Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mariners @ Tigers 7-22-15 Game #94

Hey-Seuss fuck...that all said...two on with no outs already in the 9th? Can't shit ever be just fuckin' easy?

Last edited:
And now Soria gets to get 4 outs in a 5 run game and we have a 1pm game tomorrow.

Poor move on brads part tonight to do that...Al should have been allowed to face more than one hitter yesterday and today..soria has not been great lately and win or lose it was the wrong move

Is this even a save situation? Did bringing Soria in in the eight with a four run lead make it a save situation?

I can't help but think the only reason Brad brought in soria tonight for a four out save still up by four was because some reporter in last nights post game asked him if it was considered yesterday so tonight he decides ok l do that? Wtf

The guy just doesn't seem like he's really sure wtf he wants to do and let's second guessing mange for him, that generally isn't the best way to go

Last edited:
Anyway, a Tiger win...I tried to find (it was a while back) historic percentages of how often a team wins if a player on the team hits a grand slam (it was an internet search...I could only find World Series stats; but there was enough data, and random enough, I think, to be able to extrapolate it across the broad study section)...

What I found is like, 90%.

When someone on the team hits a grand slam, that team wins 90% of the time.

Which, prima face, makes sense.

As reported in the team notes thread tonight from KC rumor Tigers will wait till Sunday to decide

http://motorcitybengals.com/2015/07...ors-buyers-or-sellers-verdict-to-come-sunday/

If so I think they better go ahead and win the next three..haven't won more than 3 in a row since the first week that has to stop right here and now..get on that roll now or never...I'm not optimistic about it..offense has been holding up there end pitching outside of price hasn't been, the 3,4,5 and rondon have been killing us

Last edited:
STREAKS AND STATS:

The Tigers are batting .295 with 31 doubles, 27 HR, and 87 RBI in July, which leads the American League. J.D. Martinez accounts for seven of those home runs.

Ian Kinsler is batting .362 since the start of July with six doubles, three home runs, and 11 RBI.

Cespedes's walk in the first gave him a walk in back-to-back games after going through 33 games without a walk. The last time he walked in consecutive games was on June 9-10. He also back-to-back walks on May 20-21 and drew walks in three straight games on May 25-27 this year.

Since June 9 when he finished 0-for-4, Victor Martinez has cooled off following his return from the DL when he started out hot. Martinez is batting just .229 in last 10 games and has eight hits, one double, three home runs, and five RBI.

Nick Castellanos hit the first grand slam of his career in the third, a monster moonshot that bounced off the left-center field brick walls. The estimated distance traveled was 447 feet, according to Statcast, and the ball left his bat at 112 mph.

J.D. Martinez cut down Seth Smith at second with his 11th assist of the season, second-most in MLB. Only the Rangers' outfielder Leonis Martin has more, with 12. Martinez's 11 outfield assists this season are the most by a Tigers outfielder since Craig Monroe had 12 in 2006.

The eight runs scored by Detroit in the third were the most in an inning this season, and the most since they scored eight in the fifth inning on July 10, 2014 at Kansas City against the Royals.

The Tigers and the Mariners have allowed the second-most and the most home runs by a starter, respectively, this season. Incidentally, the Tigers also lead the majors in home runs hit this year, with 28.

Anibal Sanchez allowed two home runs in the game, both off Nelson Cruz. The home runs matched, and then set a new career-high homers allowed by Sanchez.
Nelson Cruz has three multi-homer games against the Tigers in his career, including one in the 2011 postseason.

Joakim Soria recorded the 200th save of his career tonight.

Back