Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Drew VerHagen to make his MLB debut

The Tigers are allowed to carry a 26th man for the doubleheader, so they will not need to make a corresponding move to place him on the roster. VerHagen, 23, is expected to return to Triple-A Toledo after the game.

The Tigers are allowed to carry a 26th man for the doubleheader, so they will not need to make a corresponding move to place him on the roster. VerHagen, 23, is expected to return to Triple-A Toledo after the game.

He's still not on the 40 man though.

Yay!!

Another Happy "Verday" to celebrate!!

Although the other Verdays haven't been so very happy of late..

VerHagen was my choice.

Francisco Martinez, Jose Ortega and Jose Valdez are on the 40 man roster. My money says one of those guys won't be on it for long.

What kind of pitcher is Verhagen? Anyone have a scouting report on him?

Thanks in advance.

What kind of pitcher is Verhagen? Anyone have a scouting report on him?

Thanks in advance.

He is a control pitcher. At 6'6" 230 lbs with a great fastball, people thought he would have more strikeouts, but he doesn't. He also doesn't walk that many. Righthanded hitters cannot hit him very well and he does not give up many Homeruns. Lefties do hit him better and he walks them at a higher rate, but nothing too alarming.

Low 90s fastball and a quality changeup. It is his breaking pitches (slider and/or curve) that needs developing.

If he develops his breaking pitch (which I hear still isn't ML level ready), he easily would be a #3 -4 starter. If not, his stuff is good enough to be a late innings reliever, possibly even a closer.

A one start at the MLB is not going to alter his progression.

Cleveland is a tough draw for him with the LH bats they have (Left handers are hitting him at a .298 clip in Toledo).

Cleveland has 5 of the top 25 LH hitters in the AL when it comes to OPS.
Chisenhall (1)
Brantley (2)
Bourn (20)
Kipnis (22)
Murphy (23)

VerHagen's numbers
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t512&t=p_pbp&pid=572403

There are 69 AL LH/Switch that have at least 150 PAs against RHP.

3. Brantley
5. Chisenhall
28. Bourne
35. Kipnis .729 OPS
42. A. Cabrera .708 OPS
44. Santana .702 OPS
50. Swisher .689 OPS
57. Murphy .670 OPS

6. V. Martinez
26. A. Avila

# Players per Team

NYY 9
CLE 8
OAK 6
SEA 6
TOR 6
BOS 5
CHW 4
HOU 4
KCR 4
TBR 4
LAA 3
TEX 3
BAL 2
DET 2
MIN 2

All starters had 5 days rest. Scherzer threw 18 pitches on Tuesday. Why is there a need to for a spot starter?

I thought the call to the minor leagues should have been for a lefty against the Tribe...... Lobstein, Ray or Below, who pitched real well yesterday for Toledo in their shutout win.

Back