Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who would be on your bench?

Iglesias batting .105 and coming off an injury. Makes having both Perez and Romine on the roster a must for now IMHO. But at some point one o these will have to go.

I don't think Collins is going to make a lot of sense, how many AB's would he get? could he get one start a week? Martinez and Cespedes are going to start 150 + games, Gose and Davis will play center, where will Collins play?

Also, who is he going to pinch hit for?

Miggy? no
Victor? no
Cespedes? No
Kinsler? No
Martinez? no
Castellanos? maybe but not often

So we would keep collins on the idea that he could pinch hit for one of 3 guys in our lineup in a close and late situation? not every game is that close to justify a pinch hitter.

My guess is that he would struggle to get 6 or 7 at bats a week. How effective would Collins be when he rarely saw live pitching? how would his timing be?

He'll be up if we have some injuries but unless he'd play more I don't see the benefit of keeping him on the roster.

I think Collins' projection is a 4th OF, might as well have him on the bench. Who cares how many ABs he gets if thats his eventual role anyways?

One more thing: do we REALLY want either Romine or Davis to be giving JDMart and Cespedes occasional days off vs righties? Yeah, no.

Id take Romine and Collins (romine can play all 4 infield positions, I dont trust Perez at 3rd or 1st. Or SS, really. Why is he on the roster again?)

Last edited:
I think Collins' projection is a 4th OF, might as well have him on the bench. Who cares how many ABs he gets if thats his eventual role anyways?

One more thing: do we REALLY want either Romine or Davis to be giving JDMart and Cespedes occasional days off vs righties? Yeah, no.

Id take Romine and Collins (romine can play all 4 infield positions, I dont trust Perez at 3rd or 1st. Or SS, really. Why is he on the roster again?)

You'd think that Cespedes and Martinez will start about 150 games, that would leave 20 starts for Collins at a corner spot, I don't think it makes you a better team keeping Collins for 20 games. I'm ok with Davis playing 20 or 30 games vs RHP this year

Thats a little optimistic for their playing time, IMO. Cespedes might hit 150 (he was 152 last year, but only 135 in '13 and 129 in '12) and JD Martinez has never played more than the 140 he did last year, but he still might hit 150 if he doesnt tire out.

Besides, 30 games of a .611 OPS vs RHP is abysmal. Thats basically a month of games, and its not like Davis is good defensively either. I would have been trying out Collins at 1st instead of Romine this spring. We simply don't need 2 only (mediocre) glove, no-bat utility players. It makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Random idea: go with a 6-man bullpen, and a 5-man bench. The 7th guy in the bullpen rarely gets used anyways, and the 5th man on the bench gives us more flexibility.

I agree with others wondering about the redundancy of Romine and Perez. What other team carries 4 middle infielders on it's roster, 3 of them being extremely light hitters.

I don't care that Iggy was injured. You keep Romine, and option Perez to Toledo, if someone goes down, he's 40 minutes away. Meanwhile if one of our OF's gets an injury, then we have to play the bench man of Gose/Davis and have nobody left who can play OF at all. Collins as a lefty might have been a better option.

Last 3 years versus RHP (not park adjusted)

