Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Assessing Brad Ausmus

Scary thought: what if DD knows the window is closing and hired Ausmus early while he was available so he can start learning even before the rebuild starts? I feel that next season is going to start a major retooling.

How do you know what's going to happen in years 2 and 3, and so on? I agree, if he doesn't loosen up and get a better feel for the game, let him go. But come on, firing coaches after one season is stupid. That's why it didn't happen.

How about after 53 games?

Signed

Jim Campbell
6-11-79

I was at Moss's last game as a manager.

Personally, I think the window has closed, but that's just me. They have had so many chances to break through, and for whatever reason just never happened. Which is a shame, the team really deserves and needs a title.

The reason is that DD builds unbalanced, top-heavy teams with no bullpen or depth that play really well in the regular season overall because of the number of games, but fails in the playoffs when the weaknesses get amplified and kill us (bullpen, inconsistent-but-good offense with the emphasis on inconsistent in the playoffs, no depth.)

I've said it before this offseason and I'll say it again: if we fail in the playoffs again for the same reasons, I want someone other than DD to do the rebuild because it will have been made clear that his strategy doesnt work.

Last edited:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein

The reason is that DD builds unbalanced, top-heavy teams with no bullpen or depth that play really well in the regular season overall because of the number of games, but fails in the playoffs when the weaknesses get amplified and kill us (bullpen, inconsistent-but-good offense with the emphasis on inconsistent in the playoffs, no depth.)

I've said it before this offseason and I'll say it again: if we fail in the playoffs again for the same reasons, I want someone other than DD to do the rebuild because it will have been made clear that his strategy doesnt work.

When it comes time to re

When the time comes to "re-build" this team...look forward to a LONG process. Things will get ugly!

And a GM like Randy Smith will follow DD and will ripped for years because he will inherit a completely bare cupboard.

And a GM like Randy Smith will follow DD and will ripped for years because he will inherit a completely bare cupboard.

That could be very true. If I were DD I would be looking for a "new challenge" in the near future!

When it comes time to re

When the time comes to "re-build" this team...look forward to a LONG process. Things will get ugly!

It doesnt have to be if done right. We need to develop/find some good, young, cost-controlled guys to fill the holes that are going to open up soon (LF/3B depending on Casty, CF because Gose sucks ass, 2B for once Kinsler is gone, C, at least one SP, and the whole goddamn bullpen & bench) to go with the guys we already have locked up long term. I just don't have the faith in DD to get it done, or get it done well.

Last edited:
When it comes time to re

It probably wouldn't be the worst thing if they were out of it early and became sellers at the deadline.

Price, Simon, Soria, Cespedes, Avila, Rajai, and possibly even Kinsler could net some return.

It doesnt have to be if done right. We need to develop/find some good, young, cost-controlled guys to fill the holes that are going to open up soon (LF/3B depending on Casty, CF because Gose sucks ass, 2B for once Kinsler is gone, C, at least one SP, and the whole goddamn bullpen & bench) to go with the guys we already have locked up long term. I just don't have the faith in DD to get it done, or get it done well.
Add in that they will be paying about 120 million between Cabrera, Victor, JD, Iglesias, Kinsler, Verlander, and Sanchez

Add in that they will be paying about 120 million between Cabrera, Victor, JD, Iglesias, Kinsler, Verlander, and Sanchez

Iglesias? He makes peanuts..Same with JD.

Last edited:
I'm all for trading Kinsler for a big haul, provided we would get a 2B prospect back. Same with Sanchez. They have the most trade value, IMO.

The problem is the farm system is depleted and in order to bring in young cost controlled players you have to give something up...the Tigers really don't have much (of value) to give up.

I'm all for trading Kinsler for a big haul, provided we would get a 2B prospect back. Same with Sanchez. They have the most trade value, IMO.

I doubt highly that Kinsler will net us anything special. His performance is not inline with his salary. So we would have to either pay to get rid of him or take on another bad contract. And at this point, after trading Devon Travis, it would be almost insane to trade Kinsler.

The problem is the farm system is depleted and in order to bring in young cost controlled players you have to give something up...the Tigers really don't have much (of value) to give up.

We need more of those types of players to come from our farm system instead of using it only as trade bait for more expensive players. Unfortunately, DD is shit at that.

The Tigers need to change their drafting philosophy, especially of position players.
Start drafting players with higher ceilings, those young high school or college players who have an idea of what the strike zone, and not free swinging hacks.
It also could start with getting scouts, and talent evaluators who know wtf they are doing.

I don't have much hope for Ausmus.

Last edited:
I actually want more players with a bit lower ceilings. Part of our problem is that we tend to draft lots of raw toolsy guys who COULD have a high ceiling but generally just have a high burnout rate. We dont need more stars, we just need solid players. Guys with lower ceilings than those raw, toolsy guys but higher floors are what we need more of.

Last edited:
I actually want more players with a bit lower ceilings. Part of our problem is that we tend to draft lots of raw toolsy guys who COULD have a high ceiling but generally just have a high burnout rate. We dont need more stars, we just need solid players. Guys with lower ceilings than those raw, toolsy guys but higher floors are what we need more of.

Well some of that Joel, some of the toolsy guys don't have a clue on the strike zone. They can run and run fast or field like a magician.
We have seen so many late bloomers into their mid to later 20's, players that take several more years to become legit major leaguers. High or low ceilings, plate discipline/pitch recognition, players who won't strike out once every 3 at bats. Look at Moya, Boesch, several others that took longer to make, and had short success only to flame out.

Back