Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB rankings: Tigers are just 14th

That's pretty damn unrealistic. There were only 8 qualified hitters in all of baseball last year that had an OPS over .900.

I would be happy with .260/.310 OBP with 30 HR out of the 6 hole.

.310 OBP makes you happy? That means he will reach base safely in less than 1/3 of his PA's.

And there is still talk of this guy batting second...:ashamed:

.310 OBP makes you happy? That means he will reach base safely in less than 1/3 of his PA's.

in the #2 hole .310 would not be acceptable. .310 OBP with 30 HR in the 6 hole is fine.

So would you take a player with 8 homers and a .375 obp or 29 homers and a .311 obp?

So would you take a player with 8 homers and a .375 obp or 29 homers and a .311 obp?
I'll take whichever one has the better OPS in most cases.

Chris Carter had 40 homers but a obp near .300. Would you take him over Altuve and his .370 OBP and 7 homers?

I see what you're doing, and for arguments sake I'll bite, but the question is far too simplified.

You're using Dexter Fowler (or Matt Carpenter) and Adam Jones as examples.

But in our lineup, I'd rather have Fowler, and hit him leadoff. He kills lefties and hits righties pretty good too. And would likely produce more runs for the team.

Now if you take Adam Jones 2012 season that's different. .334 OBP and 32 HR's was pretty good.

But using career numbers, I'd still take Fowler. .366 career OBP, .786 career OPS. Adam Jones career OBP .320, .781 OPS

Chris Carter had 40 homers but a obp near .300. Would you take him over Altuve and his .370 OBP and 7 homers?

I use ops more myself too. Just found it weird last year that we led the AL in obp easily and yet people seemed upset because it was due to hits moreso than walks.

Anyways, player 1 was Dexter Fowler and player 2 was Adam Jones.

It really breaks down to team need. The Tigers don't need a 3-4 hitter, but desperately need a leadoff man. But some other weaker team might need a slugger.

Tigers are not hurting for homers, were hurting for guys who can get on base and set the table for guys like Miggy and the Marts.

So you think he needs to have a season than Miggy had last year for the trade to be worth it...even a little?

Close to it sure. For the fact we traded someone to get him..a SP who had his best year. Just IMO.

It really breaks down to team need. The Tigers don't need a 3-4 hitter, but desperately need a leadoff man. But some other weaker team might need a slugger.

Tigers are not hurting for homers, were hurting for guys who can get on base and set the table for guys like Miggy and the Marts.

Right, but they're really only guaranteed to "set the table" once. I'd just rather have the better overall hitter.

Based on 600 Plate Appearances

.375 OBP = 225 times on base

.311 OBP = 187 times on base

Difference = 38 times on base

That difference, using linear weights/run expectancy is about 10 runs. Using HRs does nothing for the argument because you cannot ascertain their SLG.

Of all the players with at least 600 PAs in 2014, Altuve lead with .453 SLG for those that didn't have more than 8 HRs. Josh Donaldson had 29 HRs, but only had a .456 SLG.

There are 210 MLB players with at least 750 PAs over the last 2 years.

OPS Rankings

1. M. Cabrera .405 OBP .577 SLG .982 OPS
15. V. Martinez .381 OBP .495 SLG .876 OPS
38. J.D. Martinez .324 OBP .483 SLG .807 OPS
61. T. Hunter .327 OBP .456 SLG .783 OPS

108. Y. Cespedes .298 OBP .446 SLG .744 OPS
115. I. Kinsler .324 OBP .417 SLG .740 OPS
155. R. Davis .316 OBP .390 SLG .706 OPS
160. A. Jackson .322 OBP .380 SLG .702 OPS
174. A. Avila .323 OBP .367 SLG .690 OPS

Players with exactly 48 HRs over the last 2 years

T. Frazier (1260 PA) .326 OBP .434 SLG .760 OPS
Y. Cespedes (1219 PA) .298 OBP .446 SLG .744 OPS
J. Bruce (1242 PA) .308 OBP .432 SLG .740 OPS
M. Trumbo (1040 PA) .293 OBP .440 SLG .733 OPS

Right, but they're really only guaranteed to "set the table" once. I'd just rather have the better overall hitter.

Well, they are guaranteed to be the first hitter once. But they will bat in the same order all game long, and that's what you hope for. That the guys at the top of the order are getting on base whenever the lineup turns over so hopefully the meat has a chance to drive them in.

Not just once. They need someone who bats before the big guys, Miggy and Vmart, to get on base. Batting 6, I see a lot of Miggy and Vmart being stranded after his at bat..assuming he bats 6th.

I don't think the Tigers were "hurting" for anything with their offense last year. We led the AL in almost every category. Just because we don't fit the traditional mold of what many feel a lineup should be doesn't mean everything. Sometimes a square peg in a round hole can actually work.

I don't think the Tigers were "hurting" for anything with their offense last year. We led the AL in almost every category. Just because we don't fit the traditional mold of what many feel a lineup should be doesn't mean everything. Sometimes a square peg in a round hole can actually work.

How about the walk rate? Are they hurting there?

The good new is we're picking right up where we left off fellas. Must mean baseball is around the corner. lol

The team stats were largely carried by the middle of our lineup. Over the course of 162 games it's looks okay, but when Miggy and Vmart have an off day we are in real trouble, and that monster has shown it's head in the playoffs several times. Our inability to manufacture runs when it's score or go home time is why we all end up depressed in October.

Back