Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers to Pay Luxury Tax

Rebbiv

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/1/21/7824247/tigers-likely-to-pay-luxury-tax-in-2015-2016

Pretty good article outing the salary/payroll issues. Last paragraph is telling.

If the club plans on contending in 2016, they?re going to need to retain the services of either David Price or a comparable starting pitcher. In no version of reality can they lose Max Scherzer, Doug Fister, Rick Porcello, and Drew Smyly as well as Price, and still contend. If you figure that a comparable ace will cost at least $25 million in 2016, and add another $7 million for arbitration increases, there?s not much left to replace the departing free agents. It would seem, then, that the club is very likely to be in the 30 percent tax bracket for the 2016 season if they plan on being contenders.

There is a good chance that Mr. I is gone, they don't pay the tax and the Tigers go straight to the bottom of the AL Central in 2016

Once Mr I. is gone.... Look out... Tigers probably will be sold

Or they could make a good trade like when they got Fister in the first place and not spend 25m.

Someone has to complain about something on here, even if it has to so with the word "likely".

Once Mr I. is gone.... Look out... Tigers probably will be sold

Depends.

People forget that Marion is still alive and owns 50% of all Illitch holdings. This includes the Red Wings and Tigers. Many always assume when he dies his kids will want to sell, but it's not up to them, and it's possible Marion will want to keep the teams as a legacy for her husband after he passes.

And one who fucking values plate discipline and doesnt overvalue power arms.

Depends.

People forget that Marion is still alive and owns 50% of all Illitch holdings. This includes the Red Wings and Tigers. Many always assume when he dies his kids will want to sell, but it's not up to them, and it's possible Marion will want to keep the teams as a legacy for her husband after he passes.
From what I have heard from those in the media is that she is more financially responsible and strict with spending than her husband. Most assume spending will drop if she was in charge too

From what I have heard from those in the media is that she is more financially responsible and strict with spending than her husband. Most assume spending will drop if she was in charge too

Well the issue I was referring to was the assumption that when Mr. I dies the Tigers will be sold. But I have no doubt that even if Mr. I lives to be 200, spending is going to come down soon anyways. I can't see us being a top 5 spending team for a prolonged period. We are a medium market at best, and eventually all the red will catch up.

Well the issue I was referring to was the assumption that when Mr. I dies the Tigers will be sold. But I have no doubt that even if Mr. I lives to be 200, spending is going to come down soon anyways. I can't see us being a top 5 spending team for a prolonged period. We are a medium market at best, and eventually all the red will catch up.
True, but I do think when the new tv deal is made in the next couple years it will help spending. Nothing outrageous, just be able to afford a payroll in the 4 to 7 range

True, but I do think when the new tv deal is made in the next couple years it will help spending. Nothing outrageous, just be able to afford a payroll in the 4 to 7 range

I disagree. Like I said we are a medium at best, market. That new TV deal is not going to be anywhere near what the Dodgers or Yankees get, not even the same ballpark.

Fact is we're only in the top 10 because our owner leans more towards being a fan than a shrewd businessman, but it won't last forever.

(and yes, before a certain someone asks, I can see the future)

Dunno about that. The LA metro area DOES have a few million more people than the entire state of michigan, BUT the cable deal for the Dodgers covers basically just that area (plus a small handful of others) while FSD covers all of michigan plus parts of OH, WI, and IN. If FSD retains the Tigers, the deal could be quite large because of the overall viewing area and population.

Of course, it might also be nowhere in the area of that deal. I just wouldnt discount it being a large one given the coverage FSD has.

Last edited:
Back