Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mariners @ Tigers 7-23-15 Game #95

manchild98

TIGERS (47-47):

Kinsler 2B
Cespedes LF
VMart DH
JD RF
Castellanos 3B
Krauss 1B
McCann C
Iggy SS
Gose CF

Price P Season: 9-3, 2.32 era (1.11 whip), Lifetime against the Mariners 2-1, 2.53 era

MARINERS (43-52):

Jackson CF
Seager 3B
Cruz DH
Cano 2B
Gutierrez LF
Trumbo RF
Morrison 1B
Taylor SS
Sucre C

Iwakuma P Season: 2-1, 4.89 era (1.17 whip), Lifetime against the Tigers 1-1, 3.54 era

Can the Tiger offense continue to score runs? Can the Tigers win a series? The Mariners have a 9-21 record in the final game of a series this year. The Tigers are 10.5 games back of the 1st place Royals and 3 games back of the Twins for the last wild card spot.

Price is 3-2 with a 3.10 era in 9 home starts. He was great in his last home start against the O?s but took the loss even though he only gave up 1 run and struck out 12 in 7 innings, The Tigers could only muster up 1 hit on offense. He is 6-2 with a 1.59 era in his last 11 starts. Lefties are hitting .269 and righties .234. The Tigers are 15-4 when Price takes the mound this season.

Iwakuma got a no decision against the Tigers in his 1st start back from the DL back on July 6th. He went 5 innings and gave up 8 hits, 5 runs and 4 home runs. Seattle lost 12-5. He?s been much better in his last 2 starts. He?s won both starts while throwing a combined 13.2 innings and giving up 8 hits and only 2 runs.

The Tigers are hitting .317 (38 for 120) with 7 doubles and 13 home runs against Iwakuma. Cespedes is 11 for 27 with 4 homers, Kinsler is 9 for 26 with 3 homers, VMart is 5 for 9 with 2 homers, Nick is 3 for 5 with a homer and Avila is 0 for 11.

The Mariners are hitting .240 (46 for 192) with 11 doubles and 4 home runs against Price. Cruz is 7 for 19 with 2 homers. Trumbo is 6 for 16 with a homer and Cano is 18 for 67 with 1 home run. Zunino is 1 for 10 with 9 k?s and he?ll start the day on the bench.

The forecast today is temps in the lower 80?s with a possibility of rain but not until late in the afternoon.

Good start for Price. He's retired one of the two batters he's faced so far. I think Price should put one off Cruz's nose on general principles.

Last edited:
I guess the A's Kazmir was traded to Houston so maybe we'll start seeing some deals go down.

"Art of Pitching" ... over/under was batter #6 and (Jim) Price was under.

Last edited:
VMart with a double to deep right center that plates Kinsler and Cespedes. 2-1.

Last edited:
Good OF's are replaying scenarios in their mind before they happen. When you don't, you get indecision and gaffes like that ... it's the sort of play that Martinez needs to have already decided what to do in the event it happens. And if that seems far-fetched, it's not.

Good OF's are replaying scenarios in their mind before they happen. When you don't, you get indecision and gaffes like that ... it's the sort of play that Martinez needs to have already decided what to do in the event it happens. And if that seems far-fetched, it's not.

Actually, for a major league outfielder I guess I would have thought that would go without saying.

My first day of fielding practice on my first elementary school age baseball team, the coach told to ask ourselves "what am I going to do if the ball is hit to me...?" right before every pitch - or at least every time a hitter came to the plate, or if circumstances on the base paths changed during an at bat.

He didn't tell us to prepare to make the decision on short hops in the outfield in advance; but, still, at the major league baseball, you'd think a person would be thinking all of that through.

Price does what he always does...gives us a chance to win. This is the 15th time this season he has given up 2 runs or less. He has 114 pitches after 8 innings. Not sure if he'll come back out for the 9th if this thing is still tied after this half inning....probably not. Although Soria threw 30 pitches yesterday even though we had a 5 run lead.

Last edited:
Actually, for a major league outfielder I guess I would have thought that would go without saying.

My first day of fielding practice on my first elementary school age baseball team, the coach told to ask ourselves "what am I going to do if the ball is hit to me...?" right before every pitch - or at least every time a hitter came to the plate, or if circumstances on the base paths changed during an at bat.

He didn't tell us to prepare to make the decision on short hops in the outfield in advance; but, still, at the major league baseball, you'd think a person would be thinking all of that through.

I was doing that when I was playing HS and American Legion Ball. It's just a total inventory that you are actively reviewing.

Back