M. Cabrera (31) 129.5 RC/650 .391 OBP .593 SLG .984 OPS 13.9 PA/BB

V. Martinez (36) 103.2 RC/650 .388 OBP .483 SLG .871 OPS 13.1 PA/BB

J. Krizan (25) 96.7 RC/650 .384 OBP .422 SLG .806 OPS 8.8 PA/BB

W. Bernard (24) 94.1 RC/650 .382 OBP .410 SLG .792 OPS 9.8 PA/BB

S. Moya (23) 93.5 RC/650 .309 OBP .508 SLG .817 OPS 20.2 PA/BB

T. Collins (24) 87.6 RC/650 .344 OBP .423 SLG .767 OPS 9.8 PA/BB

Y. Cespedes (29) 84.6 RC/650 .310 OBP .460 SLG .770 OPS 18.7 PA/BB

J.D. Martinez (27) 84.3 RC/650 .319 OBP .459 SLG .778 OPS 19.04 PA/BB

A. Avila (28) 83.7 RC/650 .351 OBP .410 SLG .761 OPS 7.3 PA/BB

D. Fields (24) 83.2 RC/650 .337 OBP .412 SLG .749 OPS 11.8 PA/BB

X. Avery (26) 82.5 RC/650 .340 OBP .406 SLG .746 OPS 11.2 PA/BB

N. Castellanos (23) 81.0 RC/650 .325 OBP .423 SLG .748 OPS 17.3 PA/BB

A. Gose (24) 75.8 RC/650 .331 OBP .381 SLG .713 OPS 11.6 PA/BB

3-yr AL Average 75.5 RC/650 .318 OBP .402 SLG .720 OPS 13.4 PA/BB

I. Kinsler (32) 71.6 RC/650 .308 OBP .399 SLG .707 OPS 16.0 PA/BB

H. Perez (24) 69.0 RC/650 .314 OBP .378 SLG .692 OPS 20.8 PA/BB

A. Romine (29) 68.0 RC/650 .327 OBP .345 SLG .672 OPS 13.5 PA/BB

J. McCann (24) 66.3 RC/650 .306 OBP .372 SLG .678 OPS 26.0 PA/BB

J. Iglesias (26) 60.7 RC/650 .314 OBP .325 SLG .639 OPS 20.5 PA/BB

R. Davis (34) 58.5 RC/650 .286 OBP .333 SLG .619 OPS 22.2 PA/BB

Romine and Perez were out of options. There is virtually no other middle infielders ready. We traded away our best middle infielders (Devon Travis and Suarez) that have any reasonable OPS/Walk Rate.

Every outfielder on the roster or was a spring invite, other than Gose/Davis, hits better against RHP than Gose or Davis. And that is supposed to be Gose's redeeming offensive value. As bad as Davis is against RHP, that is how bad Gose is against LHP. Gose is basically Avila when it comes to LHP. So how can Gose and Davis be in the lineup at the same time? They shouldn't. In fact, IMHO, neither should be on the team, but that is just me.

Collins has a very similar split versus LHP as he does versus RHP.

vs RHP 87.6 RC/650 .344 OBP .423 SLG .767 OPS 9.8 PA/BB
vs LHP 91.1 RC/650 .337 OBP .443 SLG .780 OPS 12.3 PA/BB

At this point, I am more worried about a backup/replacement for Castellanos in case he gets hurt or he doesn't progress in his development.

Additionally, aside from Cabrera, V. Martinez and Avila, who consistently gets on base against RHP?

Last edited:
Rebbiv, who do you think makes the bullpen cut? Joba blew another game today and has been walking guys left and right. I think he should be released. Nathan should make the team, but only as a MRP. Soria needs to close, with AA/Rondon handling the 8th inning.

You I think makes it and who I want are two different opinions.

First, I was dead set against signing Joba in the first place.

Who it might be
Nathan
Soria
Chamberlain
Gorzelanny
AA
Rondon
Hardy

Who it should be
Soria
Gorzelanny
AA
Rondon
Lobstein
Farmer
Nesbitt

Who it might be
Nathan
Soria
Chamberlain
Gorzelanny
AA
Rondon
Hardy

Who it should be
Soria
Gorzelanny
AA
Rondon
Lobstein
Farmer
Nesbitt

I agree. I like the idea of Farmer as a reliever, especially. Lobstein would make a great long man.

Who it might be
Nathan
Soria
Chamberlain
Gorzelanny
AA
Rondon
Hardy

Who it should be
Soria
Gorzelanny
AA
Rondon
Lobstein
Farmer
Nesbitt

Sounds good to me. Its a shame it'll never happen. I was mildly ok with Joba as long as we'd cut ties with him if he sucked and other guys outpitched him to earn a spot on the team. That was too much to hope for, unfortunately.

I can't believe Perez is out of options.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/3/9/8164661/detroit-tigers-salaries-roster-contract-status-2015

Options: Once a player is placed on the team's 40 man roster, he may be sent on optional assignment (optioned) to the minor leagues in three separate seasons. That includes being optioned before the start of the season. A player who has less than five years experience as a pro, excluding short season leagues, but has been optioned three times, has a fourth option. For example, Bryan Holaday would have a fourth option if he is sent down during the 2015 season.

Perez was optioned in 2012, 2013 and 2014. This is another example of how poorly the organization mismanages a player's cost controlled years or protecting a mediocre player on the 40-man roster, only to have it come back a bite them in the arsch.

Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:
? were 18 or younger on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fifth Rule 5 draft upcoming; or
? were 19 or older on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is fourth Rule 5 draft upcoming.

To protect Perez from the Rule 5 draft, DET had to put him on the 40-man roster in 2012 or risk losing him. I doubt highly any team would had taken that gamble in 2012, but you never know.

I would have rather lost him and/or Machado over D. Travis, E. Suarez, D. Leyba or W. Adames. I still don't comprehend the organization's fixation on middle infielders who cannot take a walk but play good defense over middle infielders who hit, take a walk and play plausible defense.

Last season's AL ranks for wins and walk ranking

1 LAA - 98 wins - 8th in walks - 2nd in hits
2 BAL - 96 wins - 13th in walks -5th in hits
3 DET - 90 wins - 10th in walks - 1st in hits
4 KC - 89 wins - 15th in walks - 3rd in hits

The team doesn't value players who take a walk whatsoever.

this team has been in need of a good lefty lead off hitter for years. I remember wanting us to move on Brian Giles a decade ago, Brett Gardner in recent years, though he's declining. we had a chance to go after Kenny Lofton every season way back when.

Back