Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 146: Royals at Tigers, sep 10th

Too bad...Shields was really good as he was supposed to be for the Royals. I would have gladly taken a 2/3 series win before this all started so can't complain too much. Things are going to be tight all the way to the finish.

Boy the A's sure have falling right off a cliff after they traded away their best hitter. They may not even make the post season after seemly running away with the west at one point. Wow

Last edited:
Cespedes wasnt even close to their best hitter, but they replaced him with shit and the rest of the offense decided to stop hitting.

Boy the A's sure have falling right off a cliff after they traded away their best hitter. They may not even make the post season after seemly running away with the west at one point. Wow

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/9/9/6127331/oakland-athletics-slump-tailspin-yoenis-cespedes

Excellent article. And their collapse has nothing to do with the trade.

Yoenis Cespedes had a .303 on-base percentage for the A's this season.

You have to account for the league's OBP (.317) and the vast acreage of the Oakland Coliseum when citing that, but the larger point still stands. Among A's players with more than 250 plate appearances, only Eric Sogard and Alberto Callaspo made outs more frequently. Blaming Oakland's ongoing struggles on Cespedes' absence is essentially saying, "The lack of an extra home run every six games is why the A's are 14-22 since the trade deadline." It's too neat, too convenient.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/9/9/6127331/oakland-athletics-slump-tailspin-yoenis-cespedes

You have to account for the league's OBP (.317) and the vast acreage of the Oakland Coliseum when citing that, but the larger point still stands. Among A's players with more than 250 plate appearances, only Eric Sogard and Alberto Callaspo made outs more frequently. Blaming Oakland's ongoing struggles on Cespedes' absence is essentially saying, "The lack of an extra home run every six games is why the A's are 14-22 since the trade deadline." It's too neat, too convenient.

Someone earlier mentioned team chemistry and I think that's spot on. Beane had baseballs top team, but instead of making a few key additions and holding course, he went and overstirred the pot.

Last edited:
Someone earlier mentioned team chemistry and I think that's spot on. Beane had baseballs top team, but instead of making a few key additions and holding course, he went and overstirred the pot.

I don't agree. I believe OAK was playing well over their heads. It was just a matter of time. I also believed Kinsler, J.D. Martinez, and Davis were playing well over their heads to start the season, and hence why DET is now "struggling". While Davis is merely being "his average" again, Kinsler is actually beyond sucking.

And so this was with a few OAK players, especially Coco Crisp and Brandon Moss. They have completely have shit the bed. I don't think morale has anything to do with it. I just think OAK was riding some extreme hot starts for some players.

Oakland is 20th in batting average (20th out of 30) and 3rd in runs scored, and 13th in slugging. They are 1st in run differential (season total) How did they get all those runs and get such a great run differential with pretty bad hitting? I don't know.

Thanks...good read

9/11: Boston up 6-3 over the royals in the 8th

Edit: royals lose, deficit back to half game...well..3 outs on 9-22 from even..

Last edited:
Tigers pull back to a half a game out..... Plus the royals have that suspended game they are down 4-2 in...

Last edited:
Boston beats Royals 6-3...Tigers 1/2 a game back with that game likely to be made up when the Royals complete their postponed game with the Indians.

Hopefully KC fades down the stretch here :)

Tigers need to crush the Indians hopes once and for all in this series. They are still in the playoff chase themselves.

Oakland is 20th in batting average (20th out of 30) and 3rd in runs scored, and 13th in slugging. They are 1st in run differential (season total) How did they get all those runs and get such a great run differential with pretty bad hitting? I don't know.

DET 5606 PA 685 R 1403 H 139 HR 403 BB 1038 SO 39 CS 127 GIDP

OAK 5611 PA 676 R 1234 H 139 HR 519 BB 989 SO 16 CS 102 GIDP

BB%
OAK 1st
DET 10th

SO%
DET 5th worse
OAK 14th

SB%
OAK 1st
DET 8th

3-0 Counts Seen