Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 119: Pirates @ Tigers, August 14th 2014

.190 is better than .000.

Lol yeah because I'm sure he would have a 0% success rate if he tries to bunt. One instance where he failed a couple of seasons ago isn't enough to convince me. Even if he sucks at bunting, with the way Liriano was pitching at the time was there much doubt he would just strike out, or worse hit into a double play? A bunt at least moves the runner over even if Avila is thrown out. Don't wanna go back and forth on this again. You think bunting is impossible to execute, I get it.

Last edited:
Davis grounds it past a diving Harrison, he'll pull into 2nd with a double...1 on

Kinsler walks on 4 pitches...2 on

Cabrera up, Liriano turns and throws past Mercer at 2nd, Davis to 3rd, Kinsler to 2nd

Cabrera grounds it 3rd, Harrison to 1st, Davis/Kinsler hold...2 on, 1 out

VMart gets a free pass...bases loaded, 1 out

Hunter Ks on 3 pitches...bases loaded, 2 out

JD gets ahead 3-1, draws a walk on the next pitch, Davis scores...bases loaded, 2 out

Tigers add another, up 2-0 now

Castellanos swings and misses 3 times in a row...3 out

Tigers up 2-0 after 6

Liriano @ 101 pitches

Good God.......Each Tiger who made an out swung at balls around their ankles.

Which just goes to show how awful their plate discipline is. Liriano getting so many strikes out of the zone. The Tigers got that inning going by working counts and getting walks. Then Hunter/Nick C ignore that success by hacking like idiots. Well done.

Harrison pops it up to right, Hunter under it...1 out

Davis walks on 4 pitches...1 on, 1 out

Marte Ks on a full count...1 on, 2 out

Alvarez grounds into the overshift, Castellanos to Cabrera...3 out

Tigers lead 2-0 after 6.5

Scherzer @ 108 pitches

Which just goes to show how awful their plate discipline is. Liriano getting so many strikes out of the zone. The Tigers got that inning going by working counts and getting walks. Then Hunter/Nick C ignore that success by hacking like idiots. Well done.

We are the worse that is for sure but to be fair FL leads the league in swings and misses...

Max at 108 pitches, no handshake of doom was seen.

and no one warming up yet.

Last edited:
Lol yeah because I'm sure he would have a 0% success rate if he tries to bunt. One instance where he failed a couple of seasons ago isn't enough to convince me. Even if he sucks at bunting, with the way Liriano was pitching at the time was there much doubt he would just strike out, or worse hit into a double play? A bunt at least moves the runner over even if Avila is thrown out. Don't wanna go back and forth on this again. You think bunting is impossible to execute, I get it.

Because bunting is so easy? There must be a reason he hasn't that's all I'm saying..

And don't assume Avila would move a runner over. This isn't about him beating one out but actually getting a bunt down..

Last edited:
Harrison moving from 3rd to short
Nix replaces Mercer, Nix will play 3rd, batting 7th
Brandon Cumpton in for Liriano

Avila hits a high fly to right center, Marte under it...1 out

Suarez hits a fly ball to right, Polanco under it...2 out

Davis lines out to Martinez at 2nd...3 out

Tigers up 2-0 after 7

I can certainly agree that bunting needs to become a part of the normal routine for any player that has the shift on when he bats.

Even Ortiz? I think teams would beg him to bunt..

It depends on the situation. Who is on base, where is the game being played, etc. Ortiz still fails the majority of the time, as good as he is as a dh. That's just the way baseball stacks up. A few successful bunts from Ortiz with men on base against the shift would change the way the shift is implemented.

Last edited:
Nix hits a fly ball to center, Davis under it...1 out

Stewart Ks on 3 pitches...2 out

Martinez falls behind 1-2 but draws a walk on 3 straight balls...1 on, 2 out

Polanco grounds it to 2nd, Kinsler fields it, spins, throws and gets him at 1st...3 out

Tigers up 2-0 after 7.5

Max @ 121 pitches w/ 14 Ks

Back