Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

American League vs. National League All-Star Game Thread July 15

Do not understand the hate for Mike Trout. Must be some ulterior motives. Oh, wait, never mind ... I'd rather have Austin Jackson playing CF for the Tigers. Trout stinks. I hate him.

I don't hate Trout the player, I hate the sports MSM's slobbering all over his nutsack as The Great White Hope, ala Tebow, the difference being that Trout actually is an elite performer.

Last edited:
I don't hate Trout the player, I hate the sports MSM's slobbering all over his nutsack as The Great White Hope, ala Tebow, the difference being that Trout actually is an elite performer.

When was the last time a player this good came into MLB at this young of an age? Maybe Griffey Jr? Trout has been better than Jr (age 19-22) who may have been the best young OF talent in the past 40 years.

Last edited:
The last player to come along with this brand of upside IMO is Mantle. Before that, Mays. And Trout will be better than both of them.

The last player to come along with this brand of upside IMO is Mantle. Before that, Mays. And Trout will be better than both of them.

Wow.

Talk about going out on a limb.

No disrespect to Trout, but I think it's a little early to start saying he's better then 2 of the best all time guys.

Wow.

Talk about going out on a limb.

No disrespect to Trout, but I think it's a little early to start saying he's better then 2 of the best all time guys.

I think Griffey Jr is the most recent guy that you can compare him to.

I have nothing against Trout. He is a tremendous ball player and has it including the numbers at the start of his career.

What I think has upset many here including myself, was with all the incredible stats and the Winning of various awards by Miggy the past 2 years especially, Triple Crown, Back to Back MVP's BA, OBP, Slugging, OPS, Hr's Rbi's + 3 consecutive Batting Titles as a Right Handed and slower runner, was the media and the likes of Huge Assholes like Brian Kenny on mlb network and all time asshole to anything Tigers keith law, down grading or ignoring Miggy's great acheivements, while getting on their national coverage media soapboxes and saying Trout "should have won" the MVP awards, and cherry picking certain stats to make their reasons look good to Miggy's rare and incredible numbers.

The comp to Mantle, is 'kind of premature', but looking at it from the age comp and their similar facial looks it is something to look at. The "All-American look" of Trout to Mick and his aww shucks personna.
Mays was electric right from the get go, as was Jr.

Trout's WAR and OPS from 18 to 22 is right there and in some cases higher than the previously mentioned along with other similar comps like Kaline, Mel Ott, Cobb, Eddie Mathews, Ted Williams, and a few other all-time greats at that age.

Miggy is a Beast of a Hitter, the best in my lifetime as a Tiger, this kid Trout if he continues on this pace is also going down as an all-time great. Miggy isn't going to continue to win MVP awards regularly,

I might be wrong, and disagree if you want to, but....
Yeah, the national media will whore itself for a young and extremely talented ballplayer who has that all-american look...happens to be white, over a foreign born from Venezuela who at one time had trouble speaking English but has improved greatly in Miguel Cabrera. I do think there is a 'small bit of racism' there.

Just saw this at espn regarding the comps at the young age.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar14/story/_/id/11197566/mlb-baseball-future-mike-trout

Last edited:
I have nothing against Trout. He is a tremendous ball player and has it including the numbers at the start of his career.

What I think has upset many here including myself, was with all the incredible stats and the Winning of various awards by Miggy the past 2 years especially, Triple Crown, Back to Back MVP's BA, OBP, Slugging, OPS, Hr's Rbi's + 3 consecutive Batting Titles as a Right Handed and slower runner, was the media and the likes of Huge Assholes like Brian Kenny on mlb network and all time asshole to anything Tigers keith law, down grading or ignoring Miggy's great acheivements, while getting on their national coverage media soapboxes and saying Trout "should have won" the MVP awards, and cherry picking certain stats to make their reasons look good to Miggy's rare and incredible numbers.

The comp to Mantle, is 'kind of premature', but looking at it from the age comp and their similar facial looks it is something to look at. The "All-American look" of Trout to Mick and his aww shucks personna.
Mays was electric right from the get go, as was Jr.

Trout's WAR and OPS from 18 to 22 is right there and in some cases higher than the previously mentioned along with other similar comps like Kaline, Mel Ott, Cobb, Eddie Mathews, Ted Williams, and a few other all-time greats at that age.

Miggy is a Beast of a Hitter, the best in my lifetime as a Tiger, this kid Trout if he continues on this pace is also going down as an all-time great. Miggy isn't going to continue to win MVP awards regularly,

I might be wrong, and disagree if you want to, but....
Yeah, the national media will whore itself for a young and extremely talented ballplayer who has that all-american look...happens to be white, over a foreign born from Venezuela who at one time had trouble speaking English but has improved greatly in Miguel Cabrera. I do think there is a 'small bit of racism' there.

