Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 122 Tigers vs. mariners August 17, 2014

At least Don Freakin' Kelly's in the game for us now...

So we still have a chance...

Detroit, where RP's come to suck.

Johnson sucked before he got here. Plus he was not exactly good in Toledo, which is why putting him on the 40-man roster and then the 25 man was really a stupid move. Why didn't we give Mercedes a longer look than 2 fucking innings?

Speaking of Jim Johnson's Tigers Debut:

nigeria-tanker-explosion-rivers-state-afp-pix-pius-utomi-ekpei.jpg

Maybe DD will turn on his MLB package tonight and watch the Washington and Pittsburgh game so he can watch Doug Fister and his
(12-3, 2.34 ERA) record.... Man what a whiff of a Deal DD made in this one... I am really curious what was going through his head and I bet the GM for Washington was chomping at the bit to get that fleece of a deal done before DD asked for more or pulled it back......

Last edited:
Down 7, I think I'll just thank Kelly for sucking and ending this quickly rather than curse him out like usual.

Maybe DD will turn on his MLB package tonight and watch the Washington and Pittsburgh game so he can watch Doug Fister and his
(12-3, 2.34 ERA) record.... Man what a whiff of a Deal DD made in this one... I am really curious what was going through his head and I bet the GM for Washington was chomping at the bit to get that fleece of a deal done before DD asked for more or pulled it back......

fister trade has no bearing on today. If we still had him, he would have pitched yesterday, we wouldnt have price, and it would have just been another AAA scrub pitching today instead of Ray to replace Sanchez being on the DL.

Im goddamn tired of hearing about the fister trade every damn day. It was a shitty ass trade, and I hate it too, but theres nothing we can do about it and it isnt affecting the day to day suckiness of the team whatsoever. Its not like Ray even pitched that badly, 3 earned runs in 5 innings isnt terrible. The offense, defense, and bullpen shit the bed today. There was ZERO FUCKING EXCUSE for the offense to get shut out by Young over 6 innings, he's a fucking terrible pitcher.

Last edited:
fister trade has no bearing on today. If we still had him, he would have pitched yesterday, we wouldnt have price, and it would have just been another AAA scrub pitching today instead of Ray to replace Sanchez being on the DL.

Im goddamn tired of hearing about the fister trade every damn day. It was a shitty ass trade, and I hate it too, but theres nothing we can do about it and it isnt affecting the day to day suckiness of the team whatsoever. Its not like Ray even pitched that badly, 3 earned runs in 5 innings isnt terrible. The offense, defense, and bullpen shit the bed today.

I disagree completely... If the Tigers fail to make the playoffs you can point back to this fleecing as the domino that stared it all. Just my opinion. So your saying you would rather have Ray go either yesterday or today instead of either Price or Fister... Who says DD would still not gone after Price after what Oakland did? The biggest frustration is DD failed to add a bat at the deadline acting like others on here like his hitting was really good... I really isn't that good...

Last edited:
Trust me I hope Fister gets shelled... Sorry But the window is closing fast for this team.. If Ray can't help them win now who cares what he does in 3 years when we are back in third or fourth place...

I disagree completely... If the Tigers fail to make the playoffs you can point back to this fleecing as the domino that stared it all. Just my opinion. So your saying you would rather have Ray go either yesterday or today instead of either Price or Fister... Who says DD would still not gone after Price after what Oakland did? The biggest frustration is DD failed to add a bat at the deadline acting like others on here like his hitting was really good... I really isn't that good...

What the hell are you talking about? Im saying if we still had Fister, we wouldnt have Price, and that Fister would have started yesterday, still leaving us needing a AAA pitcher today since Sanchez is on the DL. Theres a chance we still go after Price, but only if we had still traded another starter away in the offseason, which still leaves us in the same spot: Ray or another scrub starting today.

And the Fister trade had no impact on other moves, except MAYBE clearing some money, in which case DD just made stupid signings like Nathan instead of being smart and signing more relievers for less each. The fister trade has no bearing on DD making the wrong decisions later. He made those because he's a moron when it comes to building a bullpen. Thats a separate issue altogether.

I'm so glad that Mr. rookie suck batted 2nd today.

It wasnt a good idea, but he'd get lynched if he hit any of the batters 2nd today that he actually should have (Miggy, VMart, or Avila.) Kinsler blowing goats right now isnt helping at all either. He's got a .527 OPS since the break and is 3 for his last 22 this week. You're not going to score runs when the guys in front of the best hitters arent getting on base at all.

Last edited:
Johnson sucked before he got here. Plus he was not exactly good in Toledo, which is why putting him on the 40-man roster and then the 25 man was really a stupid move. Why didn't we give Mercedes a longer look than 2 fucking innings?
He wasn't bad in Toledo. They actually were gonna bring him up instead of Mercedes in the first place, but he asked to get one more appearance in Toledo. What's more likely to happen this season, Johnson rediscovering his control that made him a great closer the last couple years or Mercedes being able to do in the majors what he couldn't really do in Toledo?

JV, Max, Sanchez, Fister, Rick

or

JV, Max, Sanchez, Price, Rick

What would you rather have?

What the hell are you talking about? Im saying if we still had Fister, we wouldnt have Price, and that Fister would have started yesterday, still leaving us needing a AAA pitcher today since Sanchez is on the DL. Theres a chance we still go after Price, but only if we had still traded another starter away in the offseason, which still leaves us in the same spot: Ray or another scrub starting today.

And the Fister trade had no impact on other moves, except MAYBE clearing some money, in which case DD just made stupid signings like Nathan instead of being smart and signing more relievers for less each. The fister trade has no bearing on DD making the wrong decisions later. He made those because he's a moron when it comes to building a bullpen. Thats a separate issue altogether.

Well your probably right but still I would rather have Jackson, Fister, smyly, and benoit over Nathan, and Price... That whole deal has doomed the franchise so far this year.. Still time to win the division but this team is terrible now...

He wasn't bad in Toledo. They actually were gonna bring him up instead of Mercedes in the first place, but he asked to get one more appearance in Toledo. What's more likely to happen this season, Johnson rediscovering his control that made him a great closer the last couple years or Mercedes being able to do in the majors what he couldn't really do in Toledo?

4.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1BB, 2K, 1 error, 3.86 ERA, 1.071 WHIP

I don't get what's not bad about it?

The fact is he should have gotten more time before being added to the roster, because the small sample he put up there was not good at all.

And I'm not saying Mercedes is anything special, but they called him up why not kick the tires on him just as much as Johnson? It's just poor roster management.

Well your probably right but still I would rather have Jackson, Fister, smyly, and benoit over Nathan, and Price... That whole deal has doomed the franchise so far this year.. Still time to win the division but this team is terrible now...

The choices shouldnt have to be between those two groups. Again, you cant tie the fister trade to the signings DD made afterwards. A starter was going to get traded this offseason. It was going to happen. But it had NO bearing on DD making stupid bullpen moves afterwards.

It wasnt a good idea, but he'd get lynched if he hit any of the batters 2nd today that he actually should have (Miggy, VMart, or Avila.) Kinsler blowing goats right now isnt helping at all either. He's got a .527 OPS since the break and is 3 for his last 22 this week. You're not going to score runs when the guys in front of the best hitters arent getting on base at all.

That's a fair assessment.

Back