Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers bring back Joba Chamberlain

Where is Burke Badenhop now?

Oh that is right, we only bring back the hard throwing/terrible relievers.

Cost controlled for 5-6 years versus $1 Mil for 1 year and dropping someone from the 40-man roster. Umm, fuck it, let's spend the $1 Mil and drop a cost controlled player, it doesn't matter much. <sarcasm>

Be with us next time on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

Grab a shovel and start digging. Got to be some one out there with some life left in them. Or Fly a kite in a storm bound to find lighting some time.

DD, please develop internal relief help.

DET releases Chad Smith but signs Joba. At this point, Chad Smith could do just as well and cost less.

In DD's defense; if DD thought that Chad Smith was any good, he would have already been traded.

A guy with good stuff like Buck Farmer should be in the Tiger bullpen. Usually dominant starters in the minors make great MLB relievers.. sometimes they make great MLB starters, too, but we already have our starters. Farmer could make a fantastic set-up guy with his control and ability to strike people out.

Where is Burke Badenhop now?

Oh that is right, we only bring back the hard throwing/terrible relievers.

Cost controlled for 5-6 years versus $1 Mil for 1 year and dropping someone from the 40-man roster. Umm, fuck it, let's spend the $1 Mil and drop a cost controlled player, it doesn't matter much. <sarcasm>

Wasn't he part of the trade for Miggy?

Wasn't he part of the trade for Miggy?

Yes he was.
December 4, 2007: Traded by the Florida Marlins with Dontrelle Willis to the Detroit Tigers for Dallas Trahern (minors), Burke Badenhop, Frankie De La Cruz, Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and Mike Rabelo.

Yes he was.
December 4, 2007: Traded by the Florida Marlins with Dontrelle Willis to the Detroit Tigers for Dallas Trahern (minors), Burke Badenhop, Frankie De La Cruz, Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and Mike Rabelo.

Since all have reached ceiling, this trade was essentially Miggy for Miller and Badenhop. Still one of the biggest steals in history. Maybin was decent for a couple years, but he's pretty much done now.

I'm not as worried about the pen this year. Soria will be better, We'll have Rondon, and Gorzelanny is leaps and bounds better than Phil Coke. Only real question mark is still Joe Nathan..but age aside, he is a decent case to bounce back. Why? His velocity was still fine. Mechanics are to blame, not age.. at least not yet. It's possible he regains control this year but loses his stuff. We do have adequate insurance now with Soria and even AA. Joba isn't good, but he could be fine as a 7th inning guy if we don't throw him more than 40 innings this year. Im not one to be optimistic, but I am this year for some reason. At least, about the pen.

I'm not as worried about the pen this year. Soria will be better, We'll have Rondon, and Gorzelanny is leaps and bounds better than Phil Coke. Only real question mark is still Joe Nathan..but age aside, he is a decent case to bounce back. Why? His velocity was still fine. Mechanics are to blame, not age.. at least not yet. It's possible he regains control this year but loses his stuff. We do have adequate insurance now with Soria and even AA. Joba isn't good, but he could be fine as a 7th inning guy if we don't throw him more than 40 innings this year. Im not one to be optimistic, but I am this year for some reason. At least, about the pen.

Rondon is still a huge question mark.

As is Soria, Nathan, and Chamberlain. They did not get better in the bullpen.

Since all have reached ceiling, this trade was essentially Miggy for Miller and Badenhop. Still one of the biggest steals in history. Maybin was decent for a couple years, but he's pretty much done now.
Maybin needs a change of scenery. He is 28 and still has not done squat

As is Soria, Nathan, and Chamberlain. They did not get better in the bullpen.

I think Soria will be fine, he got roughed up a little after the trade last year, but he's pretty solid I believe.

Nathan will end up just like Valverde and Jones. He'll have both hot and cold streaks, the real question will be whether or not Ausmus will have the balls to swap closers if Joe really has a bad streak. My money is on no.

Hard to believe the bullpen will be as bad as last year, but they really didn't improve anywhere.

I think Soria will be fine, he got roughed up a little after the trade last year, but he's pretty solid I believe.

Nathan will end up just like Valverde and Jones. He'll have both hot and cold streaks, the real question will be whether or not Ausmus will have the balls to swap closers if Joe really has a bad streak. My money is on no.

Hard to believe the bullpen will be as bad as last year, but they really didn't improve anywhere.

I'm going with no as well. If Ausmus had any balls the closer job would be an open competition right now.

This AM I heard on MLB radio that Chamberlain turned down a one year $2.5M contract with another team to go back to the Tigers. They said that he made his decision to come back to Detroit because of "unfinished business" and he talked to his 8 year old son who said he wanted to stay in Detroit because he knew the players and people. He is friend's with Victor's son. They mentioned Tex, KC, LA and Brewers as some of the teams that were interested but didn't say who offered the $2.5M

I'm going with no as well. If Ausmus had any balls the closer job would be an open competition right now.

It has to be partially a mandate from DD. They're paying Nathan $10 million this year to close, so he's the closer to start. Its stupid as fuck, but hopefully he'll have a shorter leash this year.

Hopefully.

This AM I heard on MLB radio that Chamberlain turned down a one year $2.5M contract with another team to go back to the Tigers. They said that he made his decision to come back to Detroit because of "unfinished business" and he talked to his 8 year old son who said he wanted to stay in Detroit because he knew the players and people. He is friend's with Victor's son. They mentioned Tex, KC, LA and Brewers as some of the teams that were interested but didn't say who offered the $2.5M
That makes me feel better... NOT

Back