Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Price signs contract, is open to an extension

Pitcher David Price has agreed Friday to a one-year deal with the Detroit Tigers for $19.75 million, according to multiple media outlets.

The agreement, which has yet to be announced, is the largest one-year deal for a player who filed for arbitration, topping Max Scherzer's $15,525,000 agreement with the Tigers last year.

Price, who avoided arbitration, went 15-12 with a 3.26 ERA and a league-leading 271 strikeouts in 2014 with the Tampa Bay Rays and Tigers, who acquired him in a three-team trade on July 31.

The move paid dividends for the Tigers when Price held Minnesota scoreless in a division-clinching victory on the final day of the regular season. Detroit won the AL Central for a fourth consecutive year.

The left-hander, who will become a free agent after the 2015 season, made $14 million last season and was the AL Cy Young Award winner for the Rays in 2012.

I was hoping for a long-term deal to get worked out, but it sure seems like one or both sides aren't terribly interested in that happening.

Simon and JD have also signed. Not sure the $. Just leaves Al as the only arb left.

I was hoping for a long-term deal to get worked out, but it sure seems like one or both sides aren't terribly interested in that happening.

Totally agree.

I think DD is setting the bar for any negotiations with Max. Can Price be traded anytime throughout the season with this new deal in place?

It's not a new deal.

Price was due an arbitration raise, and the Tigers made that offer to avoid it going to an arbitration hearing, and Price accepted. It changes nothing as far as his contract goes, except the amount of money he will make for this season, and this season only.

This sends a message to everyone about the bar for an arbi pitcher of Price's status. This shows that the have's can pay and the have not's need to trade.

This makes 116m spent for 6 players. I can't imagine getting Max now, he'd bump it up to 140+. For 7 freakin' players. No cap and Mike I. even it's not feasible.

Lotta money wrapped up in 6 players

Gotta let max walk he's only good for 6 innings, shields rumors surfacing now, he'd be cheaper than max I'd love it move Simon to the pen and we might have winner

Last edited:
Simon and JD have also signed. Not sure the $. Just leaves Al as the only arb left.

The Tigers also agreed to terms with recently-acquired right-hander Alfredo Simon and outfielder J.D. Martinez on one-year contracts. Simon will make $5.55 million. Martinez signed for $3 million.

FYI...DET is sitting at $164 Mil committed to 14 players in 2015. This doesn't include Alburquerque. That already exceeds the payroll from 2014. Signing Scherzer would certainly put the 2015 payroll over $200 Mil. Fun!

I don't get all the negative talk about high payroll. Why are some of you guys mad that an owner is spending more of his own money? It's not like we have monster increases in ticket prices. I can see debating HOW the Tiger's are spending money. Just don't understand the bitching about the fact that they keep getting higher payrolls. I would think that the only people that would have a beef with Mike I spending more are his kids. Not a bunch of jerk offs on a message board.

The 163 number from 2014 was an Opening Day number. Tigers sat right around 170, about when the season ended. There were a number of minor league and major league purchases between April and October, plus the added health insurance costs.

Last edited:
I don't get all the negative talk about high payroll. Why are some of you guys mad that an owner is spending more of his own money? It's not like we have monster increases in ticket prices. I can see debating HOW the Tiger's are spending money. Just don't understand the bitching about the fact that they keep getting higher payrolls. I would think that the only people that would have a beef with Mike I spending more are his kids. Not a bunch of jerk offs on a message board.

A lot of people have been pretty specific that they don't like 90% of the payroll wrapped up in 5-7 players. They'd prefer a more balanced team. So it's not necessarily the high payroll.

Personally, I'm long past bitching about the payroll. The depleted farm system and inevitable tanked seasons with aging players that have ridiculous contracts in the not so distant future are my biggest concern.

Last edited:
Its also about the luxury tax, which ilitch seems very reluctant to pay. that combined with lots of money wrapped up in just a few players is gonna hamstring the team in a year or two unless a) they decide they wanna start paying the tax or b) the tax ceiling goes up. its not a good way to build a team long term.

if neither of those things happen, we're going to be stuck with a bunch of guys taking up most of the payroll with very little money left to fill out the team, which is a bad thing given that DD is generally crap at cultivating the farm system (he just trades them away, which is not a bad thing, cept that most of the players he trades for tend to be more expensive, ie swapping smyly and ajax for price.)

I really hope he doesnt resign max or sign shields (or extend/resign price), even though they'd be fun to have. We just cant afford any more megacontracts at the moment, and next season is going to end up being a major rebuild because of the amount of players with expiring contracts. We'll have to fill those holes somehow, and it'll be harder to do with another 20-25 million locked up in one player.

Last edited:
The '84 Championship was awesome because most of the core came up through the system. '06 was a surprise with some newer faces. Winning a WS now would be nice but it won't feel the same as '84, high payroll..mostly free agents. I wish DD could draft better..

Well, I guess some of us "jerk offs" are smart enough to look past the present and understand it reflects on the future makeup of out team. Several high end contracts can only be balanced out by a bunch more low end ones. But hey, it worked for Philly right?

Back