Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jack Morris and Kirk Gibson join FSD

SpartyNash

They will alternate color commentary roles during Tigers games, so it will be Mario, Rod, and Jack/Kirk in the booth now. Morris subbed in for Rod a few games last year I believe, I thought he was great. I like Rod but he is a clown and doesn't always give the greatest insight in the world. I don't mind this idea.

Phasing out of Rod?

I think Rod's hilarious. I know he's a homer, but he's kind of part of the fabric of the broadcast for me.

Lynn Henning is on the air and just updated how this is going to work.

It's going to be a two man booth. Mario will be the main guy, and they are going to rotate between the three.

I like Rod and Mario together. I think they make a good team. I hope they are not phasing Rod out. I used to listen to Gibby when he and Eli Zaret had a sports talk show.

I would guess that Rod still does most of the games, I doubt Morris will do a lot of the longer road trips.

Rod Allen sucks. Plain and simple. I hated him when he was with the D-Backs and I hate him even more now. I might not have to switch to the radio feed after all!

I like this. Rod is fine in doses, and I like that we'll get to hear Gibby and Jack from time to time now too. A little variety should be good.

Still gonna mainly be on the radio feed. I hate Rod, but i think both Gibson and Morris are idiots and jackasses. Their commentary is likely going to suck almost as much as Allen's.

I'm not sure how well this is going to work. Do any other booths do this? How can Mario build continuity with these people when he's continually having to talk to someone new?

I'm not sure how well this is going to work. Do any other booths do this? How can Mario build continuity with these people when he's continually having to talk to someone new?
Mario has worked with Gibby and Jack before. He should be fine.

Yeah I know, but they are going to be constantly rotating. I'm not a huge fan of this.

Still gonna mainly be on the radio feed. I hate Rod, but i think both Gibson and Morris are idiots and jackasses. Their commentary is likely going to suck almost as much as Allen's.
In all honesty, Jim Price annoys me more than Rod Allen does. The tired sayings and schtick plus the lozenge slurping are the worst.

The other local radio guy that drives me batty is Paul Woods. The constant mid-sentence and mid-word "uhh" and "umm" are just terrible.

Yeah Price can be annoying sometimes, but he also does some things that Allen does not:

- is actually less annoying
- provides some actual, real insight
- doesnt play the Tigers party line, gets angry and tells it like it is

Price >>>>>>>>>>>> Allen

Would I mind replacing Price with someone better? No. But he's also far better than that dumbass Allen.

Yeah I know, but they are going to be constantly rotating. I'm not a huge fan of this.

From what I read, Morris won't see a ton of time here since he's still going to do Twins games. I'd guess that 80% of the time it will be Gibby and/or Rod.

I have no problems with any of them.. They are Tiger announcers... Much better then some other crews out there...

Rod will do all home games, Gibby said something about 60-ish road games, leaving Morris with only about 20.

Back