Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Alan Trammell: Most underrated player of all time

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/54367/nomar-and-the-most-underrated-player-ever

Be careful if you're allergic to WAR, click at your own risk.

It's ironic: All these years we debated whether Jack Morris was a Hall of Famer when instead the attention should have gone to his Tigers teammate from the 1980s. Trammell had a great peak and the longevity that Garciaparra didn't have (70.4 career WAR versus 44.2 for Garciaparra).

In a way, I'd argue Trammell has a case as the most underrated player in history. He was overshadowed by his contemporary Ripken while active and then overshadowed by all the big-hitting shortstops that came up right after he retired, including Garciaparra. But he had a Hall of Fame career and should have been elected long ago.

I won't click, but I can already tell you that he wasn't the most underrated player on his own team. That would be Lou Whitaker. The fact that Trammell is still talked about shows how much hype he got.

I won't click, but I can already tell you that he wasn't the most underrated player on his own team. That would be Lou Whitaker. The fact that Trammell is still talked about shows how much hype he got.

I was going to come back here to jokingly post that Trammell is passed over because everyone discounts his achievements because he benefited so much from having Lou Whitaker.

That being said, maybe I am biased Homer, but it doesn't make sense to me that both are not in the Hall of Fame.

All Star Games

Trammell 6
Whitaker 5

Gold Gloves

Trammell 4
Whitaker 3

Years with 6+ WAR

Trammell 6
Whitaker 2

Both great..though i'd elect Tram before Lou. Either way they both got shafted..

I'm a little stunned that I'm not finding it on the internet; that said, I'm not finding on the internet....

Did not Alan Trammel and Lou Whitaker break Tinker and Everts double record; regardless of chance, Chance, or chance?

I was going to come back here to jokingly post that Trammell is passed over because everyone discounts his achievements because he benefited so much from having Lou Whitaker.

That being said, maybe I am biased Homer, but it doesn't make sense to me that both are not in the Hall of Fame.

I think that they both belong in the HOF. But, I have no problem with them waiting for the veterans committee to put them in. I don't know the veterans committee process, but if they could select them both to go in at the same time one year, that would be pretty cool. Hopefully they do it while they are still alive.

I'm a little stunned that I'm not finding it on the internet; that said, I'm not finding on the internet....

Did not Alan Trammel and Lou Whitaker break Tinker and Everts double record; regardless of chance, Chance, or chance?

Tinsel, are you talking about most games played together by a double play combo of 2Bman and Shortstop?
1918 Games played together.

http://m.mlb.com/det/video/topic/74...s-with-hot-stove-about-hall-of-fame/?c_id=det
Hot Stove: Al Kaline calls in to Hot Stove to reflect on Alan Trammell's impressive career and Hall of Fame candidacy.
The webvideo is 9 minutes long + Pure Awesome Interview with THE LEGENDARY Preeminent Rightfielder in American League History.

That's awesome. He picked the Tigers because they were a last place team and thought he'd get a chance to play. The great Al Kaline thought he'd get playing time in Detroit. Lol. Freakin' awesome..

Good interview. Not old enough to see Kaline in his heyday but I did see those last 2-3 years. And of course after that as Tiger broadcaster. Best of the best..

Don't all of you get me started about How Jack, Alan, and Lou have been shafted because they played for Detroit...

All three should be in...

Don't all of you get me started about How Jack, Alan, and Lou have been shafted because they played for Detroit...

All three should be in...

IMHO, add Mickey Lolich to the list. Still the American League strikeout leader for a left handed pitcher.

He is 18th on the career list for strikeouts. Everyone above him has made it, except Schilling, who should also make it.

At 19th is Mike Mussina, another pitcher I believe deserves to be in.

Last edited:
And add Bill Freehan. As a C at that time he was one of the best. Two top 3 in MVP voting, called a game like no ever. Probably not justified with the low hit total but outside of playing in a pitchers era, for most of his years, he's hall worthy IMO.

Good interview. Not old enough to see Kaline in his heyday but I did see those last 2-3 years. And of course after that as Tiger broadcaster. Best of the best..

I feel so very fortunate to have watched Al from the time he was a 19 year old skinny kid with that rocket for an arm. He did everything we want from a player; He Hit, He Hit with Power, He was a fast runner, He worked the count, He hit behind the runners on second and third, Opposing teams outfields used to play him straight away and a step to left,
His fielding and His Throwing Arm were Legendary, and Al's defense was the best in the league his whole career and on a par with the National League's rightfield version of Clemente. Al's assist totals are less than Roberto's, but the NL had more runners who dared the outfielders to throw them out, where as in the AL there were only a few runners who continued to dare Al to throw them out. iirc, it was after his 1958 season when he had 23 assist the league just stopped running on him. But, even with runners on base and a fly was hit to him he would catch and still make that throw to the base as if the runner was tagging up. Just like that fly in the World Series with the fly to right and Al catches it and throws the strike to Freehan and the camera pans to third and Brock or Flood was just standing on the base. Man did that play make me proud to be a Tigers and Kaline fan.

And add Bill Freehan. As a C at that time he was one of the best. Two top 3 in MVP voting, called a game like no ever. Probably not justified with the low hit total but outside of playing in a pitchers era, for most of his years, he's hall worthy IMO.

A lot of All Star Game starts; he was the class of his position during his time in the AL.

What MLB Achievements? What MLB records did Alan tie or break as a player?

Like it or not, the HOF is about accomplishments, achievements and records. Otherwise it would be called the Hall Of WAR (or) Hall Of Best Math Stats.

I absolutely loved Tram as a player. But he set nor tied any records/accomplishments nationally, that equals or exceeds others in examples on why Tram should be in, versus someone else. So before you cite examples of of others with lesser-valued stats, be sure to include that 'these others" didn't tie or break some-sort of major league record (or) had a MLB achievement that wasn't included in your reply.

It's easy to find out what HOF players have accomplished, that separates them from others. Google search is the best place for that. Fast references for individual HOF member accomplishments can be found at Wikipedia. Many times the search can be fast / quick.

Tram and Lou have a chance to go in together at some point, by the Vets committee. As being the longest served together as middle infielders. If Tram gets in another 5-10 years as having worked in MLB for 35-40 years after his retirement, that will help his chances too.

Last edited:
Back