Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dirks out 12

Let's add to these thoughts.

Castellanos get's hurt or doesn't work out...who is the next Third Baseman? Don Kelly

Either Iglesias or Kinsler get's hurt and are out long term...who it their replacement?

This whole roster was built without depth. When we traded a valuable piece (Fister), we got virtually nothing of "need" in return. Then we are told it was a cost saving move, only to watch them spend $10 Mil for a AAAA OFer.

Just think...if they sign Max or extend Miggy it will only get worse.

Iggy has issues with his shin splints, and I don't believe for a minute that they are just going to suddenly "go away". How much of the season will he be able to play if so? 1/2? 2/3? 3/4?

I expect that Lombardozzi will likely cover the void @SS. If he fails to provide adequate defense, then whom? Suarez? Anyone pick up Santiago in the offseason, or is he still available? good gawd!!

DD claims that Dirks' spot on the roster will be filled internally, so who comes north with the team? Worth? Anyone else "worth"while likely needs to get FT PT in the minors, and not squat on the Tigers' bench.

This potential clusterfuck is all on Dombrowski, and although I want to see the Tigers be contenders and win the ALCD title, I am still peeved about his bubble gum and paper clips patchwork moves during the offseason. This may force him to make trades that he wasn't inclined to attempt during this upcoming season. I understand why the Tigers brass was loathe to sign overpriced FAs, with the need to extend Cabrera looming, Based on how the offseason played out, I doubt very much if the Tigers will extend Scherzer, but if the team loses any more starters to the long-term DL or season, and/or the Tigers were to fall out of contention, Max might well become trade bait for a borderline contender that is SP lean before the end of July deadline.

Last edited:
I went on Fangraphs to compare Dirks to Kelly and Fangraphs cancelled my account.

Iggy has issues with his his shin splints, and I don't believe for a minute that they are just going to suddenly "go away". How much of the season will he be able to play if so? 1/2? 2/3? 3/4?

I expect that Lombardozzi will likely cover the void @SS. If he fails to provide adequate defense, then whom? Suarez? Anyone pick up Santiago in the offseason, or is he still available? good gawd!!

DD claims that Dirks' spot on the roster will be filled internally, so who comes north with the team? Worth? Anyone else "worth"while likely needs to get FT PT in the minors, and not squat on the Tigers' bench.

This potential clusterfuck is all on Dombrowski, and although I want to see the Tigers be contenders and win the ALCD title, I am still peeved about his bubble gum and paper clips patchwork moves during the offseason. This may force him to make trades that he wasn't inclined to attempt during this upcoming season. I understand why the Tigers brass was loathe to sign overpriced FAs, with the need to extend Cabrera looming, Based on how the offseason played out, I doubt very much if the Tigers will extend Scherzer, but if the team loses any more starters to the long-term DL or season, and/or the Tigers were to fall out of contention, Max might well become trade bait for a borderline contender that is SP lean before the end of July deadline.

Lombardozzi has only spent 2 of his 102 MLB games at SS (20 of 442 MiLB games). Expecting anything above "replacement" defense is expecting a lot.

DET Minor League players on 40-man roster career minor league walk rate:

J. Lennerton (28) 7.5 PA/BB

D. Fields (23) 10.4 PA/BB

R. Cabrera (24) 10.5 PA/BB

E. Suarez (22) 10.8 PA/BB

N. Castellanos (22) 13.3 PA/BB

Anything over 13.5 is below average (2013 AL Average = 13.0, 13.2 in 2012)

B. Holaday (26) 13.6 PA/BB

F. Martinez (23) 14.7 PA/BB

S. Moya (22) 17.9 PA/BB

H. Perez (23) 20.1 PA/BB

The rest MLB Walk Rate

A. Avila 8.3 PA/BB

I. Kinsler 10.5 PA/BB

M. Cabrera 11.2 PA/BB

A. Jackson 11.9 PA/BB

V. Martinez 12.1 PA/BB

D. Kelly 14.5 PA/BB

A. Dirks 14.9 PA/BB

T. Hunter 15.4 PA/BB

R. Davis 17.9 PA/BB

J. Iglesias 24.5 PA/BB

S. Lombardozzi 29.0 PA/BB

I read that Johnny damon was looking to make a comeback this year

Castellanos get's hurt or doesn't work out...who is the next Third Baseman? Don Kelly

Either Iglesias or Kinsler get's hurt and are out long term...who it their replacement?

This whole roster was built without depth. When we traded a valuable piece (Fister), we got virtually nothing of "need" in return. Then we are told it was a cost saving move, only to watch them spend $10 Mil for a AAAA OFer.

Our team is like a hollywood set: it looks really good at face value, but behind the scenes theres fuck-all behind it.

I read that Johnny damon was looking to make a comeback this year
Dear god no.

Of our in-house options, Fields is probably the best one, but is it a good idea even for only a few months?

If we dont acquire a LF id still rather give him a shot than use someone we KNOW sucks like Kelly or Davis.

It could always be worse than Don Kelly. Brandon Inge is still a free agent.

Our team is like a hollywood set: it looks really good at face value, but behind the scenes theres fuck-all behind it.

