Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

September call ups. Who has the most potential?

firehim

I don't follow the minors very closely. Do you guys like any of the rookies, or are they just role players?

Moya has great power but zero plate discipline. If McCann isnt platooning with Avila next year, DD and Ausmus are fucking morons. Dunno a ton about the rest, tbh. I do know that Carrera is beyond terrible and that he should never see the field except as a pinch runner the rest of the season, might as well see what Moya and Collins can do instead.

Last edited:
Thanks, I looked up Moya and he looks like a monster. He has a little bit of speed too. Maybe Hunter's replacement next year?

Possible, but not likely. I'd be willing to bet our OF next year will be Dirks/Davis platoon, JDMart, and a CF from outside the organization. Moya will probably move up to Toledo next year and possibly move up to the bigs if he tears it up there as well. His complete lack of plate discipline is worrying and he might never be more than a left-handed Marcus Thames (the difference being Thames walked more), but he'd be a great 4th OF since we lack power off the bench. The lack of discipline might even be overcome if he can put up numbers like he did in AA this year (he had an OPS of .861 and a wOBA of .371 despite a paltry 4.2% walk rate and .306 OBP with a K rate approaching 30%, which is friggin insane.) Its doubtful given the pitching quality difference between the levels, but not impossible.

Last edited:
That is an Adam Dunn type K rate.

It would be nice to have a Marcus Thames on the bench again. He would get hot for a couple weeks and I would wonder why he didn't play full time. Then someone would get hurt and Thames would fill in, and then we would all see why he didn't play full time.

Exactly.

The one issue is that he's got the Adam Dunn K rate but less than a third of the walk rate. We'd be really lucky if he can increase it, but yeah I wouldnt be upset with a LH Thames on the bench in a few years. Thats a useful part-time player.

Marcus Thames was a rare breed. Few guys cvould come in off the bench cold and PH a HR like he would. I believe one year he hit 5 HR's in 5 consecutive games as a non-starter?

Marcus Thames was a rare breed. Few guys cvould come in off the bench cold and PH a HR like he would. I believe one year he hit 5 HR's in 5 consecutive games as a non-starter?

I remember the 5th one being in SF against the Giants. Had to be either '07 or '08.

Thames has one of the best HR per AB ratios in baseball history. Even with his shortcomings against RH, I think if he had gotten 500 ABs a year, he would have hit atleast 40 HR. Probably would have had an average at or below .200 though.

Thames has one of the best HR per AB ratios in baseball history. Even with his shortcomings against RH, I think if he had gotten 500 ABs a year, he would have hit atleast 40 HR. Probably would have had an average at or below .200 though.

His 15.88 AB per HR would rank #28 among players that qualify...however, he does not qualify with only 1827 ABs. He also had the benefit of facing LH pitching 43% of the time.

FYI...his per 162 game average he would have 510 PA, 29 HR, .246 avg.

Remember Rob Deer's K rate? Had to be over 30%.

I think one year he had like 30 HR and 50 singles.

Major League Average

R. Deer 8.19 PA/BB 3.20 SO/PA

M. Thames 13.0 PA/BB 3.95 SO/PA

Minor League Averages

R. Deer 7.75 PA/BB 3.28 SO/PA

M. Thames 10.80 PA/BB 5.89 SO/PA

S. Moya 19.86 PA/BB 3.36 SO/PA

Rarely, if ever, does a minor league player with a walk rate as bad as Moya's make it at the MLB level. Walk rates usually worsen when you go from the Minors to the Majors. Certainly, prior to age 25, players can be taught plate discipline (except in the Tiger's organization) and being 22, Moya has a slim chance.

Back