Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Leyland and McClendon

bdemil1

How many of u were like me thinking we would be better off without those 2. I am surprised there isn't the outrage on this board like their would if Leyland and Mac were still our coaches.
I don't know if we can overcome our lack of clutch hitting. Very depressing right now being a Tiger fan.

Some people over value managers and their impact on a game in comparison to what the players do. Who the manager is makes no difference, people are going to bitch.

Last edited:
I think managers make mistakes, like allowing our rook SS swing away 3-0 after 2 walks. But as far as winning and losing, that's on the players - or GM.

How many of u were like me thinking we would be better off without those 2. I am surprised there isn't the outrage on this board like their would if Leyland and Mac were still our coaches.
I don't know if we can overcome our lack of clutch hitting. Very depressing right now being a Tiger fan.

Ausmus is getting a grace period right now, Mac wouldn't have gotten that since he would have been an extension of leyland.

I agree with the other posts, managers impact is minimal at the major league level. there are fundamental percentage plays but they all know what to do, pretty basic strategy

I agree it's very depressing being a Tigers fan right now. ups and down, this is probably the biggest down on the year right now. so pessimistic it's not even funny. The offense or lack thereof is enough to drive any regular watching fan bat shit crazy. I'm just going to try lying to myself and say well.. last year they were hot in Aug and then stunk really bad in Sep and most of the post season games. Maybe it's just a script flip and they are getting all the crap offense out of the way now in here in Aug so Sep and Oct will be good to go for once?

Good lie to myself?

Last edited:
During spring Training there were some including my self that were concerned about the bull pen. With this pen I wonder how it would get to the closer. Well the closer is a problem as well. Who would have guessed.
Bottom line this team was "BUILT by DD". He put the fail/run pen together. DD went out and got Nathan. The Yanks knew Joba was not a closer. But lets face it Joe has not been good so Tigers have to try something.
Ausmus did not have much say in this team. He has had very little to do with putting this mess together. As far as strategy goes. You got to work with what you got. And that belongs to DD.
DD does not get too much grief because he not on the field. The behind the throne guy gets off. Out of sight out of mind. But this team is DD's; traded, drafted, free agent, hand picked.
But there is still games to play. And the tigers are still in 1st place. And who knows the offence might still find a way to ({["GRIND"]}) out at bats. NOW THAT FALLS ON THE MANAGER AND COACHES. Swinging at the 1st pitched after a walk or two. Swinging on 3-0. Throwing down the middle pitches on 0-2. Yea that's on Brad Ausmus!

But give DD some credit for the Tigers problems as well.

I will also say that a manager's ability is overrated. Given the same talent, a manager's impact is negligible. But they can still make "stupid" decisions.

A manager's job is to put the players in a position to succeed. It is still on the players. Line ups and bull pen decisions can effect some games, but it still on the players to perform. Most managers make decisions based on a given player's reputation and track record.

And the manager has little to say who is on his bench or who is in the bullpen. That is all on DD. And it really hasn't changed much since 2005/2006.

Managers can put guys in spots to success .. I just feel that Jim did that ok sometimes but was really poor in the a lot of post season.. I feel Brad is doing just a ok job... Gotta see results though... DD has to be talked about.. Hopefully he will deliver the Tigers fans a title... But the window seems to be closing...

Last edited:
I hate Ausmus. I think he is a fucking moron who cant manage his way out of a wet paper sack.

That being said, this is on the players to perform and DD for assembling this flawed "stars and scrubs" roster with stars who are injured and/or underperforming and a number of scrubs who have no business being on a ML roster (kelly and romine, for starters.)

Back