Dear god no.

of course that's sarcasm. I wouldnt be shocked if we played lombardozzi or kelly out there and then perez made the team. I'm not big on the idea of lobardozzi playing 2b

I read that Delmon Young is in shape but he probably won't make the team for Baltimore. He could be a nice stop gap for a cheap price. I would rather see him out there than Don Kelly.

I read that Delmon Young is in shape but he probably won't make the team for Baltimore. He could be a nice stop gap for a cheap price. I would rather see him out there than Don Kelly.

Seriously?

Last 3 years Away

D. Young .309 OBP .397 SLG .706 OPS and CANNOT play defense

A. Dirks .315 OBP .374 SLG .689 OPS

D. Kelly .293 OBP .365 SLG .658 OPS and CAN play defense

R. Davis .289 OBP .331 SLG .620 OPS

LF Defense last 3 years (mean =

A. Dirks 5.1 UZR/150

M. Tuiasosopo 2.4 UZR/150

D. Kelly - 2.7 UZR/150

D. Young -8.3 UZR/150 (-23.0 UZR/150 with DET in LF)

R. Davis -9.7 UZR/150

Offensively/defensively, D. Kelly is not much of a drop off from A. Dirks. The problem was that the A.Dirks/R. Davis platoon was not a good one. D. Kelly is NOT the type of player who I want being a starter. Swapping his name with another hack (Delmon Young), is just changing deck chairs on the Titanic.

I am all for giving Fields every opportunity to log Starter Innings. He is a lefthanded bat and he can actually take a walk.

I don't know why you always quote away numbers. Players play home games too. It is also convenient that you go back 3 years, since DY had his best year 4 years ago. Nice cherry pick.

They say that DY is in the best shape that he has been in for years. He might finally get it together and have a productive year. I guarantee you that Kelly will not have a good year.

As for UZR/150. I am not going to go chase around whatever nerd site you get your stats from. Baseball reference doesn't even list that stat. We all know that Delmon cant catch. That is beside the point. The point is that he is a Major league bat in the line up that can be had for very little money.

I don't know why you always quote away numbers. Players play home games too. It is also convenient that you go back 3 years, since DY had his best year 4 years ago. Nice cherry pick.

They say that DY is in the best shape that he has been in for years. He might finally get it together and have a productive year. I guarantee you that Kelly will not have a good year.

As for UZR/150. I am not going to go chase around whatever nerd site you get your stats from. Baseball reference doesn't even list that stat. We all know that Delmon cant catch. That is beside the point. The point is that he is a Major league bat in the line up that can be had for very little money.

three years is a typical sorting stat on most sites. They use away stats because home stadiums are so different (some being hitter friendly and some being pitcher friendly).

I think the true measure when comparing those players should be platoon splits only. 3 years away hitting against RH or LH pitchers only since all of them would be in platoon situations.

All players play half their games away and is virtually the fairest comparison you can use, it takes out any home park bias (pro or con). Additionally, 3 years is the appropriate sample rate to eliminate any seasonal biases (flukes, injury season, etc) and can show a trend.

I never "Cherry pick stats". I use away and 3 years. Always have, always will. If the results aren't what you want, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, to call Fangraphs a "nerd" site is hilarious. But is typical of the cliche..."we mock what we don't understand."

three years is a typical sorting stat on most sites. They use away stats because home stadiums are so different (some being hitter friendly and some being pitcher friendly).

I think the true measure when comparing those players should be platoon splits only. 3 years away hitting against RH or LH pitchers only since all of them would be in platoon situations.

Fair enough. I still like total stats. I don't think that ballparks help or hurt players as much as some people like to claim. Even if you look at granderson's hrs. his home and road stats are pretty even between the hitter friendly yankee stadium and on the road.

Oh, to call Fangraphs a "nerd" site is hilarious. But is typical of the cliche..."we mock what we don't understand."

Fangraphs is a nerd site. Those are the same stats that Inge lovers liked to quote to claim his "gold glove caliber defense" even though he was making 20+ errors a year. I've seen enough of DY to admit that he is a hack in the field. We aren't going to get Mike Trout as a replacement. But to say that Don Kelly is equal to Young is crazy.

I would rather have Don Kelly or NO LEFT FIELDER than see 'elmn Young on our team ever again. I despise him with the fire of a thousand suns.

No way the Tigers want anything to do with Delmon. He was the hero in the ALCS/playoffs in 2012 and we let him go then, what makes anyone think they would want him now?

He embarrassed the organization with his stunt in NY, I'm sure he's persona non grata to the Tigers now.

Fangraphs is a nerd site. Those are the same stats that Inge lovers liked to quote to claim his "gold glove caliber defense" even though he was making 20+ errors a year. I've seen enough of DY to admit that he is a hack in the field. We aren't going to get Mike Trout as a replacement. But to say that Don Kelly is equal to Young is crazy.

So call me a nerd.

Most sabermatics will tell you there is no accurate metric to describe total fielding, but UZR/150 is one of the best, if not the best. If it perfect? No. No statistic is perfect.

But neither is observing. The easiest sense to be fooled is vision. Illusionists and magicians rely on this fact.

Delmon Young is a below average offensive corner OFer/DH who cannot play defense. Why on earth aside from his "playoff" performance would any Tiger fan want him back in beyond me.

Back