Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Don Kelly

biggunsbob

Please some one explain to me how this guy has gotten 39 starts this season... I am sorry but Don should not be starting any games at all.... Really he s not even a good utility player as he can't produce at all at the plate... 120 at bats he has only 30 hits.. Only 4 extra base hits... I guess he just got his 5th Rbi...yippee... He should never be starting at all...

I don't get all the Don Kelly hate. He's a bench guy and he's decent/useful enough to stay on the roster hitting .250 and being able to play all positions on the field. If he was an everyday starter, I'd get it, but he's far from that.

I don't get all the Don Kelly hate. He's a bench guy and he's decent/useful enough to stay on the roster hitting .250 and being able to play all positions on the field. If he was an everyday starter, I'd get it, but he's far from that.

It's just that he's Don freakin' Kelly.

He comes in and pitches the ninth inning, and blows every save opportunity.

Or he dangles his unlucky rabbit's foot at Justin Verlander, and Verlander goes from having a one run lead to a seven run deficit.

Although Verlander still has Kate Upton's tits to go home to; which may be another problem; but that's for another thread and another day...

Let's see, what else does Don Kelly do?

Oh, that's right...

He distracts Alex Avila behind the plate, causing AA to continually get clonked in the head and the arms and the shins and the fucking balls by foul tips, no doubt bringing Avila's hitting average down well below what it would be, were it not for Don freakin' Kelly.

He's Don freakin' Kelly, and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

He is the root of all the Tigers problems, and he has to go.

You know what else Don Kelly did?

A couple or three years ago or so, when Bobby Abreau and Torii Hunter was on the California Angels, and the Angels had been eliminated from playoff eligibility, Don freakin' Kelly caused Angels manager Mike Scioscia to bench Abreau and Hunter on the 162nd day of the season so Sosha could get a look at a couple prospects against Texas.

Texas won that game, giving them home field advantage against Detroit in the ALCS...which we lost.

Thanks to Don freakin' Kelly.

So don't come onto this board defending Don freakin' Kelly.

Don freakin' Kelly is the epitome of everything that is wrong with the Detroit Tigers.

Don Freakin' Kelly is A lefty bat that can play anywhere and that's why he remains.

Expect his playing time to diminsh in September, should our DL list not grow.

You make it sound like he plays all these positions well. He doesn't.

Exactly. His usefulness was depleted when he stopped being average or above average defensively. He's been below average at every position he's played this year except LF, and he has only 36 innings there. We already know he can't hit anything at all, and with his defensive skills no longer of much use, he has absolutely no business being on the roster. At all.

This isnt a new thing, either. Going by fangraphs, the last time he provided positive defensive value in the OF was 2011. He was rated good at 3B last year, but terrible this year and the year before. Don Kelly is useless to us now, and he has been for a few years.

Last edited:
He doesn't have to be. He's not starter quality, but he's also not as bad as you guys make him sound. He's a replacement to decent defender depending on position, he's got okay speed, he hits lefty and is batting .250, and he can literally play any position on the field. He's basically a single player who gives you more roster flexibility than multiple scrubs.

He doesn't have to be. He's not starter quality, but he's also not as bad as you guys make him sound. He's a replacement to decent defender depending on position, he's got okay speed, he hits lefty and is batting .250, and he can literally play any position on the field. He's basically a single player who gives you more roster flexibility than multiple scrubs.

Yes he is..

He adds nothing.

nobody....but most are. If they weren't they wouldn't be bench players.

Some teams, smart teams have bench players who are good in the field. We don't need a .280 hitter, we need bench players who can play defense. Kelly, not so much.

Oh wow! If his batting average is okay that must mean he's useful right? I mean forget his pathetic .615 OPS or his downright laughable .292 slugging percentage. Batting average is what's important after all, here in 1920!

/sarcasm

nobody....but most are. If they weren't they wouldn't be bench players.
That doesnt make any sense to me. Just because a player isnt an everyday player doesnt automatically make them a scrub. Players who excel at maybe one or two things (like Davis, who crushes lefties and has speed, but shouldnt be an everyday player in any way) or jacks-of-all-trades who do a few things good/ok but nothing great (like Kelly 3-4 years ago or like Suarez could be in the infield after this year, but better than Kelly ever was) make good bench players. Scrubs are guys like Kelly now who do NOTHING well. Sure, you can still throw Kelly out in a bunch of different positions, but if he's not going to play them well and he's not going to hit, what's the point?

