Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Orioles @ Tigers 7-17-15 Game #89

manchild98

TIGERS (44-44):

Kinsler 2B
Cespedes LF
VMart DH
JD RF
Castellanos 3B
Avila 1B
McCann C
Iggy SS
Gose CF

Sanchez P Season: 8-7, 4.63 era (1.18 whip), Lifetime against the Orioles 1-0, 4.35 era

Orioles (44-44):

Machado 3B
Paredes DH
Jones CF
Davis RF
Wieters C
Hardy SS
Snider LF
Schoop 2B
Parmalee 1B

Jimenez P Season: 7-4, 2.81 era (1.27 whip), Lifetime against the Tigers 5-9, 4.93 era

The Tigers sit in 3rd place in the AL Central and are 9 games back of the division leading Royals (only 2 games ahead of last place in the Central) and 3.5 games back of the last wild card spot. Even if the Royals posted a .500 record in the 2nd half of the season to finish at 90-72, the Tigers would need to go 47-27 to finish with 91 wins and win the division…and also hope the Twins don’t play above .500 baseball.

First game back from the all-star break and the .500 Tigers face the .500 O’s. Both teams welcomed the all-star break since they were both playing losing baseball. The Orioles are 3-10 and the Tigers are 5-8 in their last 13 games. The Tigers are just 22-23 at home the O’s are 17-26 on the road.

Sanchez gets the start over Price because apparently Brad didn’t want Sanchez sitting any longer. He last pitched on July 8th. Sanchez is 5-0 with a 2.85 era in his last 6 starts.

Jimenez has pitched very well for the O’s this year. He hasn’t been quite as good on the road as he’s been at home, but he’s still 2-3 with a 3.51 era in 10 road starts. His last 3 starts have been excellent. He’s gone 20 innings, given up 17 hits and just 1 run in those 3 starts. He’s given up just 12 runs in his past 8 starts. Jimenez is 2-7 with a 6.80 era in 9 starts at Comerica.

Current Tigers are hitting .247 (23 for 93) with 5 home run’s against Jimenez. VMart is 8 for 24 with 3 home runs and Cespedes is 3 for 7 with a home run.

The O’s are just 8 for 41 (.195) against Sanchez. Parmalee is the only O player with more than 6 AB’s. He is 1 for 13. Wieters is 1 for 3 with the only home run.

Orioles bullpen ranks 3rd in the AL with a 2.90 era.

Dixon Machado has been called up from Triple A Toledo and Marc Krauss has been placed on the paternity leave list.

Tonight's forecast for Detroit calls for partly cloudy skies and a chance for late afternoon storms but should clear up by game time. Temperatures are expected to reach 86 degrees around first pitch.

Last edited:
So, who's rooting for the Tigers and who's not? Make a run, get some youth?

Is it time for second half baseball already. hmmmm to watch the tigers or not to watch the tigers. That is the question..Well.. i'll watch tonight at least to see if they get off to a good second half start. DD keeps suggesting the first 10-11 games here will determine our fate. KC has already taken the first of two in Chicago today so already dropped back another .5 before we even got started tonight. sigh..but the div crown is already lost and we're aiming for a WC now right.

right..

Last edited:
So, who's rooting for the Tigers and who's not? Make a run, get some youth?

I'm torn. Obviously I'd like to make the playoffs but it looks like the only possibility is to get the wild card game. And even if we win I don't think we have enough pitching to make a run....really it would just be a repeat of last year.

So I think we need to take our medicine this year and at least use Price to get something in return. We still have too many holes on this team. Price isn't going to sign with us next year so I think we have to be sellers. Cespedes may have to go as well, etc. But this might be our only chance to stock the cupboard with something more than a can of spam. Not sure what we'll get in return but I hope DD can pull off some magic.

Is it time for second half baseball already. hmmmm to watch the tigers or not to watch the tigers. That is the question..Well.. i'll watch tonight at least to see if they get off to a good second half start. DD keeps suggesting the first 10-11 games here will determine our fate. KC has already taken the first of two in Chicago today so already dropped back another .5 before we even got started tonight. sigh..but the div crown is already lost and we're aiming for a WC now right.

right..

Shot Heard 'Round The World, 13.5 games. It can happen..

I'm torn. Obviously I'd like to make the playoffs but it looks like the only possibility is to get the wild card game. And even if we win I don't think we have enough pitching to make a run....really it would just be a repeat of last year.

So I think we need to take our medicine this year and at least use Price to get something in return. We still have too many holes on this team. Price isn't going to sign with us next year so I think we have to be sellers. Cespedes may have to go as well, etc. But this might be our only chance to stock the cupboard with something more than a can of spam. Not sure what we'll get in return but I hope DD can pull off some magic.

I hear ya..I hate rooting against so I'll just watch and see what happens.

I am rooting for them to win because I don't think DD & Mr. I will sell regardless. Might as well win!

I am rooting for them to win because I don't think DD & Mr. I will sell regardless. Might as well win!

True. And another thing that may happen is DD tries to sell but doesn't find a good enough deal. But I'm sure he'll be very busy over the next 2 weeks.

Sanchez couldn't work his way out of the 1st and 3rd no out jam. Gives up a 2 out single. 2-1.

2 out rally. Iggy HBP, steals 2nd, Gose ground rule double. 3-1. Gose with an 11 game hit streak.

Last edited:
Great Catch JD Martinez!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looked like Big Al bringing that ball back!!

Sanchez keeps getting into trouble. 2nd and 3rd no outs.

Last edited:
Back