Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

buyers or sellers?

I agree with Reb on most of what he's said on this. I'd just like to add to the people that want to resign Price. If he is traded to a contender for whatever the return we'd get, it doesn't mean we couldn't still sign him after the season if there is mutual interest.

A starting 3B, about 2x Starting Pitchers, about 3x relievers and especially a LH bat of some sort. And that is just to get to the 1-game Playoff Game.

So you just assume they only get 1 game?

I just have a feeling I rather get a 1st round pick and a comp. over what we'd get in a trade.

I just have a feeling I rather get a 1st round pick and a comp. over what we'd get in a trade.
You trust this organization with a top 40 pick over a top 50 Prospect in another organization?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

so what if we lost 200 million since 1992 when Illitch bought the team, the team is worth over 10 times the amount he bought the team for. The guy is rich as hell and doesn't care what it cost to bring a winner here.You keep showing me the useless stats, and I'll show you how the Tigers are not gonna trade Price for a measly few million.If they did sell Price, what kind of pitching staff do we have for next year? I think we keep him and try to buy someone if the price is right, preferably a 3rd basemen and a couple of bullpen pitchers.
Oh he certainly cares where the payroll stands. There is a reason they have went right up to and not over the Luxury tax the last 3 seasons. He does not want to start pissing away 40 and 50 million dollars a year like the Yankees and Dodgers do

You trust this organization with a top 40 pick over a top 50 Prospect in another organization?

Nope. I also don't trust them getting good future players back. As I said before I'm not sure what I want them to do..plus only 3.5 have back of a playoff spot so it's a tough one.

I agree with Reb on most of what he's said on this. I'd just like to add to the people that want to resign Price. If he is traded to a contender for whatever the return we'd get, it doesn't mean we couldn't still sign him after the season if there is mutual interest.

This is a good point. Price is going to be a FA any way you slice it, whether we keep him or trade him this season.

So the question becomes is it worth it to hang on to him as is for another 80 or so games, or try to maximize his value by getting something back so another team can rent him for 80 games?

Because either way come November, he gone.

I'm really surprised that there isn't more trade activity over the AS break.

Usually doesn't pick up until the last few days..If Price gets scratched from a start we'll know..

I know...but you would think with 5 days off there would be some activity. There are certainly teams that are already out of it.

Mitch...MLB revised the compensation for losing a Free Agent a couple of years ago.

Teams that sign free agents who turned down qualifying offers must then forfeit their first available pick in the next MLB draft. The forfeited picks don't go to other MLB teams; rather, the rounds just become condensed. The player's former team obtains one compensatory selection at the end of the first round, even if the team sacrificing a pick gave up a pick later than a first.
The first 10 picks in the draft are protected, with clubs selecting in the top 10 of the draft surrendering their second-highest selections instead. If a team signs two free agents who rejected qualifying offers, then that team loses its top two eligible picks, and so on.

BLUF....DET only gets 1 pick for Price. They have to give him a qualifying offer and he must turn it down. If the team that signs him is in the Top 10 in draft order, then the comp pick is still at the end of the first round, but the team doesn't lose their pick.

The 2nd point to bring up...

Only players who played the entire previous season with the same club can be extended a qualifying offer.

This means any team trading for Price does no get the ability to make a qualifying offer to him at the end of the season, thus getting a pick for him if he walks.

Last edited:
Mitch...MLB revised the compensation for losing a Free Agent a couple of years ago.

Teams that sign free agents who turned down qualifying offers must then forfeit their first available pick in the next MLB draft. The forfeited picks don't go to other MLB teams; rather, the rounds just become condensed. The player's former team obtains one compensatory selection at the end of the first round, even if the team sacrificing a pick gave up a pick later than a first.
The first 10 picks in the draft are protected, with clubs selecting in the top 10 of the draft surrendering their second-highest selections instead. If a team signs two free agents who rejected qualifying offers, then that team loses its top two eligible picks, and so on.

BLUF....DET only gets 1 pick for Price. They have to give him a qualifying offer and he must turn it down. If the team that signs him is in the Top 10 in draft order, then the comp pick is still at the end of the first round, but the team doesn't lose their pick.

Only players who played the entire previous season with the same club can be extended a qualifying offer.

This means any team trading for Price does no get the ability to make a qualifying offer to him at the end of the season, thus getting a pick for him if he walks.

Tampa got as much value out of Price as there is last year. His value now is a 3 month rental. Really the Tigers have little to offer. Cespedes isn't much better.
Should they want to win soon they better et it done this season, b/c, they'll not get very much for there FA's. Price & Cespedes r the only ones worth a offer to extend for the money. Tigers are really between a rock and a hard spot!

Tampa got as much value out of Price as there is last year. His value now is a 3 month rental. Really the Tigers have little to offer. Cespedes isn't much better.
Should they want to win soon they better et it done this season, b/c, they'll not get very much for there FA's. Price & Cespedes r the only ones worth a offer to extend for the money. Tigers are really between a rock and a hard spot!

A 3 month rental of one of the top SP in baseball. To a team with a legitimate shot at winning a WS, that is far from "little to offer". Same for Cespedes, a team might really want that bat for 3 months, Boston did.

I think a lot of Tigers fans look at that Trade and think the Rays didnt get much, then go on to think we would get even less for him this year.

If you really look at the Trade the Rays got 2 top 100 Prospects (Franklin/Adames) and a young cost controlled arm they view as a future #2 or 3 starter.

I dont think its crazy to think at the very least you could get a top 50 prospect thats close to the majors and another piece to help out of the pen next year

Okay, thanks.

I think a lot of Tigers fans look at that Trade and think the Rays didnt get much, then go on to think we would get even less for him this year.

If you really look at the Trade the Rays got 2 top 100 Prospects (Franklin/Adames) and a young cost controlled arm they view as a future #2 or 3 starter.

I dont think its crazy to think at the very least you could get a top 50 prospect thats close to the majors and another piece to help out of the pen next year

It's the way it works when you're going for a title.

I would trade any of them outside of Miggy. We have to get something for Price and Cespedes. I think Price would be perfect in Chicago (Cubs) or the Dodgers and we should get a real good prospect for him. Once it is known he is available it will be crazy. Cespedes can be a huge piece as well. We are not going to be buyers, to think that is insane because we don't have anything to give. Soria could be interesting to move. I would trade Casty and Kinsler in a second.

I guess the Dodgers could throw Price into their rotation in place of Frias but that's already one good pitching staff.

I would trade any of them outside of Miggy. We have to get something for Price and Cespedes. I think Price would be perfect in Chicago (Cubs) or the Dodgers and we should get a real good prospect for him. Once it is known he is available it will be crazy. Cespedes can be a huge piece as well. We are not going to be buyers, to think that is insane because we don't have anything to give. Soria could be interesting to move. I would trade Casty and Kinsler in a second.

I would trade Miggy for the right package of ML players + a few prospects.

Back