Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Catcher

Thundercats

Some folks here aren't most receptive of the idea of McCann being the RH platoon mate of Alex Avila. I wish there were better options. Austin Green has been mentioned. I didn't realize Grayson Greiner was already 23, but he looks like he could have some good hitting tools. He was a high draft pick last year, and in limited time in the minors, showed a good eye and good contact. I hope he plays well in the spring, but if he doesn't come north, I hope he starts at AA or AAA to see how well he could do if we end up needing him with Avila's head issues.

From what I have read about Grenier, his catch skills are more advanced than his bat.
Big kid about 6'5" or 6'6"'s.

For most everyone here, these are all just names. We will all be happy with whomever comes through with glove, game calling, And Bat.

I hope McCann can stick... Nothing worse then seeing AA bat verses LHP...

Avila and McCann are gonna platoon this year, which is fine. Avila is probably gone after this year, and if McCann doesnt work out, Grayson and Green will have another year of development and might be ready to take over. IMO, the situation right now is acceptable.

I am more interested in Grayson Greiner than anyone else. A solid 2015 could mean he is the front runner heading into 2016.

McCann's ceiling isn't that high and projects as a career platoon/backup.

Green is probably not going to get a true chance unless he dazzles in 2015. Even then, if Greiner also dazzles, then they go with Greiner because of age.

West Michigan stats at age 21

J. Skelton (L, 21) .309 BAVG .403 OBP .448 SLG .851 OPS 7.6 PA/BB
G. Greiner (R, 21) .322 BAVG .394 OBP .444 SLG .838 OPS 10.3 PA/BB
R. Brantly (L, 21) .303 BAVG .366 OBP .440 SLG .806 OPS 15.0 PA/BB
A. Avila (L, 21) .305 BAVG .383 OBP .385 SLG .768 OPS 9.0 PA/BB

Neither McCann nor Austin Green had 40 PAs at West Michigan, so there isn't enough sample sizes. McCann also played there at age 21 and his first year in the minors. Green played at age 23, also his first year in the minors.

Skelton wasn't much of a defensive catcher, hence why ARZ tried to convert him into Craig Biggio.

Avila is going to a new mask this year. If he can stay away from concussions and he sits against LHP, I think he is an extremely valuable commodity that would be difficult to replace. Health will be his key.

Last edited:
2nd key will be limiting his bats vs LHP because he's helpless against them.

Hopefully they do a true platoon with McCann and Avila. Avial NEVER starts vs. a LH pitcher!

Another new mask? Didn't he move to an older-style heavier mask last year as opposed to the titanium/carbon fiber lightweight thing he had been using in order to absorb more impact shock?

The guy needs something serious along the lines of a NASCAR, or Stormtrooper helmet.

I bet Avila hits better against LHP over McCann.

over the past 3 seasons Avila hit .185 with an OPS of .534 vs. LH pitching. I don't think there is a RH hitting hitter in the entire farm system that would hit that bad vs. LH pitching!

If/when Greiner makes it to the show, he'll be the tallest catcher in MLB history.

If/when Greiner makes it to the show, he'll be the tallest catcher in MLB history.

I would think that being as tall as he is it would be harder on his knees...more stress on them. Maybe not...just a thought.

Maybe there is a reason there haven't been any catchers over 6'5"

I would think that being as tall as he is it would be harder on his knees...more stress on them. Maybe not...just a thought.

Maybe there is a reason there haven't been any catchers over 6'5"

The split second of throwing a runner out. iirc 1.8 to 2.0 is very good. I don't know what his numbers are.
Maybe Rebbiv knows?

over the past 3 seasons Avila hit .185 with an OPS of .534 vs. LH pitching. I don't think there is a RH hitting hitter in the entire farm system that would hit that bad vs. LH pitching!

Holaday would come closest.

Joe Mauer is listed as 6'5" and Larry McLean (played 1901-1915), also at 6'5", is still considered to have been the tallest catcher.

I have seen Greiner listed as 6'5" and as 6'6". Which is it?

Usually catchers of his size struggle to play the position because it takes more time for them to get rid of the ball when coming out of the crouch, but he is a very good athlete with strong footwork and quick release; his size and average arm strength aren't a hindrance; limitations with him behind the plate will always be present, though not enough to push him below average defensively.

Scouting reports note Greiner’s strength behind the plate, where he has shown a strong arm, and that his progress through the minors will be determined by how well he hits.

KC, I don't know what his release time is, but at this point I don't think defense has ever been a question with him.

Last edited:
Joe Mauer is listed as 6'5" and Larry McLean (played 1901-1915), also at 6'5", is still considered to have been the tallest catcher.

I have seen Greiner listed as 6'5" and as 6'6". Which is it?

Usually catchers of his size struggle to play the position because it takes more time for them to get rid of the ball when coming out of the crouch, but he is a very good athlete with strong footwork and quick release; his size and average arm strength aren't a hindrance; limitations with him behind the plate will always be present, though not enough to push him below average defensively.

Scouting reports note Greiner?s strength behind the plate, where he has shown a strong arm, and that his progress through the minors will be determined by how well he hits.

KC, I don't know what his release time is, but at this point I don't think defense has ever been a question with him.

This BYB profile from last week lists 6'6"

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/1/30/7925161/detroit-tigers-prospect-rankings-2015-grayson-greiner

Back