Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hypothetically

Thundercats

If we fall say.. 5-7 games back by the last week of August. Do we put Max through waivers and trade him? I would.. hell, I'd do it now. This team has an uphill battle with their injuries.

If we fall say.. 5-7 games back by the last week of August. Do we put Max through waivers and trade him? I would.. hell, I'd do it now. This team has an uphill battle with their injuries.

Not sure any would claim and trade for him for a month.

You would be selling short. I would wait for the draft pick.

Need to resign him or would like him pitching against the Tigers? He'll go to a playoff team for sure. Let alone an AL team. Lets see how would he look in say a Redsox or Whitesox rotation. They both have the money. And lets face it Bosox has made ROOM with there trades.

How would Max get through waivers? A team would only be picking up the last month of his contract (which is damn cheap for an ace in the postseason). At best, three contenders would put in a claim just to stop the others from getting him.

How would Max get through waivers? A team would only be picking up the last month of his contract (which is damn cheap for an ace in the postseason). At best, three contenders would put in a claim just to stop the others from getting him.

They'd still have to trade for him though. Of course some bad team will put in a claim..

it would be hard to drop 5-7 games behind in 2 weeks

Any player under contract may be placed on waivers ("waived") at any time. After MLB's July 31 trade deadline and through to the end of the season, however, a team must place a player on waivers if that player is to be traded.

If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference. In the first month of the season, preference is determined using the previous year's standings.

If a team claims a player off waivers and has a viable claim as described above, his current team (the "waiving team") may choose one of the following options:

arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
do nothing and allow the claiming team to assume the player's existing contract, pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and place the player on its active major league roster.
If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season—a subsequent waiver would be irrevocable with a claiming team getting the player essentially for nothing.[6] If no team claims a player off waivers after three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded (to any team), or released outright.

at this point,I'd let J.V. go if someone ate his contract and keep Swerz and Price.

Even if that were a remotely good idea (its not), no one would ever take his contract from us.

It's a great idea. It's just not going to happen, not without eating more of Verlander's money-owed, than what we ate peddling Fielder.

In 2-3 more years, we may be saying the same with Cabrera.

We can always pull him back. Right now who knows. But why a drat pick? How have those worked out for us?

Back