Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Scherzer has offer from yankees; signs with nationals now mets

Full page ad in the freep today

635577253155704340-scherzer-ad.jpg

I hope Max gets bombed in WAS.

not that I don't like him but he's not a Tiger anymore which makes him an enemy, there is no reason for me to root for him or the gNats.

I'm pulling for the Nats to get to the WS because of all the NL teams, I hate them the least. I'm going to go insane if the fucking Giants or Cards win again.

Yeah so..?

Well you're pointing out you can't ever root against the Cards because of Stan Musial being a hero. I'm countering that with Mark McGwire being a villain, it uses the same logic.

Well you're pointing out you can't ever root against the Cards because of Stan Musial being a hero. I'm countering that with Mark McGwire being a villain, it uses the same logic.

I didn't mean that. Musial isn't a hero just a big big fan..

Star right-hander Max Scherzer has been traded from the New York Mets to the Texas Rangers, sources familiar with the situation tell ESPN. The deal is done.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/08/06/monday-musings-77/
MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Throughout the week, there are so many smaller stories hitting the media. They may be bite-size, but often they are just as important as the headline-grabbing news. Sometimes, even more.

And that?s what brings me to today. A way to bring them out in the open and invite conversation about some of these subjects.

It?s the plan for Mondays. Keeping track of these mighty little bits that hit my radar throughout the week and sharing them with you today because I know one or more will also resonate with you. So, let?s kick off this week?s musings?

It?s rather ironic that given this trade deadline week, we are hearing once again about 2 former Tigers ? and 2 different experiences.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/08/15/watercooler-wednesday-97/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Players behaving badly appears to be the theme of this week. To be more accurate, it?s more like star players behaving badly.

Now that Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer have been traded, Mets players are unloading on them. Both being described as ?difficult.?

They called JV a ?diva? and someone only concerned with himself, while ignoring the rest of the team. Max, as we know, flamed team ownership and management, and was caught surprised when he was immediately traded. Just this week, he had another meltdown on the mound with his new team when things didn?t go his way. Three episodes and counting so far this year.

We now know that both did not get along when they were with the Tigers and there were problems with 3 out of the 5 starting pitchers during those last playoff years.

It has been insinuated that the issues surrounding these 2 players with both the Tigers and Mets negatively impacted their team chemistry.

Of course, there have been plenty of other incidents of star players causing disruptions and distractions to their organizations. Enough to disrupt the balance of personalities and performance to various degrees.

And this week, another alleged scandal involving one of baseball?s best players ? Wander Franco. He is now on unpaid leave while MLB investigates. (Nothing is yet official and the subject is a delicate one so we will not be getting into the details of what supposedly transpired. Nor will we be approving any comments today that delve into this subject matter as a result.)

Over a year ago, the Tampa Bay Rays made their first really big investment by signing Franco to a 12-year contract that is worth a maximum of $223 mill. He is their best player.

But there have been some red flags. Bad decisions, immaturity or attitude problems depending upon whom you ask. One in particular that teed off teammates and got him benched for multiple days. Yet despite instances over the past 2 years, he got the mega-contract anyway.

And now, if things go really south, the Rays could be taking a really big hit both competitively and financially.

It?s a huge risk when extreme talent, personality issues and really big bucks collide. For some, the risk pays off. For others, it can cost a team dearly.

Which brings us to ask how important a player?s personal make up is in comparison to his talent.

Is having a difficult/demanding personality worth having on a team esp. when their talent is significant?

Or is the price created by their behavior too much of a cost when it comes to the overall roster and team performance?

What would you do if faced with a similar situation? Is it all about getting the talent or are there other factors to consider?

How should big talent and personality be addressed when giving out mega-contracts?

1. Talent is the only thing that matters.

2. Bad behavior and ?me first? attitude are deal breakers.

3. Both talent and behavior require equal scrutiny before a contract is offered.

VOTE

Back