Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

B1G Championship Game vs Iowa

I?m worried. Every fan (not on this board) seems to think is going to be easy Saturday and Iowa is going to roll over. We better be ready because Iowa does have a good defense. Damn I hope we can get a lead on them and force them away from running the ball.

I watched some of the Iowa comeback against Nebraska. They like throwing to the backs out of the backfield and they like using the fullback and I am Worried about delay handoffs. That center they have is really good.

Iowa's defense is really good even if they've had an abnormal amount of turnover luck and have faced a good amount of backup QBs.

I know we should win this game, but we've scored 23 total points in the two games we've played against Iowa during the Harbaugh era. We can't come out and have another wet dog fart offensive performance against them.

Iowa's defense is really good even if they've had an abnormal amount of turnover luck and have faced a good amount of backup QBs.

I know we should win this game, but we've scored 23 total points in the two games we've played against Iowa during the Harbaugh era. We can't come out and have another wet dog fart offensive performance against them.

Ya, well their offense is terrible and they've scored 15 total points against Jim's teams in 2 games. They don't have Kinnick voodoo and it's not Shea Patterson playing QB. And for as good as their defense is statistically, they HAVE played multiple backup QBs and they were losing by 2 scores to Nebraska's backup qb Sunday.

I don't see how they score 14 points. I'm trying but I just don't see it. Their offense is dreadful. Terrible. Awful.

They mentioned during O$U game that UM has been vulnerable to screens. Iowa might take advantage of that, letting Hutch and Ojabo attack themselves out of position to make plays.

I also dislike that the D struggled in stopping 3rd and long and 4th down again.

UM has vulnerabilities. Hopefully they minimize them and make big plays.

We lead the nation in tackles-for-loss allowed and are 4th in sacks allowed...

Iowa's defense is worse than OSU's in both of those categories.

And even if they do manage to stifle our offense for long stretches of the game, I have faith that our defense will keep theirs from doing anything all day long.

of course, statistics go out the window in championships... or is that only during rivalry games?

Ya, well their offense is terrible and they've scored 15 total points against Jim's teams in 2 games. They don't have Kinnick voodoo and it's not Shea Patterson playing QB. And for as good as their defense is statistically, they HAVE played multiple backup QBs and they were losing by 2 scores to Nebraska's backup qb Sunday.

I don't see how they score 14 points. I'm trying but I just don't see it. Their offense is dreadful. Terrible. Awful.

They've scored 17, which is still completely terrible. My point is that we have to be good on offense so it's not a tight game where a bad, late turnover can end up causing us to lose. Play solid on offense and bury them because their offense can't keep up.

IOWA PF 308 PA 207
PSU PF 315 PA 201

They are basically Penn State this year.....a team we squeaked by. Ill be pleasantly surprised if we beat this team handedly like we should.

Last edited:
I'm all for taking the OSU approach in this game. Just drop 21 on them in the first quarter and let them deal with Hutch and Ojabo for 45 minutes.

In regards to OSU, I really think their rush D stats were inflated simply because teams never had the option to run against them when they were behind by 3 scores after 10 minutes. I do think Iowa is overall a better defense. I think Wisconsin is the best defense we've faced all year though and we put 38 on them. Our offense has the ability to score on anybody as long as they execute.

I mean Wisconsin kicked Iowa's ass. Do whatever they did.

drink Leiningkugels til you puke, eat lots of bratwursts & cheese curds, and play "Jump Around" in the 4th Q even though you usually listen to 2000's indie rock bands like Death Cab For Cutie and Fleet Foxes? that's waht the wisconsin people I know do.

We will need Mazi Smith, Hinton, and Jeter to play their best. It's up to those guys to clog the middle and not let Iowa be Iowa.

Just to put this out there, I don't think we have lost a game in the blue uniforms. Fuck, I say keep it going. And if we are the visiting team, keep the blue pants. Haven't lost in those, either, to my recollection.

Just to put this out there, I don't think we have lost a game in the blue uniforms. Fuck, I say keep it going. And if we are the visiting team, keep the blue pants. Haven't lost in those, either, to my recollection.

Zero losses in these. Someone call Nike and have them get their sweatshop sewing!
72eebc905888b580313e2bf18f8a67b0.jpg

Last edited:
Bama beats Georgia by less than 7, Georgia gets in as the 4 seed while Bama is #1.

Cincy and OkSt win by 30+.

UM wins barely after Iowa controls the game but misses a FG from close range that would have won the game.

That is a scenario where UM wins but POSSIBLY is voted out of the playoffs as most consider it a bad/lucky win unworthy of being considered legit despite the W.

Games like that happen. And UM has a storied history of being fucked by committees and voters.

You can claim UM would still be in, all I am saying is that is a risky position and I would be more surprised UM stays in the Playoff than being voted out due to the degree of anti-UM establishment that has been around for decades.

So?Michigan is ranked #2?

It would seem more than improbable for #5 to jump #2 if #2 wins.

Nothing like that has ever happened.

So?Michigan is ranked #2?

It would seem more than improbable for #5 to jump #2 if #2 wins.

Nothing like that has ever happened.

As big a fan of UM football as you are, you know UM has previously been victimized by voters doing something that had - until that moment - never been done before.

Just because something has not been done does not mean it cannot be done when voters are in control.

The best reason I have heard so far as to why it is unlikely is the $$$ UM will bring with it compared to all the other options. But bias and hatred can still outweigh money.

As big a fan of UM football as you are, you know UM has previously been victimized by voters doing something that had - until that moment - never been done before.

Just because something has not been done does not mean it cannot be done when voters are in control.

The best reason I have heard so far as to why it is unlikely is the $$$ UM will bring with it compared to all the other options. But bias and hatred can still outweigh money.

get real. Cincinnati could beat Houston 100-0, and we could beat Iowa 3-2 in 6 OTs and they still wouldn't jump us.

Not really sure where your victim complex comes from... the only time in CFB you could even argue we'd been screwed would be '06. and given that we didn't even win the Big Ten after losing to OSU, that's not really on objective ground.

More often than not, we get slotted into Bowl games better than other Big Ten teams with the same record or a better one. in 2011 MSU finished higher in the conference AND beat us head-to-head, and we STILL went to a better bowl game than they did.

get real. Cincinnati could beat Houston 100-0, and we could beat Iowa 3-2 in 6 OTs and they still wouldn't jump us.

Not really sure where your victim complex comes from... the only time in CFB you could even argue we'd been screwed would be '06. and given that we didn't even win the Big Ten after losing to OSU, that's not really on objective ground.

More often than not, we get slotted into Bowl games better than other Big Ten teams with the same record or a better one. in 2011 MSU finished higher in the conference AND beat us head-to-head, and we STILL went to a better bowl game than they did.

Maybe it's just me then. Fair enough.

In 1973 Big 10 commissioners voted to send OSU to the Rose Bowl after the two teams met undefeated and the game ended tied.

In 1997, the coaches voted the coaches championship to Nebraska after the AP had announced Michigan as the national champions.

Those are the two that come to mind.

Before I make points that this situation is different, is there anything I?m missing?

Back