Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Don Kelly

I just can't believe anyone is defending Don Kelly's 39 FUCKING STARTS THIS YEAR... He should only be in a game if the Tigers are winning in a blowout or losing in a blowout period... His production does not justify 39 starts at all..

I don't think he's worse that other teams 25th best player

He's still an issue though. Just because he's not the biggest one doesnt mean we cant discuss/complain about it.

I'm not saying anybody is wrong or trying to stop any discussion. I know Kelly is hated by many, but the guy doesn't bother me all that much because I can still see some value there. He's basically the end of the bench guy for us and is probably on par with or better/more useful than most other teams' end of the bench guy.

Who is forgetting any of that? The OP came out bashing his 30/120 hitting. That equates to a .250avg, which is actually decent. It's an empty .250, but I'd take that over an empty .200, wouldn't you? All I'm getting at is that his versatility is what keeps him on the roster, and I think that he's getting piled on for being worse than he really is. Don Kelly is far from the Tigers' biggest issue.

Oh its empty... please dig a little deeper.. I would much prefer a guy with a .220 average and 5 homers and 2o RBI's then what this stiff has provided in his plate appearances...

Which is 0 homers and 5 rbi's and 39 damn starts and numerous pinch hitting appearances.

Maybe Kelly would be ok if he had started only 5-10 games.... But 39 games started is just not what is needed from a 25th guy scrub on a contending team, and what he his produced...

Last edited:
I just can't believe anyone is defending Don Kelly's 39 FUCKING STARTS THIS YEAR... He should only be in a game if the Tigers are winning in a blowout or losing in a blowout period... His production does not justify 39 starts at all..

Can't disagree on the use, but shouldn't your gripe be with Ausmus, or is DKB now writing out the lineups too?

It's hard to call Kelly our 25th man, as sbee does. Because we still have Romine.

The min reason people bash on Kelly (someone called it hate, and it's not hate) is because we have cut better players to make roster moves, and guys like Kelly and Coke are still around when any reasonable baseball logic says they are the first ones you let go.

At this point in time the Tigers have 3 players that really aren't major leaguers;
Kelly, Romine, and Holaday, what we call 4 AAAA players,
Tigers have Stars and mostly scrubs.

The Tigers always seem to release guys too late..Inge, Raburn*, Santiago and now Kelly/Coke.

* Maybe/maybe not.

Last edited:
There are 33 players in the AL with at least 125 plate appearances that have a worse OPS than Kelly (including Romine who is 5th worst)

More than half of those are released or sent down to the minors.

I am pretty sure we could find a better utility guys then Kelly and Romine for a million dollars..

1 million dollars is what Kelly makes... He must thanks the heavens for how lucky his baseball life has been.... At least Raburn hit some homer and drove in some runs in his career... Kelly's career has been extended by one freaking Homer run that he hit in the playoffs verses the Yankees..... I can give you him being on the team but no way he should have 39 starts at all..

Kelly starting again tonight and hitting 6th because Ausmus is a goddamn fucking moron.

Back