Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB rankings: Tigers are just 14th

Actual Record versus Pythagorean

2014 90-72 vs 86-76 90 QS

2013 93-69 vs 99-63 108 QS

2012 88-74 vs 87-75 90 QS

2011 95-67 vs 89-73 90 QS

Generally speaking, given league average offense and league average bullpen, a team wins as many games as they have Quality Starts, assuming park neutrality. Can Detroit Starters record at least 90 Quality Starts in 2015?

2014 Quality Starts

Price 24 of 34
Simon 22 of 32
Verlander 18 of 32
Sanchez 10 of 21
Greene 6 of 14

Quality Starts = 80 of 133

Simon will turn 34 in May. 2014 was the only time he started more than 20 Games in a season at the MLB level. And last year at 196 IP was the first time even in his professional career he topped 166 IP. He will be hard pressed to repeat anything from last year.

Shane Greene only started 14 games in his MLB career. Although I am high on him, he is also someone who has hit pitched more than 155 IP in a season.

Sanchez need to stay healthy and Verlander and Price need to be what they are.

Will we be seeing a lot of Lobstein and Buck Farmers? Will they pitch effectively? My guess is that the team lost about 5 Quality Starts from last year.

Well the 2 teams that played in the WS last year were 18th(Royals) and 20th(SF) in his rankings last year. He also had Tampa 4th(and winning it all), Boston 6th, Texas 7th, Atlanta 8th, Cincy 9th and Arizona 12th. So there's that.

Does the offense make up for any of those lost QS?

I believe the offense will take a big step backwards in 2015, so I doubt they add much.

In 2007, DET went 88-74 and they had 71 Quality Starts. That was the year they were supposed to score 1,000 runs (only got 888, 2nd in the AL)

WS title

162-0 as of Now. I will revise as spring training approaches.

Last edited:
I believe the offense will take a big step backwards in 2015, so I doubt they add much.

In 2007, DET went 88-74 and they had 71 Quality Starts. That was the year they were supposed to score 1,000 runs (only got 888, 2nd in the AL)

Big step back? Last year they scored 757 runs and had the #2 offense in MLB. How far back do you think they will go and why? Just curious.

Big step back? Last year they scored 757 runs and had the #2 offense in MLB. How far back do you think they will go and why? Just curious.

I could see vmart at a level or two lower, he was so good. We also had AJ for a chunk of the year, I don't see our CF tandem doing near as well..I could also see JD taking a step back. He's a wild card, it could take 3 or 4 steps back. Cespedes better improve or he'll be worse than Hunter..Hunter had a nice year at the plate..

I think they do better than 14th can't see how clevleand is possibly that high 4th sounds about right for place in the div perhaps for the tribe i think Kc chi and DET are all better teams than clevleand right now

We'll see

I could see vmart at a level or two lower, he was so good. We also had AJ for a chunk of the year, I don't see our CF tandem doing near as well..I could also see JD taking a step back. He's a wild card, it could take 3 or 4 steps back. Cespedes better improve or he'll be worse than Hunter..Hunter had a nice year at the plate..

very true...all of those things could happen. For some reason I think JD will be fine...20-25 HR. Victor will regress but still be a good hitter and get on base. I think Miggy will be similar to last year. I think the platoon of Davis & Gose will be a little less than what they got from CF last season. I do think the key improvements could come from Cespedes, Nick and platooning catcher. I see Cespedes having a very productive season in this lineup where there will be no pressure on him. I see 30 HR out of him in his contract season.

I hope but he hasn't hit 30 home runs before. But he better also hit for average. .250 with 30 home runs is not what I'd consider a good season because we traded a good young SP for him.

I hope but he hasn't hit 30 home runs before. But he better also hit for average. .250 with 30 home runs is not what I'd consider a good season because we traded a good young SP for him.

I would be happy with .260/.310 OBP with 30 HR out of the 6 hole.

I would be happy with .260/.310 OBP with 30 HR out of the 6 hole.

If he was a free agent I'd be okay with that. But we traded a nice SP (which is probably why I didn't like the trade). Plus, we got more from Hunter last season..

Last edited:
[/B]

Where was I when this happened?

Okay they were the same but we didn't have to trade a good young SP for Hunter. Cespedes has been getting worst as time goes by..

He needs to go .900 OPS or damn close to that for this trade to be worth it, even a little.

Okay they were the same but we didn't have to trade a good young SP for Hunter. Cespedes has been getting worst as time goes by..

He needs to go .900 OPS or damn close to that for this trade to be worth it, even a little.

So you think he needs to have a season than Miggy had last year for the trade to be worth it...even a little?

Back