Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 99 Tigers vs. angles July 24, 2014

Normally I would agree with you that it shouldn't matter where he bats. However, Jackson, based on statistics, is overwhelmingly the best option to lead off against RHP. With that said, I believe he pressed too much when he wasn't in the leadoff position.

I was surpristed to see how high his BB% was in the six spot. It is low given his historical numbers leading off but I think he is letting it go instead of waiting for a perfect pitch to drive.

It's fun to agree with you.

Last edited:
Jackson presses too much period. He did the same thing in last year's playoffs leading off, and was awful until he got moved down to 7th or 8th.

[FONT=&quot]Career Leading Off the Game [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Jackson (561 PA) .362 OBP .450 SLG .812 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I. Kinsler (706 PA) .313 OBP .452 SLG .765 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]R. Davis (243 PA) .317 OBP .358 SLG .675 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Career Leading Off an Inning[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]M. Cabrera .390 OBP .554 SLG .944 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]V. Martinez .359 OBP .491 SLG .850 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I. Kinsler .343 OBP .475 SLG .818 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Jackson .356 OBP .455 SLG .811 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]T. Hunter .323 OBP .453 SLG .776 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Avila .334 OBP .409 SLG .743 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]D. Kelly .314 OBP .397 SLG .711 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]J.D. Martinez .310 OBP .392 SLG .702 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]R. Davis .323 OBP .376 SLG .699 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Romine .325 OBP .284 SLG .609 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Career None On[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]M. Cabrera .385 OBP .556 SLG .941 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]V. Martinez .348 OBP .462 SLG .810 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]T. Hunter .331 OBP .476 SLG .807 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I. Kinsler .336 OBP .451 SLG .787 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Jackson .345 OBP .430 SLG .775 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Avila .345 OBP .406 SLG .751 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]R. Davis .330 OBP .395 SLG .725 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]J.D. Martinez .300 OBP .374 SLG .674 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]D. Kelly .292 OBP .347 SLG .639 OPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Romine .278 OBP .275 SLG .553 OPS[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After Cabrera and V. Martinez, Austin has the next best OBP in these situations. I am not saying he is an ideal leadoff hitter. But, based on the current roster, he is the best the Tigers have.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Last edited:
Jackson presses too much period. He did the same thing in last year's playoffs leading off, and was awful until he got moved down to 7th or 8th.

I agree with Thumb calling him a "streaky" hitter. What are the factors that start or end his streaks? I'm sure he'd like to know more than anyone.

I think when things go wrong at the plate they snowball for him more than others. I heard the comment that he went back to the toe tap which allows him to keep his hands back. I would prefer an explanation of his recent prowess to be mechanical rather than voodoo.

I think the problem with Austin is that I would hear baseball people (Leyland for one) that he has power and would be a 20 HR guy if he was allowed to bat where he belonged in the lineup. That was the drive to move him further down in the order. To get him in his "right" spot. If he focuses on contact and using the entire field he'll be more valuable than striking out or flying out to the warning track. If he, and management, accept that he is an 8-10 HR per year guy they will all be better off.

Extended slumps/streaks in my opinion are due in large part to the mental part of the game. If he's thinking too much at the plate, then he will be in trouble. You have to let your body and instincts take over.

Extended slumps/streaks in my opinion are due in large part to the mental part of the game. If he's thinking too much at the plate, then he will be in trouble. You have to let your body and instincts take over.

I've heard more talk of mechanical changes this season than any year I can recall. Verlander with his arm location and now grip. Nathan with his release point and here with Austin and the toe tap. I think that is where the mental aspect of the game comes in. You start to change for any number of reasons and often just for the sake of change when you slump.

Torii Hunter at the beginning of July was saying how he was hitting the ball hard and just not being rewarded. I scoffed for a moment then recalled some of his at bats and figured I'd trust that he knew what he was talking about. He was right. He knew his swing was on. Amazing that Hunter is picking up where Martinez left off.

Normally I would agree with you that it shouldn't matter where he bats. However, Jackson, based on statistics, is overwhelmingly the best option to lead off against RHP. With that said, I believe he pressed too much when he wasn't in the leadoff position.

I don't mean it doesn't matter to us where in the order he bats, he is probably our best option to lead off. I'm saying performance-wise, Austin Jackson is going to be Austin Jackson whether he bats 1st or 9th. I don't think the spot in the lineup affects his hitting ability.

I don't mean it doesn't matter to us where in the order he bats, he is probably our best option to lead off. I'm saying performance-wise, Austin Jackson is going to be Austin Jackson whether he bats 1st or 9th. I don't think the spot in the lineup affects his hitting ability.

Right. You and I agree on that point the at least where you are in the order does not necessarily change your ability. It does change the mindset. I think he tried to be a "power" hitter, rather than just being himself.

The classic example I can cite is 1987 Alan Trammell. I believe throughout his career he was capable of those stats (when healthy). Yet, he spent a fair amount of time hitting #2 behind Lou Whitaker. In that era escpecially, your #2 was taught to hit behind the runner.

Now, if you sum his stats when he hit 3-5, you will see a very capable middle of the order hitter. At least with Trammell, I don't think it is a fluke. I think some hitters change their approach based on the spot in the lineup.

But I also consider Alan Trammell to be a very smart and heady ballplayer. Austin Jackson not so much. Hence why I agreed with you in principal.

That's right he's getting lots of positive comments on being back in the lead off spot from various commentators and how that's where he's comfortable and belongs etce etc etc whenever I hear em say these things I can't help think ok oh sure rod lets not forget why he was moved out of that spot in the first place though have we already

Last edited:
Nice to know that the Tigers can still win at Anaheim Stadium of Anaheim of Anaheim.

Back