Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers bring back Joba Chamberlain

dale675

Wonderful, I don't know what I would have done without that second half ERA near 5.00 and a WHIP of 1.50. I swear if he starts 2015 like he pitched the second half of 2014 then this clown better be released.

"The Tigers have agreed to bring back righty reliever Joba Chamberlain on a one-year, major league deal. Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal, who first reported the deal, says that it's worth $1 million, plus incentives."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/02/24/detroit-tigers-joba-chamberlain/23925071/

Solid pick up for a million bucks. Hopefully we get 1st half Joba and he doesn't get overused again.

first 1/2 Joba will be great. 2nd half...not so much.

first 1/2 Joba will be great. 2nd half...not so much.

Considering it was his first year back after TJ surgery, it was pretty clear to most people not named Brad that he was wearing down the 2nd half. Brad continued to ride that train into the ground. Not saying it was ALL his fault, cause Joba was pretty bad, but I think he could have been used more efficiently in different scenarios. Just my opinion.

That bull pen was such a hot mess last year...I don't know if you could have used Joba less. Hopefully this year is a different story.

This is a surprise. Starting to think that Hanrahan may not see any action as a Tiger, at least not to start the year, so this might not be a bad depth pick up. Can't be too upset with a 1yr/$1mil deal either. Hopefully he can be used less and will be more effective as a result.

Insanity....keep signing bad/injured pitchers hoping they can they perform. You pay enough of them $1 Mil, you just might get a dollar in value.

I don't see any harm in this signing whatsoever. He had some solid production, and you are paying him 1 million. What's the worst that's going to happen? He sucks, you let him go. It's another option.

Last edited:
I don't see any harm in this signing whatsoever. He had some solid production, and you are paying him 1 million. What's the worst that's going to happen? He sucks, you let him go. It's another option.

You are correct on paper. I just know how this goes, Joba will start ok but then start to suck, and Ausmus will keep him in the same role and say "he's our 8th inning setup man" and won't have the balls to switch his role, and the team won't release him because this organization is way too loyal to shit players.

You are correct on paper. I just know how this goes, Joba will start ok but then start to suck, and Ausmus will keep him in the same role and say "he's our 8th inning setup man" and won't have the balls to switch his role, and the team won't release him because this organization is way too loyal to shit players.

That is where Ausmus has to improve. He had zero ability to adapt last year. I think there is just as big of a question mark with him as there are with some of the players.

Hopefully, it won't come to the point where we need to rely on him like that. If Soria stays healthy, he should be our 8th inning guy or closer if Nathan stinks again. If Rondon is healthy, he should provide some real punch for us in the 7th or 8th. We also have Al Al, who could/should play a bigger role, Gorzellany (sp?) who replaces Coke, then we hope for something out of Joba, Hanrahan, Farmer, etc. Lots of question marks for sure, but I feel better about the pen this year than I did last year.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...us-perplexing-as-spring-training-nears-012915
CHAMBERLAIN'S STATUS PERPLEXING AS SPRING TRAINING NEARS.

"Joba?s had some issues family-wise,? Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski told the Detroit Free Press after the team clinched the AL Central.
?His mom?s been very sick. People don?t realize how that has affected him at times.?

So what was he then doing pitching in high-leverage situations? I mean, my mom was sick for a long time, too but it did not affect my performance at work. Not lacking in empathy, but ... really? That's the reason he was so ineffective? And if that IS the reason, why did the Tigers take so long to resign him?

Stupid. Our bullpen was terrible last year, why bring back another piece of why it was terrible, regardless of cost?

Stupid. Our bullpen was terrible last year, why bring back another piece of why it was terrible, regardless of cost?

while he was not good all year he wasn't the problem. Tiger relief pitchers who had more than 10 innings, here are his rankings in these categories:

WHIP 2nd
ERA 3rd
K/9 3rd
Innings pitched 1st

I have no problem with the signing as long as he has similar numbers as last year and he is the Tigers 4th best RH relief pitcher!

The problem Tom is you're looking at his season totals. He had a career first half, that inflated those numbers.

And the fact he was 1st in innings pitched is not a good thing, that's on our rookie manager and bonehead Jones.

The problem Tom is you're looking at his season totals. He had a career first half, that inflated those numbers.

And the fact he was 1st in innings pitched is not a good thing, that's on our rookie manager and bonehead Jones.

The problem is the Tigers didn't really have anyone else to rely on other than Al and Joba. His overall numbers were right in line with his career numbers as a reliever (3.52 era / 1.29 WHIP). My guess is his fall off towards the end of the season was partially the result of over use and partially to do with the stress of his mom being sick.

Id rather take Ogando and Badenhop over both Joba and Hannerhan. 1 yr fliers are fine on bp guys but no sense to continue bringing failures back

So what was he then doing pitching in high-leverage situations? I mean, my mom was sick for a long time, too but it did not affect my performance at work. Not lacking in empathy, but ... really? That's the reason he was so ineffective? And if that IS the reason, why did the Tigers take so long to resign him?

That is a question for Ausmus, along with all of us knowing they didn't have anyone to step up for him, or the mismanagement of the bullpen with Al-Al not used in those situations.

We really don't have many in the front office that make more sound decisions than foolish ones.

Byco, I Hope all is well with your Mom.

Back