Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 119: Pirates @ Tigers, August 14th 2014

That's our boy, Coke.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 AM #108
lonesometiger

Originally Posted by tigermud View Post
2 runs on 5 hits 3 of which all came in the first inning, whatever coke does here makes no difference

Yea it does. The closer he gets to a 3 era the sooner he will implode. That's been his MO since 2010 the only season he finished under 4.00!

Moved from 4.12 to 4.50 in 1/3 of an inning They should learn how to use Coke! The closer he gets to a 3.99 era he should be only used in games we are behind! He proves my case again. Yep "That's our boy, Coke."

Hey tigers win two in a row! Now if we can just get the damn royals to stop playing .900 ball FFS this is stupid

Also I think Oakland made a huge mistake trading their #4 hitter, their offense hasn't been great every since, good for us, if tigers have to face them again in the post season, if we can get back into the PS that is

Last edited:
Outrageous Statement of the Day: In the end, I'd rather have Phil Coke on my team over Joe Nathan.

Outrageous Statement of the Day: In the end, I'd rather have Phil Coke on my team over Joe Nathan.

Coke admits when he's stinks though, doesn't make excuses, I like that, I like coke, it's not really that outrageous IMO Would I rather have him close games over Nathan? mmmmm probably not but I'm not sure I want Nathan trying to close em out anymore either so damned if you do, damned if you don't, such is the way of the 7th, 8th and 9th on most days/nights

Coke admits when he's stinks though, doesn't make excuses, I like that, I like coke, it's not really that outrageous IMO Would I rather have him close games over Nathan? mmmmm probably not but I'm not sure I want Nathan trying to close em out anymore either so damned if you do, damned if you don't, such is the way of the 7th, 8th and 9th on most days/nights

My point is given a choice between two guys who suck, I'll take the one who is not a giant cunt everytime.

Coke makes $1 million, sucks, and when the crowd/media get on him he takes it in stride, with humility.

Nathan makes $10 million, sucks, and when the crowd/media get on him, he blames his fielders, manager, or just tells people that boo a guy making 10 fucking million to be a poor excuse for Jose Valverde, to go fuck themselves.

If he isn't on waivers already, DD is just sleeping on the job anymore.

It's really bizarre. Wasn't Joe Nathan on some really bad Minnesota Twins teams? I don't ever remember hearing stories about how he was some hot head, or how he got into altercations with the fans.

It's really bizarre. Wasn't Joe Nathan on some really bad Minnesota Twins teams? I don't ever remember hearing stories about how he was some hot head, or how he got into altercations with the fans.

No, not at all. From 2004-2009, his effective years with MIN, MIN only had 1 losing season, 2007, where they went 79-83.

From 2001-2010 (10 seasons), 2007 is the only losing season for MIN. 6 out of those 10 years they finished 1st in the AL Central. 2008 they were only 1 game back.

Nathan has 5 years in the post season. 1x SFG, 1x TEX and 3xMIN

Career Playoffs = 9.00 ERA 2.44 WHIP

And yes, I know, not a good sample size. Yet, it is roughly the same as what some Tiger fans judge other player's playoff performance.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Totally forgot that they were a pretty decent team. Probably thinking more about the modern era of Twins baseball.

My point is given a choice between two guys who suck, I'll take the one who is not a giant cunt everytime.

Coke makes $1 million, sucks, and when the crowd/media get on him he takes it in stride, with humility.

Nathan makes $10 million, sucks, and when the crowd/media get on him, he blames his fielders, manager, or just tells people that boo a guy making 10 fucking million to be a poor excuse for Jose Valverde, to go fuck themselves.

If he isn't on waivers already, DD is just sleeping on the job anymore.

Hey I can't disagree with that, so I guess the original use of the word outrageous was facetious then. I'm a little slow.

Lloyd out-managed Brad, as early as filling out the lineup card. All those lefty bats made Porcello look like the #5 starter we were accustomed to seeing, in years past. Kinsler probably had his worst game as a Tiger, both offensively and defensively.

But there's good news: Melvin Mercedes picked a great time to introduce himself to Comerica Park patrons, showing off his entire arsenal that worked. "Everything working" is a rare sight with Mercedes. Hope it continues as a Tiger.

Last edited:
Back