Just saw this at espn regarding the comps at the young age.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar14/story/_/id/11197566/mlb-baseball-future-mike-trout

I think there was a valid argument between Miggy and Trout in those MVP's and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. As far as the meeia shoving him down our throats...they do that all of the time but I don't think it is race related as much as Trout is the "next great thing". They do it in all sports and the guys that are shoved down our throats aren't usually white. Look at the NFL...RGIII, Wilson and Kapernick are all the hot new QB's that everyone was talking about the past few seasons and none of them are white. Now...as far as popularity...Miggy might have a huge disadvantage because he can't speak English (at least very well) but I don't think that is racism at all.

The media still voted Miguel Cabrera MVP twice though.

Sabermetrics were not around when I started following baseball-or at least I wasn't aware of them-and I don't understand them.

My speculation is that anyone in the media who denigrates Miguel Cabrera in any way is heavy into sabermetrics, and I think I understand that by those measures, Mike Trout is by leaps and bounds the most outstanding player in the game. I absolutely think Trout was the best all-around player in the game each of the last two years, but I thought Miguel Cabrera was more valuable to his team, all things considered.

The media still voted Miguel Cabrera MVP twice though.

Sabermetrics were not around when I started following baseball-or at least I wasn't aware of them-and I don't understand them.

My speculation is that anyone in the media who denigrates Miguel Cabrera in any way is heavy into sabermetrics, and I think I understand that by those measures, Mike Trout is by leaps and bounds the most outstanding player in the game. I absolutely think Trout was the best all-around player in the game each of the last two years, but I thought Miguel Cabrera was more valuable to his team, all things considered.

MVP has almost always been an offensive award. With a few rare occasions when it went to a dominating pitcher.

Cabrera was better then Trout the last 2 years from the traditional MVP standpoint. Also, it's clear who had the bigger impact on his team as well, another big part of the MVP award.

I think Griffey Jr is the most recent guy that you can compare him to.

Which is a good point, people thought Griffy Jr. would be equal to some of the all time greats, but then injuries and stuff happened.

Sorry, I think Trout "could be" a great some day, but to say that in the end he "will be" better then Mantle/Mays....That's like trying to pick the Indy 500 winner after the first lap.

I think there was a valid argument between Miggy and Trout in those MVP's and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. As far as the meeia shoving him down our throats...they do that all of the time but I don't think it is race related as much as Trout is the "next great thing". They do it in all sports and the guys that are shoved down our throats aren't usually white. Look at the NFL...RGIII, Wilson and Kapernick are all the hot new QB's that everyone was talking about the past few seasons and none of them are white. Now...as far as popularity...Miggy might have a huge disadvantage because he can't speak English (at least very well) but I don't think that is racism at all.

Although I wrote imo a small bit of racism, it can be looked at as that the sabermetric media group was discriminating to him.

Last edited:
After four seasons (3.5 for Trout)

Mays: .309 .386 .593 WAR: 24.8
Mantle .296 .391 .505 WAR 20.1
Griffey .301 .366 .494 WAR 21.3
Trout .313 .403 .557 WAR 25.8

Mantle was on the cusp his monster 55 and 56 seasons.

Ted Williams is in another dimension: .356 .481 .642 WAR 34.3

12 pitchers have won the AL MVP since 1931, when it was formalized. 9 NL pitchers. Surprised to learn that Bob Gibson is the last NL Pitcher to win the MVP.

I really don't want to see Trout win the MVP this year. You're going to see a bunch of the saber geeks like Brian Kenny claiming how Trout should have 3 MVP's in his first 3 seasons.

Really, Cabrera should have 4 MVP's right now (at worst 3), he should have won in 2010 over Hamilton and in 2011 over Verlander imo.

I hope Trout falls off the map, I don't believe he'll continue on the pace he's been on.

I really don't want to see Trout win the MVP this year. You're going to see a bunch of the saber geeks like Brian Kenny claiming how Trout should have 3 MVP's in his first 3 seasons.

Really, Cabrera should have 4 MVP's right now (at worst 3), he should have won in 2010 over Hamilton and in 2011 over Verlander imo.

I hope Trout falls off the map, I don't believe he'll continue on the pace he's been on.

He has been on this pace since his first AB as a little-leaguer near as I can tell.

Enjoy him, he is a phenomenal talent that we won't see again in our lifetime just like Cabrera. Only thing I don't like about Trout is the uniform he wears.

Back