Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Chances of getting Yoan Moncada?

gotime909

Seems like everyday I read a new article linking us to Moncada. I know we had a private workout with him recently, but anyone think we're serious players here?

I hope not. It is being reported that he could go as much as 4 years/ $80 Mil.

Does that number factor in the penalties I've been reading about?

Does that number factor in the penalties I've been reading about?

I think it does. What I have read is he'll likely earn $40-$50 million but the cost to the ballclub would be around $80 million.

I would say we have no shot, but....Victor is injured and Miguel is recovering from surgery....Mr. I panicked once before and went after Fielder (supposedly against DD's advice if you believe the rumors) so I would not be surprised if it did happen.

This "spending pool" crap on foreign players is so confusing. They should all be put into the draft like every other college & high school player. Why should a 19 year old kid from Cuba be able to sign a $50M contract and become a free agent in 4 years when a 19 year old from Michigan has to be slotted and won't become a FA for 5 or 6 years?

This "spending pool" crap on foreign players is so confusing. They should all be put into the draft like every other college & high school player. Why should a 19 year old kid from Cuba be able to sign a $50M contract and become a free agent in 4 years when a 19 year old from Michigan has to be slotted and won't become a FA for 5 or 6 years?

I heard two things, IFA draft and the more absurd, getting rid of the draft entirely.

Because Japanese and Cuban players are mostly already professional players. They are not amateurs like HS or collage kids entering the draft, or 15 or 16 year old Latin kids signed by scouts for a handful of cash. They are essentially already Free Agents at the time they are available to MLB teams.

Because Japanese and Cuban players are mostly already professional players. They are not amateurs like HS or collage kids entering the draft, or 15 or 16 year old Latin kids signed by scouts for a handful of cash. They are essentially already Free Agents at the time they are available to MLB teams.

so what if they have already made money in another league before they are drafted. Any amateur athlete can take money from scouts prior to being drafted...it just impacts their ability to play in college.

why couldn't an american high school kid go play in Japan for a year at the age of 17...he is a professional athlete and declare that he is a free agent? Or take money from a Latin scout at the age of 16 and declare he is a free agent just like the Latin kids?

I think if they haven't played in MLB they should be included in the draft. If they are in the draft and don't get drafted then they are a FA.

Boston got him. Big surprise there.

It's all about the big money.

I think they should be included in the draft as well..IFA has become huge and because they get paid so much only a handful of teams can get involved..Screws the little guys.

Because, they are under contract already with the foriegn team. Or in some cases they are under contract with their country.

If the player ever wants to return to his country again, he has to go through this process where the original team gets compensation.

Because, they are under contract already with the foriegn team. Or in some cases they are under contract with their country.

If the player ever wants to return to his country again, he has to go through this process where the original team gets compensation.

Then pay the teams in those countries 20 mill but once that's done, allow them to be drafted so smaller market teams can afford them.

What about this kid that Boston just signed? The kid gets $31.5M and MLB gets $31.5M for Boston exceeding their international bonus money allotment. These players should be put into a draft like college and HS players. Either do that or let them ALL be free agents.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/02/24/mlb-drew-smyly-yoan-moncada/23942133/
Drew Smyly takes issue with Red Sox-Yoan Moncada deal.
Ex-Tigers pitcher sees double standard in how Cuban prospects earn bigger deals than United States draftees.
freep

This is exactly what I have been saying. If I am projected to be a top 5 pick I hire an agent, have him get me a contract with some professional team over seas. The contract is for $1 and 1 day with a $25K kickback when the player signs with an MLB team. Boom...instantly not eligible for the draft and I become an instant FA!

well...something like that has to work! There is no reason these foreign guys should be free agents when every HS and college kid has to go through the draft.

Good for Drew. I hope more speak up..best guys in the draft can be taken and signed even by the low markets yet Cuban's and others, they're getting a ton more. If it doesn't change expect the Red Sox, and LA, NYY etc. be full Cuban before too long.

The problem with the mlb powers that be is any changes will take such a long time to happen.

In other words, imo, is an all world draft might happen in another 10 years. maybe less, but with their favorite teams like the redsox playing the rules to their advantage, maybe longer.

Back