Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Should Tigers trade Miggy?

tomdalton22

I predict that most of you will disagree but I think DD should shop Miggy. He is going to be 33 at the end of this contract and is probably going to demand $30M a year for 6-8 years. Between him, Sanchez, JV and Prince they will probably make about $98M a year at the beginning of the 2016 season. I don't see how they will be able to have a competitive team with that much money going to 4 players. I wouldn't trade him for prospects but for good young players under team control + prospects. I want the Tigers to be good for the next 10 years....not try and win a WS the next 2 then watch a bunch of old farts decline, play sub .500 baseball while we talk about how good Miggy used to be!

Miggy still has several above prime years left, trading him off would be the equivalent of a fire sale. If we did that we might as well dump anyone making over $15 a year and become the Rays/Royals for 10 years and load up on draft picks.

and the only thing going to be in decline soon is your mind of you think Miggy, Prince, JV, etc are "old farts" anytime soon.

Miggy still has several above prime years left, trading him off would be the equivalent of a fire sale. If we did that we might as well dump anyone making over $15 a year and become the Rays/Royals for 10 years and load up on draft picks.

and the only thing going to be in decline soon is your mind of you think Miggy, Prince, JV, etc are "old farts" anytime soon.

several may be 2 and it may be 5. As far as a fire sale I didn't say you trade him for prospects. Trade him for young ML players and prospects. With the right trade the Tigers can be a better team from top to bottom right now and re-build.

Your a dumbass tom. Trading Cabrera would effectively end our WS run.

What a coincidence! There was a poster on the Cardinals board a couple years ago that said the Cards were ruined when Pujols departed.

I think the cardinals do a better job of player development, and who they sign in the draft or FA, or trade for.

Most of the fan base would be upset trading Miggy, I would not trade him.
Partial to greatness.

If this year was any indication....then miggy won't be very miggylike when he's older and has a better chance of playing with injury. It took balls not to resign pujols...and it worked. I'm not sure what ee should do.....I think it will be a choice between scherzer and miggy. To be honest I don't know who I'd want more moving forward long term.

The Tigers have had a long pipeline of high calibre players signed and traded for who came from Venezueala....Magglio, Carlos, Victor, few more, ...to trade Miggy, would be detrimental to that continuing.

I wouldn't trade him. Trading Miggy would most likely mean we'd be doing it for a bunch of prospects. That's how we got Miggy. We traded are so called really good prospects....who all turned out to be steaming piles of shit.

This is still our world series run time, so I would still keep prime Miggy. Ask me again in 3 years and I probably give you a different answer. And I'm still not concerned with Mr. I's money. He is worth 1.5-2 billion dollars? I still haven't seen any indication that this payroll is hurting him or upsetting him. We never hear anything that if we don't do it this year then we have to unload everybody. The only people who say stuff about the payroll being too high are fans.

Last edited:
One reason you don't trade: You won't get fair trade for him. Not even close. I still remember when we traded for him, it was like Babe Ruth all over again.

Last edited:
Maybe in 3-5 years... Not yet though.. I think Mr I. should go big again in the off season... Sign cano, and Ellsbury, and a closer... Mike you can't take it with you... Man he other teams would hate us....LOL

Maybe in 3-5 years... Not yet though.. I think Mr I. should go big again in the off season... Sign cano, and Ellsbury, and a closer... Mike you can't take it with you... Man he other teams would hate us....LOL

The problem with this is it does guarantee you'll win anything. What Mike I. needs to do is get someone in here who can Draft worth a damn. Make this team competitive year after year by bringing up good ml talent now and again.

Your a dumbass tom. Trading Cabrera would effectively end our WS run.

I love when an idiot tells someone they are a dumbass. It's YOU'RE a dumbass!

Anyway back to my original post. The potential trade was not for prospects but for ML players + prospects. Most of you say "no" but nobody comments on how the Tigers are going to be good in 2016 with $98M going to 4 players.

Last edited:
I'm recalling all the talk of trading Al Kaline in 1964 when he was 30. KC: remember that?

Stats in the year they were 30:

wOBA: Kaline .377, Cabrera .401, AVG: .316
SLG: Kaline: .471, Cabrera .636, AVG: .412
OPS: Kaline: .859 Cabrera 1.078 AVG: .745
ISO: Kaline: .190, Cabrera. 288, AVG: .149

I prefer to recall the Cabrera before he was hurt. That's the player we should still see even 5 years from now.

I love when an idiot tells someone they are a dumbass. It's YOUR'RE a dumbass!

Anyway back to my original post. The potential trade was not for prospects but for ML players + prospects. Most of you say "no" but nobody comments on how the Tigers are going to be good in 2016 with $98M going to 4 players.

Not to be a jerk, but it's you're.

Miggy has some good years left. I wouldn't trade him now.

I'm recalling all the talk of trading Al Kaline in 1964 when he was 30. KC: remember that?

Stats in the year they were 30:

wOBA: Kaline .377, Cabrera .401, AVG: .316
SLG: Kaline: .471, Cabrera .636, AVG: .412
OPS: Kaline: .859 Cabrera 1.078 AVG: .745
ISO: Kaline: .190, Cabrera. 288, AVG: .149

I prefer to recall the Cabrera before he was hurt. That's the player we should still see even 5 years from now.

I understand that he could be great at 35. The problem is not just him but the rest of the team. $98M for 4 players....it will be a miracle to be able to field a competitive team with that much $ going to 4 players. Look at the two teams in the WS this year. They are good from top to bottom. This isn't the NBA where you can win with a few great players.

Back