Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Vote for the Top four Players in Detroit Tigers Franchise History.

Voted 4 Miggy, Kaline, Greenberg and Cobb. Pretty easy IMO. 10 times.

Last edited:
I picked Cobb, Kaline, Greenberg, and Gehringer. Tigers History with these 4 Greats.
They have close to 80 seasons together and only 3 of those seasons were with other teams.

I love Miggy, he just needs 10 years as a Tiger for me to have him take the Tiger's great Second Baseman's place.

I picked Cobb, Kaline, Greenberg, and Gehringer. Tigers History with these 4 Greats.
They have close to 80 seasons together and only 3 of those seasons were with other teams.

I love Miggy, he just needs 10 years as a Tiger for me to have him take the Tiger's great Second Baseman's place.

That's a good point and I almost chose the Mechanical Man myself. In retrospect I think I over-looked all those years from Charlie compared to Miggy's shorter career as a Tiger.

I couldn't find his name....so I wrote in Brandon Inge.

Last edited:
That's a tough group to narrow to four. I'm inclined to go Cobb, Cabrera, Greenberg, and Gehringer on stats alone, but leaving Kaline off that list just doesn't feel right.

Miggy goes to the HoF as a Tiger. I'm not holding his not having been a Tiger for 10 years against him.

Cobb, Cabrerra, Heilmann, Greenberg

Everyone loves Kaline but he doesn't make the cut for me. Greenberg retired early so his numbers would have declined but 1.017 career OPS is just amazing. Heilman's numbers are staggering as well, .993 OPS at 37 and then calls it quits?

Cobb, Charlie G. Greenberg ,and Kaline.. Soon to be replaced by Miggy. Honorable mention Newhouser, Tram, Morris, and sweet lou.. Probably Harry Heilman, Sam Crawford, and Verlander also.

Last edited:
Cobb, Charlie G. Greenberg ,and Kaline.. Soon to be replaced by Miggy. Honorable mention Newhouser, Tram, Morris, and sweet lou.. Probably Harry Heilman, Sam Crawford, and Verlander also.
Pretty amazing that through the storied history of this franchise we haven't had a dominant started with longevity. Lolich is the closest

I've seen and posted at least two other of these 4 player 'Mount Rushmores' for the Tigers and other teams. For teams that have been around for over 100 years it is difficult to put just four in. More like 8 or 10 would make it easier, but then too as you pick, it boils down to favorites.

Bob pretty much has the Tigers players who would fill that size of a Mount Rushmore of Tigers greats.

Franchise Four Balloting has officially closed.
Players from each group receiving the most votes will be revealed on July 14 at the All-Star Game.

Cobb, Kaline, Greenberg, Miggy. Followed by Gehringer and then everyone else.

The winning Tigers were....no surprise....Miggy, Cobb, Greenberg and Kaline.

Greatest Living Players

Hank Aaron
Johnny Bench
Sandy Koufax
Willie Mays

Greatest Negro Leagues Players

Cool Papa Bell
Josh Gibson
Buck O'Neil
Satchel Paige

Greatest Pioneers

Walter Johnson
Nap Lajoie
Christy Mathewson
Cy Young

All team winners listed inside.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/136694204/greatest-living-players-franchise-fours-named

Those are the 4 I voted 4, seemed obvious. Covers all different area's..

Back