Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I think we missed out on one with James Shields

firehim

Shields signed with the Padres for 4 years $75 million.

That is a great value signing for them. I don't see any reason to think that he won't put up comparable numbers to $herzer or Lester. He would have been good Price insurance too.

I don;t think we missed out at all.

We don't need another guy making $18MM+ a year who only plays every 5th game. this is the same reason we passed on Scherzer, and will probably trade Price at some point.

We don't need another guy making $18MM+ a year who only plays every 5th game. this is the same reason we passed on Scherzer, and will probably trade Price at some point.

I think that they will either give Price $200 million or he will walk. The Tigers are all about winning now for Illitch. When is the last time that they traded a veteran?

I think that they will either give Price $200 million or he will walk. The Tigers are all about winning now for Illitch. When is the last time that they traded a veteran?

Fielder? He'll walk. He's not getting 200 here.

Last edited:
Fielder? He'll walk. He's not getting 200 here.

Yeah, I guess that I forgot about that guy already, strange since I just read that he has a clean bill of health a few minutes ago. The Fielder trade was kind of a lateral move. Trading an high priced player for another high priced player for roster flexibility. Price would be trading a superstar player for rebuilding pieces, I would imagine. I hope that they do trade him rather than letting him walk, but I will be surprised if it happens.

I agree. Shields is good, but he is not worth that kind of money good. He had a horrible postseason last year too.

The Tigers have been about winning now for Illitch for about 6 years now. That boat is sailing away. And we just traded Porcello, so to answer your question, the answer is about 2 months ago.

The Tigers have been about winning now for Illitch for about 6 years now. That boat is sailing away. And we just traded Porcello, so to answer your question, the answer is about 2 months ago.

Come on, do I have to rephrase this. When was the last time that the Tigers were sellers at the trade deadline. It doesn't happen with this team. Again Porcello was a salary dump and an exchange of highly paid players. That is not exactly what we would be talking about with Price.

Anyway, I really wanted to know opinions about shields. I can look up the history of Tiger trades.

Part of me wanted him because the signing of VMart should have been the signal to go all in for this year before we have 10 billion holes to fill next offseason (likely triggering a rebuild), and part of me didnt because there will be better options for SP next offseason and I dont have faith in our bullpen, and to a point, our offense so my playoff-success hopes arent high for this year.

edit: that was a really long sentence. hooray, beer!

Last edited:
Come on, do I have to rephrase this. When was the last time that the Tigers were sellers at the trade deadline. It doesn't happen with this team. Again Porcello was a salary dump and an exchange of highly paid players. That is not exactly what we would be talking about with Price.

Anyway, I really wanted to know opinions about shields. I can look up the history of Tiger trades.

The thing is you never mentioned "trade deadline." You just said veteran trade. 2 were mentioned..So apparently you can't "look up the history of Tiger trades."

In any event, You mentioned Price as in "sign 200m or walk." Not trade deadline.

DET is already at $165.7 Mil in payroll for 2015 and that is just for 15 players. $87.1 Mil of that is for 7 pitchers, $64.55 Mil in the top 3 starters.

A few years ago (2012 and 2013), we had cost controlled starters in Porcello (24), Scherzer (28), Fister (29) and Sanchez (29). Not a single one was making over $10 Mil nor over the age of 30. In fact, Porcello, Scherzer and Fister combined for $15.825 MIL in 2013.

Now in 2015, it is acceptable to sign a 33-year for $18 Mil a year putting the top 4 starters at $82.3 Mil?

I will also throw out there that it is rare to see a Cy Young winner repeat after the age of 30. Greg Maddux won 4 Cy Youngs before the age of 30 and Pedro Martinez won 3. It isn't like they turned into a terrible pitchers after 30, just not Cy Young worthy after the age of . In Pedro's case, he did not start more than 30 games in a season past 33.

Among pitchers with age 29-32 seasons similar to those Shields just put up, the outcomes over the next four years ranged from 900+ innings of Greg Maddux to less than 300 frames of Frank Viola. On the whole, the group lost one-third of its total innings while putting up less than half the total wins above replacement as against the previous four-year run.

Johan Santana, Barry Zito, Pedro Martinez, Tim Lincecum, C.C. Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Brandon Webb, etc, etc. All were CYA winners and basically had difficulty staying healthy or relevant past the age of 33. Shields wasn't a CYA winner, but Price was. I have no problem letting Price walk if he isn't traded. Getting nothing in player development from the Porcello and Fister deals hurt this team. We also probably aren't getting anything right away from Scherzer.

DD needs to make more Shane Green/Doug Fister/Max Scherzer type trades, not signing 33 year old starters to mega millions who average one third the innings and half the wins they had from 29-32. Can Shields be an exception? Maybe, but the odds are against him.

Last edited:
Oakland has done a pretty good job but no ring to show for it. In my opinion, DD lost out when they built that pitcher friendly park, nice pitching rotation at reasonable cost, and continuously brought in weak, bullpen and defense.

Last edited:
And an offense built on power and BA. Dumb idea in a park with the power alleys copa has.

I going with Nelson Cruz we missed out on. At age 34 at 4 years for 57 million. Played 60 games in left and 11 in right for the O's. Where as Victor Martinez age 36 at 4 years for 68 million. Played 35 games at 1B and 2 at catcher.
Cruz two years younger would helped change the face of the Tigers. Cruz more games in the field. And V-Mart playing at first gives The Tigers few options for Cabrera O yea 3B sounds good. And V-Mart 3 out of 4 playing seasons should have been a red flag! And then there the over all base running of the two.
And 11 million cheaper would help somewhere on the pay roll!
Hind sight is 20/20. But DD should have seen quite a bit of this before hand. At lest the money end of it.

Cruz is not good in the field and VMart is a better overall hitter than him. Pass.

Not that I dont think VMart's contract is a mistake, but still...better than Cruz, IMO.

Back