretty nice #5 hitter.

Bottom line is Tigers will be loaded at DH in a couple seasons! In fact they might need to use V-Mart at 1st when ever possible, to save Cabrera body,{legs/knees/ankles}, as much as possible. But in 4 years this team will be old and slow with Victor in the line up.

Just awful. Double the next nearest guy..

Those stats are very subjective. Even the authors of them will tell you that they are the best that we have, but they have flaws. Case in point.

Range factor:
Andrelton Simmons:
2013 Rtot 30 Range factor/9 4.92
2014 Rtot 13 Range factor/9 4.43

Are you going to tell me that these stats are reliable when the BEST IN BASEBALL can drop by 50% from one year to the next? And why should someones range factor ever go down? Either you have range, or you don't. It is like speed. It is not subject to slumps, good years, or bad years.

I watch the games, and I didn't notice any problems with Nick's fielding. I asked other people and they didn't notice anything. The only people that notice a problem are the ones that read Nerdgraphs.

I watch the games, and I didn't notice any problems with Nick's fielding. I asked other people and they didn't notice anything. The only people that notice a problem are the ones that read Nerdgraphs.

LMAO

Yeah, I guess anyone who noticed how bad he was are all sabrnerds derrrr

Those stats are very subjective. Even the authors of them will tell you that they are the best that we have, but they have flaws. Case in point.

Range factor:
Andrelton Simmons:

Are you going to tell me that these stats are reliable when the BEST IN BASEBALL can drop by 50% from one year to the next? And why should someones range factor ever go down? Either you have range, or you don't. It is like speed. It is not subject to slumps, good years, or bad years.

Of course they have flaws but what you can take from them is he still rank very poorly. So even if he everyone is better than the rankings show he's still bottom of the barrel.

Bump the post where everyone was complaining about Nick's fielding.

I think many of us here started bitching about his glove and range by June. I know there were conversations early on about how many of us thought he looked even worse at 3B than Miggy, which the stats eventually proved true.

And to answer your direct question, yeah range can change drastically from one year to the next..

I'm astounded that anyone can think Nick's defense was anything but abysmal this year by any measure.

Range factor:
Andrelton Simmons:

Range Factor is a terrible defensive metric. Range Factor in essence is calculated by Total Chances and puts it into a per game average. From year to year, pitching staffs can change. Higher amount of strikeouts, means less number of balls in play. Groundball pitchers versus flyball pitcher. The pitching staff makeup influences Range Factor greatly. It isn't the range being effected, it is the balls in play.

It is people who don't understand stats and/or what their biases are that is the problem. Not all stats are all encompassing. Range Factor does not mean lateral movement. Many infer it does.

There is no perfect defensive stat. But UZR/150 does a pretty good job at a higher sample rate. It is not a good stat on partial season or part time players. IMHO, it is a better stat than Defensive Runs Saved (DRS).

Bump the post where everyone was complaining about Nick's fielding.

Post 40;
I've thought long and hard about Nick C. and despite his age, no matter what position he plays, imo, he will be a liabilty.
he is best used in a trade. sorry. I know, we would need a 3rd baseman.

I don't live and die with the "Nerdgraphs".
If you watched the games and didn't notice anything wrong with Castellanos' fielding, I don't have an answer for you except, take the bag or the rose colored glasses off your head and eyes.
Whether or not you, or anyone of your friends takes anything positive from any of the UZR or DRS defensive metrics, you must have overlooked his cement and clown shoes first step to field a ball to his left or right. He is slow and cumbersome, as much or a bit more than Cabrera was at third. He made many off balance throws that sailed high or off the first base target and bag. Tom Tango has a fans blog every year for fans of their team to rank each player in many categories hitting fielding throwing. Nick C. was mostly ranked poor/mediocre/fair by Tigers fans across the country. The kid has slow first step and slow reaction time. The complete opposite of Brooks Robinson.

Back