Our bench:
Kelly - scrub. good at nothing anymore, his bat is now somehow worse than it ever was.
Holaday - scrub. not even a good backup catcher because not only can he not hit a lick, but he sucks on defense.
Carrera/Davis - good platoon, good bench players in their own ways
Romine - scrub. should have been useful for his defense, but with zero bat and defense that has been both great and terrible, we have better INF backup options even now *coughWorthcough*. Expect Perez to take all his playing time once the AAA season is done.

Half our bench can be solved by ditching Holaday and Romine and bringing up McCann and Perez. Kelly SHOULD go whenever Dirks gets back, and if he's on the team next year I might fucking snap. Davis will still be here next year, Carrera might too depending on what OF moves we make in the offseason. At the very least I expect the Dirks/Davis LF platoon we were going to go with this year before Dirks fell apart (i mean, unless dirks never gets healthy.)

Last edited:
That doesnt make any sense to me. Just because a player isnt an everyday player doesnt automatically make them a scrub. Players who excel at maybe one or two things (like Davis, who crushes lefties and has speed, but shouldnt be an everyday player in any way) or jacks-of-all-trades who do a few things good/ok but nothing great (like Kelly 3-4 years ago or like Suarez could be in the infield after this year, but better than Kelly ever was) make good bench players. Scrubs are guys like Kelly now who do NOTHING well. Sure, you can still throw Kelly out in a bunch of different positions, but if he's not going to play them well and he's not going to hit, what's the point?

Our bench:
Kelly - scrub. good at nothing anymore, his bat is now somehow worse than it ever was.
Holaday - scrub. not even a good backup catcher because not only can he not hit a lick, but he sucks on defense.
Carrera/Davis - good platoon, good bench players in their own ways
Romine - scrub. should have been useful for his defense, but with zero bat and defense that has been both great and terrible, we have better INF backup options even now *coughWorthcough*. Expect Perez to take all his playing time once the AAA season is done.

Half our bench can be solved by ditching Holaday and Romine and bringing up McCann and Perez. Kelly SHOULD go whenever Dirks gets back, and if he's on the team next year I might fucking snap. Davis will still be here next year, Carrera might too depending on what OF moves we make in the offseason. At the very least I expect the Dirks/Davis LF platoon we were going to go with this year before Dirks fell apart (i mean, unless dirks never gets healthy.)

I agree with you on McCann. Davis is a starter...like it or not. Carrera should be a back up. None of the bench type players you talk about are any better than Kelly. All have weaknesses. Kelly is an end of the bench type player that is on the Tigers because he can play so many positions. The reason most hate him is because he sees too much playing time. This is because DD has created a team of "studs and scrubs". It will only get worse over the next few seasons.

Davis is a starter only because trades and injuries have forced him to be, he should face as little RHP as possible and should NEVER start against one (let alone lead off like ausmus does sometimes.)

Oh wow! If his batting average is okay that must mean he's useful right? I mean forget his pathetic .615 OPS or his downright laughable .292 slugging percentage. Batting average is what's important after all, here in 1920!

/sarcasm
Who is forgetting any of that? The OP came out bashing his 30/120 hitting. That equates to a .250avg, which is actually decent. It's an empty .250, but I'd take that over an empty .200, wouldn't you? All I'm getting at is that his versatility is what keeps him on the roster, and I think that he's getting piled on for being worse than he really is. Don Kelly is far from the Tigers' biggest issue.

Davis is a starter only because trades and injuries have forced him to be, he should face as little RHP as possible and should NEVER start against one (let alone lead off like ausmus does sometimes.)

that is what I meant...he is a starter on the Tigers...like it or not.

Who is forgetting any of that? The OP came out bashing his 30/120 hitting. That equates to a .250avg, which is actually decent. It's an empty .250, but I'd take that over an empty .200, wouldn't you? All I'm getting at is that his versatility is what keeps him on the roster, and I think that he's getting piled on for being worse than he really is. Don Kelly is far from the Tigers' biggest issue.

He's still an issue though. Just because he's not the biggest one doesnt mean we cant discuss/complain about it.

Back