Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Does Ausmus survive?

I think people are in love with his slightly above .500 record and being 6-21 in the post-season. Those records speak for themselves.

I agree, Gardenhire would be terrible. Though I think he would be better than who we will actually get if Ausmus is let go mid-season. Gibson. *shudder*

Jeff Jones is a waste of skin. Maybe the worst pitching coach I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Talk about walking into a good situation damn anyone with a pulse could have been the pitching coach during the time he came to Detroit. A good JV, Max, Anibal, Price, Fister , Smiley and Ricky P all pitching in a big ball park half their games.

If I could T - Bag one person on this planet it would be that terd Jeff Jones.

Is there anyway we could lure Dave Duncan to come to Detroit?

While I dont agree that Jeff Jones is the worst pitching coach ive ever seen (or even currently), this rant made me LOL...especially the T-bag part.

I agree, Gardenhire would be terrible. Though I think he would be better than who we will actually get if Ausmus is let go mid-season. Gibson. *shudder*
Maybe a few years back, but Gibby ain't managing again now that he got his Parkinson's diagnosis. Travel is an issue for him, as are stressful situations, reactive speech, etc. He'll likely ride it out for the occasional booth appearances this year before stepping back out of the spotlight more and more as time goes on.

If Brad were let go now, Gene Lamont would probably get named interim manager.

Last edited:
I can't imagine Brad being let go until after the season. It's not like we're very close to winning and firing him will ignite some spark and all of the sudden we can pitch really well. My guess is they let him finish the season. Then Ausmus will be let go and DD won't be brought back either. Then the new GM will choose his guy.

I have no idea about GM's....who the heck would become the next GM? That's the question that needs to be answered. Then we can figure out who he has close ties with, etc.

Tigers being a conservative team and front office, I don't see them dumping Ausmus unless they went on a 2 and 8 or 1 and 9 road trip.
If that happened, fat daddy lamont would ride it out.

and if, hopefully ausmus is let go at the end of the season, they will probably go back to a seasoned/veteran manager for the club, imo.

You would think that Al Avila the Assistant GM would get DD's position, but the problem that no one knows is what is going on with Mr. Ilitch? He is more of a recluse, no one knows his health, physical or mental...dementia?? who knows. and in recent weeks a few blips about a son running the team more than before. With that, it sounds like the son doesn't have the passion for the Tigers that Mr. I has had. This could also be a reason we have heard a couple of blips about maybe selling the team...who knows.

I don't want any part of Ausmus next year period.

Tigers being a conservative team and front office, I don't see them dumping Ausmus unless they went on a 2 and 8 or 1 and 9 road trip.
If that happened, fat daddy lamont would ride it out.

and if, hopefully ausmus is let go at the end of the season, they will probably go back to a seasoned/veteran manager for the club, imo.

You would think that Al Avila the Assistant GM would get DD's position, but the problem that no one knows is what is going on with Mr. Ilitch? He is more of a recluse, no one knows his health, physical or mental...dementia?? who knows. and in recent weeks a few blips about a son running the team more than before. With that, it sounds like the son doesn't have the passion for the Tigers that Mr. I has had. This could also be a reason we have heard a couple of blips about maybe selling the team...who knows.

I don't want any part of Ausmus next year period.
I think Mr. I may have had cancer within the past few years. I recall him acknowledging health issues in an interview a year or two ago, but said that he was past that and feeling better again. There weren't any specifics on what was wrong with him that I can recollect. I do think dementia is also a possibility given how aloof and odd his voice, comments, and behavior became in his more recent public appearances.

I think DD is a good GM and would have no issue with him coming back. I'd also understand it if they thought a change was needed. Like you, I don't know who is out there GM-wise or really what improvement could be made there.

I don't want Ausmus back. Didn't really like the hire when we made it, and haven't seen a damn thing out of him to make me think he's worth keeping. Instead, I've seen his inexperience show regularly, the teams underperform, and watched him manage us out of several games a year. I agree with your line of thinking that they'll go back to a salty vet if they can Brad.

I think people are in love with his slightly above .500 record and being 6-21 in the post-season. Those records speak for themselves.

have you seen the payroll he had to work with? he did wonders with peanuts.

have you seen the payroll he had to work with? he did wonders with peanuts.

He didn't have to work with any of it, the payroll was all GM. He had to work with it. And the GM did well..

But Gardenhire had some very good talent..

I wonder if the Tigers would ever entertain Ozzie Guillen as a candidate. I believe Miggy loves the guy, and I know he's hungry to get back into managing. He's such a loose cannon though.

I wonder if the Tigers would ever entertain Ozzie Guillen as a candidate. I believe Miggy loves the guy, and I know he's hungry to get back into managing. He's such a loose cannon though.

Do not see the blend with Ozzie and the Ilitch family.

I don't want Ozzie Guillen any where near the Tigers. Not even as a coach. If anyone, promote Omar Vizquel before hiring Ozzie.

I was trying to be tactful. That said: I'd rather see Rod Allen manage this team over Oxxie.

I was trying to be tactful. That said: I'd rather see Rod Allen manage this team over Oxxie.

I would have myself committed if Rod Allen was manager of this team. I wouldn't be able to take it.

Back