Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Should Tigers trade Miggy?

I would be crushed if the Tigers Traded Miggy. He has been so good the last 2 years.

The biggest problem I would see and that goes for trading Max as well, I don't see DD and the others knowing what makes a good prospect and trades these two for a bunch of trash.

The biggest problem I would see and that goes for trading Max as well, I don't see DD and the others knowing what makes a good prospect and trades these two for a bunch of trash.

I agree with this as far as the Prospects are concerned. IF either gets traded they have to get proven ML players in return (1-3 years of ML experience). Max would need to get at least one good every day player + 1 BP arm + 1 good prospect. Miggy would need to get at least 2 good every day players + multiple prospects. Don't forget....prospects don't have to turn out to be good players in the Tigers system....they are also assets that can be traded away for proven players down the road.

I agree with this as far as the Prospects are concerned. IF either gets traded they have to get proven ML players in return (1-3 years of ML experience). Max would need to get at least one good every day player + 1 BP arm + 1 good prospect. Miggy would need to get at least 2 good every day players + multiple prospects. Don't forget....prospects don't have to turn out to be good players in the Tigers system....they are also assets that can be traded away for proven players down the road.

All this for a 1 year rental. I think many are overvaluing Max because of 1 year.

All this for a 1 year rental. I think many are overvaluing Max because of 1 year.

I don't think so. He was lights out the second 1/2 of last year too. A guy that is capable to be an ace of a pitching staff is probably worth what I said to a team looking to win now.....even for a one year rental.

Max dialed in his release point this year. Will it be the same next year? I say deal him now ask for the world and get what you can for him.

I don't think so. He was lights out the second 1/2 of last year too. A guy that is capable to be an ace of a pitching staff is probably worth what I said to a team looking to win now.....even for a one year rental.

So a team looking to win now(meaning 2014), is going to give up one of it's good starting position players, a bullpen arm, and a mid level prospect?

They're going to hurt themselves in 2 area's (loss of a good starting position player and a BP arm) to get 1 guy, who while very good, only plays every 5 days.

Don't know about that.

So a team looking to win now(meaning 2014), is going to give up one of it's good starting position players, a bullpen arm, and a mid level prospect?

They're going to hurt themselves in 2 area's (loss of a good starting position player and a BP arm) to get 1 guy, who while very good, only plays every 5 days.

Don't know about that.

some teams acutally have good farm systems with players ready to step up right away. I know that is a difficult concept for us Tigers fans to comprehend since our farm system sucks balls!

The injury is IMO the real issue. Fix it and yea he plays great again. But and this is the question. What happens should it happen again. I my self have had two hernia's. There is no way of telling the what could happen over the next few seasons. Cabrera being Miggy is the real deal. But tieing up the money it is going to take to resign/sign him is going to be a gamble from now on. At the same time it would take a good/great deal for me to trade him. But should the price be right anything is for sale/trade' But keeping Cabrera will not fix team speed, as it will keep at least three batters in the lineup that are station to station runners next season for sure. And then there the defense to consider Cabrera will not get better as he ages.

And what is it going to cost to resign him? what will he ask for? 30 mil/10 years? Should the Tiger want to retain him they should start finding out what it will take. IE a new contract now after the spring training 2014?

And NOW he says he not 100%. Still he is hitting over .300

a few years later...this was fun to read

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Dalton. Is there anyone you do like?

as far as individual players...not right now. I like players that help the team win. There isn't anybody doing that right now. Maybe Boyd. The rest are dead to me.

as far as individual players...not right now. I like players that help the team win. There isn't anybody doing that right now. Maybe Boyd. The rest are dead to me.

Why is Turnbull dead to you? Dude is making $545k this year. I'd expect you to have a love infatuation with him. :hehe:

Why is Turnbull dead to you? Dude is making $545k this year. I'd expect you to have a love infatuation with him. :hehe:
I might not have understand in years past but now I do but Tom has always been team, and only team - not players. I agree here. Rooting for players might seem nice until they get traded or start making more money than they're worth etc. I was a fan of Ronnie and now I wish he was on some other team.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/detroit-tigers/payroll/
Many of the Tiger's players are making the minimum, and how are they doing in the standings? Tigers have to draft better, spend on FA, and make better trades. None of which Avila or the cozy group of old farts front office do well.
Add a chintzy owner, and this is the type of team you wind up with.

Last edited:
I would still like to see Miggy traded to a potential WS championship team contender, ala Verlander, so that perhaps he could bookend his great HoF-worthy MLB career with rings.

But that ship might have sailed before last season.

I suppose that we should be thankful for having some success in 3 of 4 professional sports, as some other cities/states have not had much if any, including being represented in all 4.

Wisconsin has often had great success in pro-football, but not so much in basketball or baseball...and for being a cold winter state, never having a NHL franchise is laughable....same with Ohio, who has had little success in any pro-sport, and also had long lacked an NHL franchise, the Cleveland Barons lasting all of two years, and the Columbus Blue Jackets only a very late 20th century iteration which finally managed tp win a playoff series this year. Minnesota hasn't seen many championship teams, the NFL Vikings making it to the Super Bowl 4x long ago in the 70s....yet coming up
snake-eyes each time. Minny also lost both the NHL North Stars to Dallas, and their NBA franchise in the Lakers to LA, and went w/o new teams for quite awhile.

Buffalo has had just an NHL and NFL franchise, both of whom have won jack-squat.

Floriduh has two cities, fielding pro-sports franchises but only more recently had representation in all 4 pro-sports, it being understandable that the NHL was long in coming to the Sunshine State. Both MLB franchises are more recent, and only Miami has won 2 WS pretty close together. Not an overwhelming amount of championships either, and the TB Lightning, who tied the Red Wings for most regular-season wins in NHL history this year, was embarrassingly swept from the playoffs in the first round.

Seattle entered the NFL and MLB arenas in the 70s, however the Mariners still have not made it to the Big Dance, their NBA team in the Supersonics left town for...ugh...Twisterhoma City, and they appear to be the next city who will have an NHL franchise by 2021...took em long enough.

There are other example such as NOLA, Phx/AZ, Portlandia, Missoruh, Indy, Carolina, ect, of whom I won't go into, but they also are cities/states w/o all that much to boast about in championships, and/or not represented in all 4 pro-sports.

Last edited:
Back