Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Assessing Brad Ausmus

spockmaster

http://newenglishd.com/2015/02/16/assessing-brad-ausmus-baseball-manager/

Neil is spot on. Ausmus is on thin ice with me this year. Very thin ice, given that I was calling for his head after the season ended. He managed like a retarded monkey and NEEDS to improve. This team already needs basically everything to go right to make it far in the playoffs, we don't need a moron at the help fucking everything up on top of that.

Lamont needs to go.

That way we know Ausmus is making his own decisions (good or bad) and not being wet-nursed by Gene and Smokes. He's supposed to be a smart sabr type guy, but does some incredibly stupid things (Alberquerque only pitches in the 7th) and it's time to find out of he's a moron all on his own, or just a moron by proxy.

I'm beginning to wonder about Trammell, Gibson, and Morris suddenly being back on the Detroit payroll. Trammell who has the most obscure job title on the planet (Special Assistant to David Dombrowski), and why the fuck would Gibby and Morris share time with Rod as announcers? The nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach is that if Ausmus gets us off to a slow start, the staff will be wiped, and Gibby will become manager, Trammell his bench coach, and Morris the pitching coach. And I'm sure Lance would be here as well.

I would immediately call for DD's head if Gibby got hired as manager. And then call for Gibby's head too. He should never manage again.

We will see if Ausmus learned from his mistakes. If he says "he's our 7th-inning guy" in any press conference I will know he hasn't.

Lamont needs to go.

That way we know Ausmus is making his own decisions (good or bad) and not being wet-nursed by Gene and Smokes. He's supposed to be a smart sabr type guy, but does some incredibly stupid things (Alberquerque only pitches in the 7th) and it's time to find out of he's a moron all on his own, or just a moron by proxy.

I'm beginning to wonder about Trammell, Gibson, and Morris suddenly being back on the Detroit payroll. Trammell who has the most obscure job title on the planet (Special Assistant to David Dombrowski), and why the fuck would Gibby and Morris share time with Rod as announcers? The nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach is that if Ausmus gets us off to a slow start, the staff will be wiped, and Gibby will become manager, Trammell his bench coach, and Morris the pitching coach. And I'm sure Lance would be here as well.

And Rod Allen the hitting coach. That would convert me into a White Sox fan in a hurry.

After 2014, I have no faith in Ausmus whatsoever. I don't care for any excuses.

If we are wanting someone from the 1984 Tiger organization, then Bob Melvin would do. As would Tom Brookens.

It's one season. The Tigers don't operate like the Detroit Pistons.

He's a smart, smart guy. Give him a freaking minute to figure things out. That's the reactionary nature of sports. And that's why the Pistons have sucked for so long, no one wanted to come in to clean up the mess, knowing they would have a season leash.

It takes smart guys multiple seasons to learn? OK, I want the dumb guy.

There was no indication all season long that Ausmus learned from his mistakes. You would think by September the newness of the job would have worn off. A rookie is only a rookie at the beginning of the year. By game 162, he might be a rookie in label only.

FYI...I don't get the Pistons comparison at all.

It takes smart guys multiple seasons to learn? OK, I want the dumb guy.

There was no indication all season long that Ausmus learned from his mistakes. You would think by September the newness of the job would have worn off. A rookie is only a rookie at the beginning of the year. By game 162, he might be a rookie in label only.

FYI...I don't get the Pistons comparison at all.

I think he was saying that the Pistons changed head coaches over and over again never getting any continuity. Since 2005 they have had 7 head coaches.

If you follow the past history of the Pistons, you'll know. They have had 13 new coaches since Chuck Daly left in 1992. Once you get into the habit of hiring and firing coaches after such short periods of time, you water down the interest of the job, not to mention the trust level in the organization.

It's his first year. Yes, he made mistakes, a few of which were crucial in the first round of the playoffs. Would we be echoing the same words if they somehow managed to get by Baltimore and then got swatted in the next round?

It was his first time in the playoffs. It's a whole different ball game in the post-season. And yeah, he made a mess of it. But firing him after 1 season is just asinine.

Where did I or anyone else suggest he should be fired after just 1 season?

If DET is out of it before the All Star break, he becomes the sacrifical lamb, even though it will probably be DD's fault.

I had thought you were suggesting the Piston really smart coaches that were getting fired.l,

Maybe not you specifically, but there are PLENTY of people on this board who wanted him fired after this year.

I wanted him fired immediately when Maddon became available. After Maddon went to the Cubs, I didnt care as much. No one else was available this offseason that Id have been fine firing dumbassmus for after one season.

Last edited:
When Maddon was on the market, I wanted DD to give Ausmus the Les Moss Treatment.

But firing him after 1 season is just asinine.

It's a lot more asinine to keep him a bunch of years and hurt the team in hopes he will learn.

People had been talking about Ausmus to the Tigers for a long time, I'd like to know what they saw in him. If he's this green, why was he hired in the first place? Let's not forget he wasn't taking over a last place team, he was taking over one of the best in baseball the last several years, while having 0 managing or coaching experience.

It worked for the Cardinals, but the odds were against it working twice.

How do you know what's going to happen in years 2 and 3, and so on? I agree, if he doesn't loosen up and get a better feel for the game, let him go. But come on, firing coaches after one season is stupid. That's why it didn't happen.

It would have been worth it for Maddon, IMO. Maybe we'll get lucky and Ausmus will improve. I have a feeling he'll be gone after this year though.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Benoit having all sorts of late game struggles in 2013 when Leyland put him in to face Boston in game 2?? Maybe I'm not remembering the situation right, but did he get the same blowback from that move after being a manager in the majors for 900 years?

Benoit had been terrific all season long as the closer. Thats why im STILL pissed we let him walk after the season. That one home run has tainted so many people's memories of Benoit.

How do you know what's going to happen in years 2 and 3, and so on? I agree, if he doesn't loosen up and get a better feel for the game, let him go. But come on, firing coaches after one season is stupid. That's why it didn't happen.

Again, this is not a rebuilding period. It does not compare to the Pistons at all, we were/are a team on top of our division (2013-2014), so how can you talk about waiting 2-3 years to see what's going to happen?

Back